John Terry

Farlz

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't agree actually. 

He was at fault, but his mistake was he tried at the last second to step up and play Oliveira offside but was a fraction too late. Ball had already been played. 

If he'd stepped up a second earlier or later he'd have probably been fine. 

That's what I thought too... I think some of that comes from knowing your CB partner, him and Chester probably haven't quite spent long enough together to know each other fully just yet. 

Whilst he's not in his prime he is still capable off defending at this level. The big plus for me is that when the ball comes to him his headers and passes find team mates which allow us to continue with possession. Whilst I did like Baker an immense frustration of mine was the number of times he headed the ball forwards with just power and no aim which went straight to the opposition allied to this his passes were either long balls that no one got on the end off or passed straight to the opposition. 

So for me, at the moment, Terry is a better option.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Still think it was a very dumb decision selling Baker.

Is that "head injury Baker". he was never this level, just a league 1 sweeper, a grafter at most

Iv'e always said his old man must have a big job at the Premiership for him to ever play football in that league.

I could never see the sense in signing John Terry and then selling Baker when Villa already had a settled centreback partnership which was working.

When you then consider wages and mooted bonuses paid to Terry would it not have been much better to stick with Baker especially if Villa are promoted this season. Ready made Premiership CB partnership to take into next season but Terry will be too slow for the Premiership and Villa will be looking at paying substantial money on a replacement.

Edited by striker

From what Bruce and co have said, signing Terry and selling Baker wasn't the plan. 

They said the Baker situation came around unexpectedly and they felt they couldn't really turn the offer down. I'd assume Baker was quite open to going too. 

I think yesterday showed more of his leadership. When we conceded the second Norwich were in the ascendency and could easily have come back stronger. You could see Terry having words with everyone around the pitch, which I think really helped.

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think yesterday showed more of his leadership. When we conceded the second Norwich were in the ascendency and could easily have come back stronger. You could see Terry having words with everyone around the pitch, which I think really helped.

Also at the start of the game at the kick off he was having a good chat with Davis. That is one of the major reasons he is here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, striker said:

I could never see the sense in signing John Terry and then selling Baker when Villa already had a settled centreback partnership which was working.

When you then consider wages and mooted bonuses paid to Terry would it not have been much better to stick with Baker especially if Villa are promoted this season. Ready made Premiership CB partnership to take into next season but Terry will be too slow for the Premiership and Villa will be looking at paying substantial money on a replacement.

Wouldn't have wanted baker in the premiership - this is his level . 

If promoted there will be plenty cash to spend on upgrading the team .

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Also at the start of the game at the kick off he was having a good chat with Davis. That is one of the major reasons he is here.

Doesn't help villa of course but From the avtv stream it looked like he had a good long chat with Murphy from Norwich  at full time , looked to be along the lines of well played and offering him some encouragement 

i could be wrong of course,  he might have been trying to get his sisters phone number ...

I thought he was in the main solid, and his leadership was plain to see. Yes you could argue he was at fault for the goal but everyone makes mistakes.

What we have to remember he is only 4 games in playing in a new team. Any other new signing would be given far more grace. It seems because his name is John Terry, some have the knives out already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Wouldn't have wanted baker in the premiership - this is his level . 

If promoted there will be plenty cash to spend on upgrading the team .

I totally agree with you - I'm not even convinced that Baker is top 6 championship material.

Terry has lost/forgot more than Baker could bring to the party.

credit where it's due however Baker is a grafter and I do sincerely wish him well.

• Like 1

Lol amazing how good baker has become since he left. A complete donkey but with the heart of a lion. Loved his bravey and wish him well but come on. A mistake to replace him with terry??? Baffling suggestion.

Terry yesterday mopped up a lot of the balls baker would put into his own net or head straight to the opposition.

Majority of the goals conceded so far have been down to hutton being in no mans land.

Still a great bit of business for me on so many levels. We will not miss baker at all.

Terry made a horrible, no look back pass and was fortunate that Johnstone was out quickly in that instance.   In the second, I agree he stepped up a fraction late but he should not have been 6 yards away from the opponent to begin with, and a late step up is still an error.  It's still on him, but not proof that he's lost it and a terrible player.  Proof that he made two errors in a position where errors can be extremely costly.

4 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Terry made a horrible, no look back pass and was fortunate that Johnstone was out quickly in that instance.   In the second, I agree he stepped up a fraction late but he should not have been 6 yards away from the opponent to begin with, and a late step up is still an error.  It's still on him, but not proof that he's lost it and a terrible player.  Proof that he made two errors in a position where errors can be extremely costly.

It's definitely still his error. 

But I think stepping up a fraction late is better than not having a clue the striker was there, which is what was suggested earlier. 

• Like 1

Â