General Premier League chat 17/18

BOF

Let's rather annoyingly start with a Huddersfield Town story.  Annoying because they're in the Premier League and we're not.

Good guy Dean Hoyle.

Loyal Huddersfield fans can watch home Premier League games for £5.26

Loyal Huddersfield fans can watch home Premier League games for £5.26

Chairman Dean Hoyle honours pledge made in 2010 to 4,000 steadfast fans
Hoyle promised Huddersfield season card would cost £100 in Premier League
3000.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Dean Hoyle has honoured his pledge to enable thousands of Huddersfield Town fans to watch Premier League home games for little more than a fiver a time next season.

The Huddersfield chairman promised in 2010 that fans who had held season cards throughout his tenure as chairman would pay £100 for one if the club reached the Premier League. He took over as chairman in 2009.

David Wagner steered Huddersfield back to the top flight, in which they last played in 1972, with a shootout win in last month’s Championship play-off final.

“Over 4,000 fans who have had season cards for the entirety of Dean Hoyle’s tenure as chairman will receive mail from the club this week,” the club said on their website.

“The Town chairman made a Premier Pledge back in 2010; that season cards for fans who had a season card in every year of his time as chairman would be £100 if the club reached the Premier League.

“This week, that pledge has been rolled out, with the 4,000-plus eligible fans receiving mail in the post.”

The club said fans who qualified would receive three options: a £99 refund on their 2017-18 season card, which costs £199 for adults; a voucher worth £110 to spend in the club’s shops; or to donate their £99 refund to the Town Foundation charity, with Hoyle adding an extra £26 donation.

“Eligible fans will also receive a special memento from the club to thank them for their continued support,” the club added.

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I expect another season of overhyped bullshit, outrageous sums of money being spent on average players and the salesmen (commentators/pundits/presenters) at Sky telling you that it's still the 'best league in the world'.  

Exactly why I hate the PL now. I mean if they spent all that tv money on the cream of the crop players it would be one thing and actually exciting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Exactly why I hate the PL now. I mean if they spent all that tv money on the cream of the crop players it would be one thing and actually exciting.

I think it's just the basic economics of it all, English clubs suddenly get a surge in income, as a result, prices will rise because selling clubs will set their reserve prices a lot higher. English football is doomed.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

price goes up quality goes down, been happening for years now

the only thing missing from your post @Dr_Pangloss was a comment about the excuses following the inevitable shit show at the world cup because after struggling to use the words best and entertaining they're slowly drifting towards the worlds hardest league, strange how its only the english players that suffer from it though...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I didn't watch a single minute of a single PL game last season. I won't be this season either. Couldn't give a toss about 'Pep and Jose. All a load of hyped up ****. 

Much rather watch footy abroad.

• Like 2

West Ham defender Angelo Ogbonna has signed a new five-year contract at the Premier League club.

Ogbonna, who joined the Hammers from Juventus in 2015, is now committed to the club until the summer of 2022.

The 29-year-old missed almost the entire second half of last season following knee surgery in January, returning for the final match.

"I think we have a long season ahead and my target is to be better than last season," Ogbonna told the club website.

"I'm really grateful for this new deal."

Ogbonna, who has played 13 times for Italy, is expected to be fit enough to join West Ham's pre-season tour of Germany and Austria.

What a time to be a PL footballer. That's retirement sorted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40462345

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What a time to be a PL footballer. That's retirement sorted.

Indeed. Why strive for being the best you can when you can easily become fabulously wealthy by being average. 

I understand the contract. Ogbonna was pretty good for West ham and as mentioned he has been out for a little bit, so his price is probably lower. He also probably has a few good years in him, so this way West Ham lock him into a contract and keep any other clubs away. 

• 2 weeks later...

Premier League clubs are heading towards financial ruin

Date published: Monday 10th July 2017 8:01

Premier League clubs are hurtling towards bankruptcy due to chronic overspending, according to a new report by financial analysts Vysyble.

The report also claims the long-term implications of those losses could be a breakaway by the league’s biggest clubs and the creation of a European Super League.

Titled ‘We’re so Rich it’s Unbelievable’, the document is based on the accounts of all Premier League clubs between 2008/09 and 2015/16, the last season for which data is available.

Based on the principle of “economic profit” – the difference between revenue and costs, including the so-called “opportunity of cost” of not doing something else with your money – the report claims Premier League clubs lost £2billion in eight years.

