John Terry

Farlz

7 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

We're far too underachieving. I rather pick players on ability and potential to improve the side rather than being Mr Nasty,

We've tried that approach! 

On a serious note was JT one of the best defenders of a generation. If he can even perform at 50% of what he is capable of then we have the first defender in the league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

We'll 'probably' promote a guy with no managerial experience to rescue us from a poor start in a season in which we need to get promoted?

Depends if you think it was he or di Matteo that won the Champions League for Chelsea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

facts    ?

The fact is he was fined by his club 2 weeks wages following this incident in the hotel. What he did was alleged but he clearly did something to warrant the fine.  

The fact is the F.A found him guilty of racism, let's not forget he was England captain at the time. But of course you weren't there so you can't pass judgement. 

Have to say, the whole ignorance of facts because he might wear a villa shirt at some point is such primary school level. It's the sort of thing kids do, they just love them because they play for their team. Laughable really. 

John Terry might be an excellent player for this club but it wouldn't excuse his previous behavior or make him a better person. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

and there by the grace of god go many,many pro footballers.

So me how many pro footballers have the same number of incidents as him? It's a very very small minority. 

Edited by DCJonah

9 hours ago, AJ said:

Last season, when there was speculation about that we might sign Joey Barton, I was deeply entrenched in the "opposed" camp. I was against Barton because he had a history of being a dick towards his team mates and the club he plays for. In my opinion, he was not what we needed when we were in the delicate process of a club and team overhaul.

A lot of John Terry's assholery was done in his twenties, and he hasn't been in the papers for the wrong reasons for a while now. The last I heard was when he joined in celebrating with Chelsea in his kit, even though he didn't play.

I still stand firm in my " No Dickheads" policy towards players who want to join my favourite football club, but this is a toughie. Yes, Terry was a dickhead. So was Bozza after he left Villa, but he has settled down and become a very likeable and very sensible pundit for football in Australia. Has John Terry matured? I hope so.

As a signing, there is an element of gamble, but there are some benefits to signing John Terry. Granted, the body might be slower, but the space between the ears might never be better. As others have mentioned, he would have that drawing power for us to sign better players. I am all for that.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I believe he was 30/31 when he had to give up the England captaincy before the F.A stripped him of it when they found him guilty of racially abusing a fellow player. 

My main worry about Terry is that he was shit in his last few appearances for Chelsea, loads of mistakes and way off the pace. It looked like time had caught up with him from what I was seeing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KHV said:

My main worry about Terry is that he was shit in his last few appearances for Chelsea, loads of mistakes and way off the pace. It looked like time had caught up with him from what I was seeing.

He didn't play too many matches for Chelsea last season so match fitness may have been a problem. Not sure how you define "last few" games but in the four matches he played in April/May, Chelsea's record was played 4, won 4, so his performances weren't so disastrous as to lose any matches.

Maybe you are thinking of the Watford game where he made a mistake and gifted Watford an easy chance that led to a goal. Yes, that was a mistake. Like the "mistake" he made of scoring Chelsea's first goal, I guess. 

• Like 2

I don't think lack of fitness was the main reason he made only very limited first team appearances for Chelsea last season. I would suggest it was more likely that Conte did not see him as a first choice for their defence (they had a few more options than we have) so played others there instead.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We'll 'probably' promote a guy with no managerial experience to rescue us from a poor start in a season in which we need to get promoted?

Didn't look like that though when RDM was at Chelsea.

Sorry just noted another poster stating the same thing.

Edited by striker

59 minutes ago, KHV said:

I didn’t see enough of him last season to judge whether time had caught up with him or as @briny_ear said above whether the fact he looked rusty was due to a lack of game time/match fitness when he did play.

There is no point kidding ourselves though time is clearly not on his side and certainly in terms of playing for a club looking to win the league/Champs league he is past it. He may also be past it in terms of playing for a side looking to finish top 6 in the top flight.

