John Terry

Farlz

Baker wanted regular 1st team football, which he was never going to get with Terry and Chester here. That’s why I think we allowed him to move on. Definitely preferred him to the others though.

6-8 weeks is the suggestion from the internet. At least the international break is here to knock off a couple of weeks from that. I imagine though Villa have slightly better resources than the NHS so maybe quicker... I reckon we will see him back some time in December which would still mean a minimum of 4 games out.

Jedinak would probably be my first choice, though given Samba scored he might get the nod. We have got De Laet, Bree and Hutton who all played there during pre season don’t forget. Don’t think we will be buying a CB in January.

If I see Richards there though I might just walk out...

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We had to sell Baker to avoid fines or even points deduction. Can't blame Bruce for that one.

hhhhmmm not sure. 

Could have easily bought a cheaper option to Hogan so he wasn't forced to sell his CB in the summer. Also nobody forced him to buy Bree and Bjarnasson which in hindsight admittedly are equally wasteful signings. His choices, his responsibility. 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

This is why it was stupid to sell Baker. not a knock on Terry but inept management

FFP meant we needed the cash - the inept part was when money was tight buying  hogan and Bree for £15m plus when both have failed to nail down a place in the team - 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

hhhhmmm not sure. 

Could have easily bought a cheaper option to Hogan so he wasn't forced to sell his CB in the summer. Also nobody forced him to buy Bree and Bjarnasson which in hindsight admittedly are equally wasteful signings. His choices, his responsibility. 

But is it a mangers responsibility to look at how much a club is spending and if they are in line with FFP? If he was told in January if he made those signings he would have to sell certain players he would rather keep and not have any money in the summer then fair enough. 

But from how he speaks in interviews it doesn't seem he was aware that was the case.

He doe share responsibility for his signings that have flopped. But it's debatable if he is to blame for the money spent on them. 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

FFP meant we needed the cash - the inept part was when money was tight buying  hogan and Bree for £15m plus when both have failed to nail down a place in the team - 

Club were able to tell him the summer there is no money. Couldn't they do that in January? 

The club are as much to blame as Bruce.

40 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I dont recall any one saying this when we bought them!

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I dont recall any one saying this when we bought them!

When we bought them we assumed it was with a plan as to how they would fit into the first team - when money is tight you cannot afford to use £15m on players who sit on the bench .

For whatever reason neither signing has worked as we hoped - we have plenty cover at right back and in hogans case play a totally different way to how he was used at Brentford .

of course we weren’t saying this at the time as we were not aware how close we were to ffp .

Back on topic let’s hope JT will be back before the new year - at best it could be 6 weeks and 2 of those are the international break , he will be sorely missed .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Baker wanted regular 1st team football, which he was never going to get with Terry and Chester here. That’s why I think we allowed him to move on. Definitely preferred him to the others though.

6-8 weeks is the suggestion from the internet. At least the international break is here to knock off a couple of weeks from that. I imagine though Villa have slightly better resources than the NHS so maybe quicker... I reckon we will see him back some time in December which would still mean a minimum of 4 games out.

Jedinak would probably be my first choice, though given Samba scored he might get the nod. We have got De Laet, Bree and Hutton who all played there during pre season don’t forget. Don’t think we will be buying a CB in January.

If I see Richards there though I might just walk out...

I wasn't sure what you meant about Samba scoring then. I left after the disallowed goal and have ignored all coverage of the game since so had no idea we had scored till I read your post! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wasn't sure what you meant about Samba scoring then. I left after the disallowed goal and have ignored all coverage of the game since so had no idea we had scored till I read your post! 

We hit the cross bar with an overhead kick too. Fantastic last 5 minutes!

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We had to sell Baker to avoid fines or even points deduction. Can't blame Bruce for that one.

We didn't have to. It was a decision. We could have, for instance, got rid of someone else. 

We're screwed without Terry, our back up options are an absolute joke and that is solely on Bruce. 

I really don’t think Bree was a poor signing. What I’ve seen of him he looks decent enough when played but Bruce chooses not to play him on a regular basis.

The loss of Terry is a blow alright not only for his playing ability but his organisational skills and leadership qualities. Those last two traits will be a bigger loss than the first.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, striker said:

I really don’t think Bree was a poor signing. What I’ve seen of him he looks decent enough when played but Bruce chooses not to play him on a regular basis.

The loss of Terry is a blow alright not only for his playing ability but his organisational skills and leadership qualities. Those last two traits will be a bigger loss than the first.

Not saying Bree s a poor  player but when money was tight it should have been spent on players for the first team . 

Bree has potential but for whatever reason seems 4th choice right back now 

Terry is the last  player we needed injured as he’s a massive part of the team - I hope he stays involved at bodymoor during his recOvery as he is a positive influence 

Edited by Eastie

16 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Screwed without him tbh, need to invest heavily in Jan on a centre half. Perhaps Bruce should have rested him more? He's nearly 37 FFS and has played far too many consecutive matches. 

Not sure how resting him would have stopped a championship player from kicking him, but agreed - devastating news. I understand why Baker wanted to go, but terrible decision not to replace him with someone better than Samba.

Â