One of the report’s co-authors, Roger Bell, said: “Financially, football is failing. Britain’s biggest football clubs are spending much, much more than they are making.

“The Premier League, and its executive chairman Richard Scudamore, should be very worried.

“Our analysis shows clubs are losing a record £876,700 every single day. Despite TV bringing in huge amounts of cash every year, it does not meet the many millions spent on players’ wages.

“Clubs needs to face reality about their dire financial situation before they can’t afford to pay the bills and some go to the wall.”

This stark warning runs counter to most recent analyses of the Premier League’s financial health, with many experts pointing to restrictions on excessive spending introduced after Portsmouth’s collapse in 2012 and the gravity-defying rise in broadcast revenues.

But Vysyble’s John Purcell told Press Association Sport he and Bell disagree with the view that football clubs are better run now than they were a decade ago.

“Most of them are spending a lot more than they’re taking in,” said Purcell.

“Across the league, clubs are losing £8.80 for every £100 they bring in, and that’s based on 2015-16. I suspect it will be more like £12-13 now. The game is facing massive financial and structural risk.”

Purcell said only five clubs made an economic profit in 2015/16, the worst performance since 2012/13, with Chelsea and Manchester City accounting for more than half of the league’s total losses over the report’s eight-year period.

The report’s findings, however, will raise eyebrows among many fans, as it ranks relegated Norwich City ahead of champions Leicester City in its ‘Profitability Index’ for 2015/16 and notes that Blackpool managed five straight years in profit as they plummeted down the league pyramid.

The report does, though, commend Burnley for their sustainable approach, point out that Leicester managed the rare feat of making a profit while winning the league and say Spurs are the most profitable club since 2008.

The real crunch for the Premier League, according to Bell and Purcell, will come when the 70 per cent three-yearly increases in domestic TV rights dry up.

Purcell said: “We’re getting to the point where the cycle of ever bigger domestic TV deals is unsustainable.

“I think we’ve had seven renewals since 1991 and they work to a formula – if we follow the trend, the next deal will have to clear £8billion.

“I don’t think there is any way BT or Sky can commit to that kind of money. OK, you can put on more live games, and we’ve seen that trend already, but ultimately dilutes the product.

“I suspect we are heading towards a European Super League where the new breed of owners, many of them from North America, can organise the type of league they know and understand: fixed squads, salary caps, big TV events.

“That is when I think the likes of Amazon, Google and Facebook would get interested in football rights.”

Bell added: “The Premier League was formed to gain increased monies from broadcasting. There is nothing to stop the top six or seven clubs breaking away and joining forces with other top clubs from Italy, Spain, Germany etc, forming a European Super League and negotiating a Europe-wide or even global TV deal for many, many billions of pounds.”

Click

With amount of stupid money going around I am certainly not going to be surprised. 

I hope it all collapses and many clubs go bankrupt. Just sick of all the money in the Premier League and the wages and the prices paid for players, yet continued crap performances in the champions league but hey United win the Europa league so all is great. Good luck to Huddersfield, good luck to Brighton. I like Eddie Howe and Bournemouth and that's it. Leicester ruffled a few feathers for a short time and that was good. 

City or Chelsea for the title. Everton to finish 7th or 8th. We know the teams that will struggle against relegation. Its boring and predicatable. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I hope it all collapses and many clubs go bankrupt. Just sick of all the money in the Premier League and the wages and the prices paid for players, yet continued crap performances in the champions league but hey United win the Europa league so all is great. Good luck to Huddersfield, good luck to Brighton. I like Eddie Howe and Bournemouth and that's it. Leicester ruffled a few feathers for a short time and that was good. 

City or Chelsea for the title. Everton to finish 7th or 8th. We know the teams that will struggle against relegation. Its boring and predicatable. 

Its lame not competitive whatsoever. even if we get back bets we can ever hope for is top 6. 

5 hours ago, sne said:

PL clubs have spent a combined £571m since the transfer window opened...

Actually that was a few days ago.

What a farce.

have been away so have only heard really the Lukaku and Lacazette deals. With money like that you would expect teams to be signing world class players

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

have been away so have only heard really the Lukaku and Lacazette deals. With money like that you would expect teams to be signing world class players

Utd could have signed Aubameyang instead of Lukaku and still have some decent change left over. Madness.

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Utd could have signed Aubameyang instead of Lukaku and still have some decent change left over. Madness.

4 years older so maybe that is why the price similar. Lukaku should increase his value