I think even a slightly over the hill John Terry is good enough for a mid to lower table top flight club and most definitely good enough for a Championship Club looking to get promoted. Those are exactly the clubs looking at him. Bournemouth, Swansea, West Brom etc.

Whilst no one is expecting, in terms of performances, the John Terry that was good enough to play week in week out for one of the best sides in the country for 16 years if he comes to us he won’t be playing for a club at anything like that level. Being capable of playing well in the Championship is a long way from having to do it in the Premier League.

Regardless of him perhaps being on the wane in terms of ability what he won’t have lost is any of his on, and off, the pitch leadership skills and that is as vital to us as what he can bring in terms of playing ability.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

The fact is he was fined by his club 2 weeks wages following this incident in the hotel. What he did was alleged but he clearly did something to warrant the fine.  

The fact is the F.A found him guilty of racism, let's not forget he was England captain at the time. But of course you weren't there so you can't pass judgement. 

Have to say, the whole ignorance of facts because he might wear a villa shirt at some point is such primary school level. It's the sort of thing kids do, they just love them because they play for their team. Laughable really. 

John Terry might be an excellent player for this club but it wouldn't excuse his previous behavior or make him a better person. 

Bit harsh don't you think?

John Terry has obviously learned from his stupid mistakes (I quite like the fact he has a nasty streak in him, it's something we, as a club, have lacked for decades), got on with being, in my eyes, a model pro and citizen and the people he has wronged have done the same, that's what adults do.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Drunk in a hotel weeks after 9/11. Allegedly mocking Americans and laughing at them. However Chelsea fined him and others 2 weeks wages so he was clearly doing something inappropriate. 

Didn't he also hire out his box at Wembley to ticket touts?  He wasn't in his early 20s then either. 

That, the racism, the Wayne Bridge carry on and his general thugishness means I wouldn't go anywhere near this one. 

It might perhaps be a dilemma (it would still be a no from me)  if we were getting John Terry @ 31-33.   But we're not.  

Aston Villa do not expect progress in their bid to sign John Terry until next week after making a contract offer to the former England captain.

The Championship club have offered a lucrative package to Terry, 36, whose deal with Chelsea expires on 30 June.

But Villa know that many offers have been made to the centre-back, including one from local rivals Birmingham.

Terry has been training hard while on holiday in Portugal, posting updates of training regimes on social media.

He has also been pictured on a number of occasions playing golf with Villa manager Steve Bruce, who is also in Portugal during the summer break.

Analysis

Bruce is a long-term admirer of Terry, valuing his leadership qualities. If he had been appointed as England manager in the summer of 2016, Bruce planned to bring Terry into his coaching set-up, working with defenders.

Bruce feels Villa lack players with the necessary character who can deal with the pressures of playing for such a big club.

He believes Terry would be the ideal leader to galvanise the squad and would make him captain.

But the lure of carrying on as a Premier League player - with Swansea, Bournemouth and West Bromwich Albion all interested in Terry - may disappoint Villa.

An eye-watering offer from Turkish club Galatasaray is another factor, if money proves a major consideration to Terry. There is also definite interest from China and the United States.

He is not short of interest from many clubs and, if Terry did plump for Aston Villa, it would be a major coup for Bruce.

You can't argue the part in bold

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So John Terry....

Never ever.... ever did I think we would be liked with signing him. It's a funny old game as little legend called Jimmy used to say.

It is impossible to discuss Terry without discussing both the man and the player.

Terry the player, has quite simply been one of the finest English CB's of the last 20 years in an era where we've really not been short of great CB's.

His positional sense and reading of the game have been exceptional throughout his career. So much so that they have allowed him to be a dominant CB at domestic, European and International level despite not having the physical attributes of great height, strength or pace that are normally in the locker of great modern day CB's.

Then there is his grit, his desire to win and his leadership.

Terry has been an exceptional CB not through physical attributes but mental ones.

