John Terry

Farlz

I think he's really beginning to showcase great vision and defensive intelligence now. Yes, he can get done for pace and can get caught out but a lot of the time he seems to stepping in to the right place and playing the ball away well.

My Dada thinks him and Chester don't communicate with each other. I'm going to keep my eye on this during the next few games, I always assumed Terry would be a big talker to the whole team during a match which would obviously include Chester.

Maybe it's Chester not talking to Terry?

The only thing that he and Chester can't really deal with is a lot of strength IMO. You can legislate for pace with your positioning and anticipation but if somebody is stronger than you, you'll struggle in the air and when they're shielding the ball. We saw that a bit with Murphy the other day. 

19 hours ago, 8pints said:

I think he's really beginning to showcase great vision and defensive intelligence now. Yes, he can get done for pace and can get caught out but a lot of the time he seems to stepping in to the right place and playing the ball away well.

My Dada thinks him and Chester don't communicate with each other. I'm going to keep my eye on this during the next few games, I always assumed Terry would be a big talker to the whole team during a match which would obviously include Chester.

Maybe it's Chester not talking to Terry?

I think they're both quiet and that's why it's took a bit longer for them to gel. Chester has looked shaky but both now seem to have settled brilliantly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

The only thing that he and Chester can't really deal with is a lot of strength IMO. You can legislate for pace with your positioning and anticipation but if somebody is stronger than you, you'll struggle in the air and when they're shielding the ball. We saw that a bit with Murphy the other day. 

This is where Baker was a good asset.

I don't think you can rely on two relatively small "ball playing" Centre Halves all the time, especially not down here, and when the rest of the team arent brilliant.

Having said that, it's probably easier when Jedi is in the mix.

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't think you can rely on two relatively small "ball playing" Centre Halves all the time, especially not down here, and when the rest of the team arent brilliant.

I think Terry's strength has sapped a bit with age - Samba can fulfil that requirement if desperate, I suppose. 

I was a bit sad to see Baker go, really - he'd come along nicely as a CB but he wanted first team. Seems to be doing well at Bristol anyway. 

• Like 1

We may have shown alot of short-termism by getting shot of Baker and signing Terry but Ive got to say its an absolute pleasure watching him play in a Villa shirt. Consummate, commanding, assured on the ball. At his age it proves what a class act he is. Signing a legend of the game coming to the end of their career is always risky but for every Pires/Ginola there is a chance you will get a Merson. Im hoping that in a year or two we will be able to look back on JT in the same vein

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

We may have shown alot of short-termism by getting shot of Baker and signing Terry but Ive got to say its an absolute pleasure watching him play in a Villa shirt. Consummate, commanding, assured on the ball. At his age it proves what a class act he is. Signing a legend of the game coming to the end of their career is always risky but for every Pires/Ginola there is a chance you will get a Merson. Im hoping that in a year or two we will be able to look back on JT in the same vein

Would have been ideal to keep them both to be honest.

After starting all of last season, probably wasn't prepared to be bit part again, in combo with FFP.

If I'm not mistaken, he's played every minute of every league game so far?

I know we're only 9 games in, but I think he's already quelled the fears of some that he'd only manage 20 games this season.

(cue him breaking both his legs in the next game)

• Like 1

The biggest difference is how calm we look when we have the ball at the back; Its chalk and cheese what the two offer here offer here.

It was horrible watching the ball get to Baker last year!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, London Villa said:

My Mom just text me to say JT has moved into the apartment downstairs from her in Sutton. 

Dont know what this tells us but I'll be visiting my mom a lot more often over the next few months.

Could tell us he's having an affair with your mom? It is JT after all.

15 minutes ago, London Villa said:

My Mom just text me to say JT has moved into the apartment downstairs from her in Sutton. 

Dont know what this tells us but I'll be visiting my mom a lot more often over the next few months.

Where in Sutton?

I want see if I can run into him in the supermarket.

On 26/09/2017 at 09:57, Stevo985 said:

If I'm not mistaken, he's played every minute of every league game so far?

I know we're only 9 games in, but I think he's already quelled the fears of some that he'd only manage 20 games this season.

(cue him breaking both his legs in the next game)

Yes I was one of those who thought he would struggle but for the most part he has been excellent so far. Really enjoy watching him ping the ball to a team mate even when under pressure which is a Godsend in this league.

On 25/09/2017 at 20:36, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We have samba if brute strength is all that is desired

Â