John Terry

Farlz

Just now, DCJonah said:

Yep. And if it's just that incident you say he's a kid being stupid. But it's one of a few throughout his career. Hence he's a piece of shit IMO.

Yes I admit he comes over a  complete dick

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

To be honest, probably not much. If he leads us to promotion, we will be cheering him with the rest of them. 

My original point was aimed at the idea a lot of the stuff about him is just paper reports. When in fact there's clearly documented evidence of his shitty behaviour. 

I am very sceptical of "documented evidence" until i see or hear the facts for myself, its usually via the media we get our news......I keep an open mind.

unfortunately, we form opinions on other writers reports....unless of course we are privvy to cases and then we can form our own opinions.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You're just choosing to ignore facts because he might be signing for your club. 

That's fine. 

I take it you don't make judgements about anyone then if you require every single detail of numerous events in order to do so. 

I am sceptical of other peoples views of someone.....i.e newspaper reporters particularly.

Pictures have a habit of being painted to suit the author.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So the FA finding him guilty of racism isn't a fact to you? 

His club fining him for lewd behaviour in public isn't a fact to you?

Everything whole Wayne Bridge incident isn't a fact for you?

Like I said, you're ignoring facts. 

No they are not facts to me.

I just have to go on their judgment......If i was in those hearings, I could agree/disagree.....but I was not so they are not facts to me.

They are just judgments that have been passed on him.

I do not feel inclined to want to pass judgment on his character.....until I can judge him first hand for myself.....thats how I work.

I have had too many instances in my life, when I have met folk who have just not matched up to the reported character profile.

However, I am only interested in John Terry for his footballing abilities, his private life is not for my concern.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am very sceptical of "documented evidence" until i see or hear the facts for myself, its usually via the media we get our news......I keep an open mind.

unfortunately, we form opinions on other writers reports....unless of course we are privvy to cases and then we can form our own opinions.

He had an injunction from court for the Bridge incident and he also went to court for the Ferdinand incident while cleared they did refer to fact he said what he said

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. And if it's just that incident you say he's a kid being stupid. But it's one of a few throughout his career. Hence he's a piece of shit IMO.

and there by the grace of god go many,many pro footballers.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had an injunction from court for the Bridge incident and he also went to court for the Ferdinand incident while cleared they did refer to fact he said what he said

If he said what he said.........whatever that was ( and folk do say regretful things on the spur of the moment)why was he cleared?

you see, its already getting ambiguous......so I am dubious of these so called facts.

I like him as a footballer......end of.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

If he said what he said.........whatever that was ( and folk do say regretful things on the spur of the moment)why was he cleared?

you see, its already getting ambiguous......so I am dubious of these so called facts.

Maybe his lawyers used the Chewbacca defense? Worked for O.J

• Like 2

Last season, when there was speculation about that we might sign Joey Barton, I was deeply entrenched in the "opposed" camp. I was against Barton because he had a history of being a dick towards his team mates and the club he plays for. In my opinion, he was not what we needed when we were in the delicate process of a club and team overhaul.

A lot of John Terry's assholery was done in his twenties, and he hasn't been in the papers for the wrong reasons for a while now. The last I heard was when he joined in celebrating with Chelsea in his kit, even though he didn't play.

I still stand firm in my " No Dickheads" policy towards players who want to join my favourite football club, but this is a toughie. Yes, Terry was a dickhead. So was Bozza after he left Villa, but he has settled down and become a very likeable and very sensible pundit for football in Australia. Has John Terry matured? I hope so.

As a signing, there is an element of gamble, but there are some benefits to signing John Terry. Granted, the body might be slower, but the space between the ears might never be better. As others have mentioned, he would have that drawing power for us to sign better players. I am all for that.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AJ said:

Last season, when there was speculation about that we might sign Joey Barton, I was deeply entrenched in the "opposed" camp. I was against Barton because he had a history of being a dick towards his team mates and the club he plays for. In my opinion, he was not what we needed when we were in the delicate process of a club and team overhaul.

