John Terry

Farlz

I think Terry is desperately trying to prove that he's still a top quality CB. He's taking to many risks instead of doing the simple thing. Do agree with an earlier post that Chester hasn't been as good as last season.

Essentially what's happened is that we've ruined what was the strongest part of our team last season.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, benireduk said:

I think Terry is desperately trying to prove that he's still a top quality CB. He's taking to many risks instead of doing the simple thing. Do agree with an earlier post that Chester hasn't been as good as last season.

Essentially what's happened is that we've ruined what was the strongest part of our team last season.  

So true, Chester looked much better alongside Baker.

22 hours ago, benireduk said:

I think Terry is desperately trying to prove that he's still a top quality CB. He's taking to many risks instead of doing the simple thing.

I still maintain he's never been top class. He's been a decent stopper surrounded by significantly better players. Whenever he's been put under any pressure or exposed by better opposition his failings become all too apparent.

22 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

So true, Chester looked much better alongside Baker.

The difference for me is that Baker (although with his own flaws) lunged in and covered for Chester at times. Terry doesn't do that as he's too old for it and doesn't throw himself to the ground like before. So Chester will need to cover for Terry instead, which leaves Chester more exposed.

I still admit though that Terry brings a lot passing wise, his range of passing and accuracy is often really good. As long as we contiune to line up with most of our players in front of our own penalty area we will probably be alright defensively, with or without Terry (even though on Saturday is was pure luck and because of Johnstone that we didn't concede).  

Untested defensively tonight.

But his superior technique on the ball shone through. So comfortable with the ball, even in those conditions. And some of his passes were better than our midfielders. 

In fact he was playing like a midfielder half the time.

Under a manager who actually plays football that could be a huge asset.

• Like 3

Expected a little more from his as a leadership. Where's the getting in the refs face after every decision like he used to do. Middlesbrough did it straight away to the ref following the Lansbury tackle and off he went. Old school Terry would have been there a few times. (It's not a trait I like but, that's what he is there for).

Passing and technique he is superb!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Expected a little more from his as a leadership. Where's the getting in the refs face after every decision like he used to do. Middlesbrough did it straight away to the ref following the Lansbury tackle and off he went. Old school Terry would have been there a few times. (It's not a trait I like but, that's what he is there for).

Passing and technique he is superb!

Could have sworn i saw him in the refs face after Lansbury incident. He and Chester have been a little better.. starting to gel maybe?

Have to agree with the above, his touch last night taking down high balls was exceptional, albeit he wasn't put under much pressure from the Middlesborough forwards, and his long passing was spot on, apart from the one late on on the half way line.

I do think however he doesn't seem to have the same 'fist-pumping' lets get at them attitude he had at Chelsea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KSV said:

Could have sworn i saw him in the refs face after Lansbury incident. He and Chester have been a little better.. starting to gel maybe?

I appreciated the urgency from him yesterday, and he wasn't the only one. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

IMO he's been ok - but not the towering 'they shall not pass' defender that he was in his prime. He also seems very quiet on the pitch.

I agree with the first part, but then again did we expect him to be like he was in his prime?

Disagree witht he second bit though. He's always talking.

Excellent positioning, which enabled him to make some very important clearances and interceptions from some dangerous moments.

He also gets away with loads, you're not going to get a Championship ref giving a penalty against former England captain JT!

Â