It remains to be seen if the passion and will remain, if they will burn quite so bright in a man of 36/37 no longer mixing it with the best at the highest level. Will he still want to win quite so much playing for a Swansea, Small Heath or Villa?

If we did land him would he be a Paul McGrath or a Ronny Johnson.

One thing for certain for me is that if Villa are to sign a CB of that age I would always want it to be one that depended on mental attributes rather than physical.

So that is Terry the player, sadly though you have to talk about Terry the man. The man ridiculed by most football fans and detested by many, the man Chelsea players and fans describe as a living legend.

John Terry divides opinion, perhaps like no other player, I struggle to think of one who evokes such passionate alternate opinions.

Lets cut to the chase, he has done some bad things and not just to the former Mrs Bridge!!!

Selling trips around Cobham wasn't good neither was the incident with American tourists at Heathrow in the aftermath of 9/11. Then there is the allegation of assault on a bouncer (he was cleared), the fine for parking in a disabled space, then there is the Anton Ferdinand issue. 

Not a great list really but few players go through a 20 year career at the top without a bit of a charge sheet.

Then we have his kit antics and that farewell. Which frankly make him look a bit of a tit. 

But then there is the other side of Terry. The side that pays for the funeral of a child. The Terry that on hearing a young Chelsea player had suffered a serious injury on his comeback after 11 months out sent him and his family on an all expenses paid holiday. Or when he paid for driving lessons for all the Chelsea youth team in the days when they were on £80 a week.

Then you have what players, managers say about him. What Chelsea fans think of him and I have to say the first hand experience meeting him of fans of other sides, I know a number of them who say he simply couldn't have been nicer.

JT captain, leader, legend. That's the banner at the Bridge and it will be there next season wherever he lays his hat the Bridge will always be his home.

But that banner is incomplete, it should really say JT captain, leader, legend, enigma.

My view on Terry has fluctuated down the years, sometime from week to week. I don't really blame anyone for what they think of him, a case can convincingly be made for saint or sinner, the truth is somewhere in between.

What can't be in doubt is his quality on a pitch and the qualities he brings off a pitch to a team.

Sure he isn't the Terry of 5 years ago but as I said before he was never particularly quick anyway.

Villa have been soft for years now. The mentality at the club is weak and the will to win well frankly I think that left with O'Neill. 

I want a team and players who want to win at all costs, Terry whatever you think about him and how ever much he has faded is certainly that.

So if he lands at VP I will be delighted. Because to be frank, something needs to f'ing change at the club.

And personally, I'm quite happy to put aside any previously held views I've had of Terry if he can help bring about that change because I'm sick and tired of watching the pathetic, gutless tripe we've witnessed for the best part of a decade now.

Still wouldn't leave him anywhere near the Mrs though. 

Great post!

My main (and only real big issue) with him is over just how poor he looked last season.

I watched at least 7-8 games with him and he stood out in a bad way in all but 1 of those. It wasn't Lescott bad, but he was a shadow of his former self. His passing still was top notch thou for a CB.

This impression is corroborated when looking at his performance stats from last season, they are grim.

But that was in the PL against much better teams and players.

If he has the motivation and drive to play for us he would bring a lot, and with more regular playing time I'm sure his performances would improve.

Not sure on this one, but I would not wan't him to sign for any other promotion candidate, I think...

Edited by sne

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Great post!

My main (and only real big issue) with him is over just how poor he looked last season.

I watched at least 7-8 games with him and he stood out in a bad way in all but 1 of those. It wasn't Lescott bad, but he was a shadow of his former self. His passing still was top notch thou for a CB.

This impression is corroborated when looking at his performance stats from last season, they are grim.

But that was in the PL against much better teams and players.

If he has the motivation and drive to play for us he would bring a lot, and with more regular playing time I'm sure his performances would improve.

Not sure on this one, but I would not wan't him to sign for any other promotion candidate, I think...

I watched Villa about 30 times last season and we were dog shit bad in most of them, to question Terry's talent or ability to improve us is a bit of a moot point in my eyes. 

Â