A lot of John Terry's assholery was done in his twenties, and he hasn't been in the papers for the wrong reasons for a while now. The last I heard was when he joined in celebrating with Chelsea in his kit, even though he didn't play.

I still stand firm in my " No Dickheads" policy towards players who want to join my favourite football club, but this is a toughie. Yes, Terry was a dickhead. So was Bozza after he left Villa, but he has settled down and become a very likeable and very sensible pundit for football in Australia. Has John Terry matured? I hope so.

As a signing, there is an element of gamble, but there are some benefits to signing John Terry. Granted, the body might be slower, but the space between the ears might never be better. As others have mentioned, he would have that drawing power for us to sign better players. I am all for that.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I would say Terry just seems a bit of an asshole but he is still a good professional and a winner. Joey Barton is just a nasty piece of work.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree. I regularly hurl racist abuse at family members of a coworker in the heat of the moment. It's just one of those things, they don't hold it against me. 

The so called facts you talk about were recorded and broadcast worldwide. They are just about as factual as they can be. 

I want Terry at the club and think he'd be a great signing because he's a big name and a fantastic footballer. But let's not start defending the indefensible before he's even signed? I don't see the point. Can't we be at peace with the fact we're signing English footballs pantomime villain and a great defender? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I heard from somebody that knew him that he is a bit of a scumbag. It's exactly what we need. We're far too nice.

We're far too underachieving. I rather pick players on ability and potential to improve the side rather than being Mr Nasty,

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I agree. I regularly hurl racist abuse at family members of a coworker in the heat of the moment. It's just one of those things, they don't hold it against me. 

The so called facts you talk about were recorded and broadcast worldwide. They are just about as factual as they can be. 

I want Terry at the club and think he'd be a great signing because he's a big name and a fantastic footballer. But let's not start defending the indefensible before he's even signed? I don't see the point. Can't we be at peace with the fact we're signing English footballs pantomime villain and a great defender? 

Link or lies.

To err is to be human ~ An essay on criticism, Alexander Pope.

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

I was defending my stance that I did not read all the things being referenced too, so I was not aware.

I do not support rascist abuse, but I do defend the right to be impartial when I don't know the detail of the case.

I Like you prefer to talk about the footballer as opposed to speaking about the players behaviour away from the pitch.....however i was just responding to another posters character assasination.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Drunk in a hotel weeks after 9/11. Allegedly mocking Americans and laughing at them. However Chelsea fined him and others 2 weeks wages so he was clearly doing something inappropriate. 

facts    ?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I do understand why some are bothered about his 'Off-field' character, particularly as in this  'magnifying glass' age we are all more and more accustomed to hearing bits and pieces of people's lives, and it's more and more common for such information to be debated and judged.

I must admit though, for myself, it's irrelevant.

Im not going to stop liking Rolf Harrisis paintings, or admiring aspects of JFKs Presidency, or  singing 'Won't get fooled again' or enjoying the writings of Oscar Wilde, or anything else because of aspects, or alleged aspects, of the character of the individuals concerned which I become aware of.

I separate the producer of the thing from the thing itself because if I didn't, I'd have to stop engaging with any of it, because moral, legal, or taste related issues are absolutely everywhere.

The only time I apply an element of judging character - and even then only selectively, depending upon how I think it affects their suitability for the task required ,is if the person concerned is standing for MP.

Unless of course he signs for Blues, in which case ignore all that.......

• Like 2

Hopefully he provides valuable leadership and experience and can help develop a winning culture in the dressing room and not just take the piss like Richards & Lescott before him.

18 hours ago, striker said:

If this happens (I'm totally against it) and Villa get off to a poor start then Bruce is probably signing Villa's next manager.

We'll 'probably' promote a guy with no managerial experience to rescue us from a poor start in a season in which we need to get promoted?

• Like 1

Â