John Terry

Farlz

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have no idea what John Terry is really like just reports in newspapers.

We have had players in the past who were not the nicest of folk....i.e steve Hodge.

We need to focus on the issues of what they bring to the pitch.

I don't have to like players......but i do have to rate them......and i do rate him.

It's really not just reports in papers. He's an absolute piece of shit as a person. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I have the same feeling with this signing as when we signed Lescott.

I'm certain it's going to backfire. However, I hope to be wrong. 

I think Terry, as a professional, is on a completely different scale to lescott. In terms of ability and attitude. Even at this age. Which is why I think this could be a very good signing.

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Posted this is the transfer thread, but thought I'd add it here. 

2 things on Terry. People making the Pires comparison is completely irrelevant. Pires had pretty much retired when he signed for us from memory. He's been out of contract for a long time. Terry has been playing and training with the Champions of England. 

Secondly, I couldn't give a toss what he's like as a person. I'll support him and the team come 3 o'clock/5.30pm/8.00pm/12 midday/7.45pm on a Saturday afternoon/Friday night/Sunday morning/Tuesday night if he's a nice bloke or not!

Fixed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's really not just reports in papers. He's an absolute piece of shit as a person. 

Really? I've generally heard the opposite from people. When did you meet him? 

• Like 2

I am just about erring on the side of thinking, or more hoping, this will be a good signing, but lets look at the potential pros and cons:

Firstly, he has been an exceptional defender throughout his career and we can hope he is still better than most in the Championship. What I really expect from him though, is that when the players go in at half time following the kind of performances we had to put up with last season, and there's nothing to suggest we won't continue to see more, he will give them a real shake up as he is a winner and will want those around him to have the same attitude and expectations. I simply don't think he will put up with the level of shite performances we have witnessed.

However, there is a real possibility he is now shot and barely able to play, even to the standards and requirements of the Championship. It's also very likely that he won’t leave Cobham for the Midlands so constantly travelling and therefore won’t mix much with the squad with the exception of their wives who he will invite back to Cobham when his Mrs takes the kids to her Mums. My biggest concern, however, is his huge gambling problem which has forced him to re-mortgage his house twice and his cars are bought on tick. He is skint and Villa just may provide him with the pension bonus he is looking for. It does appear though, that his addiction hasn't seemed to affect his performances on the pitch.

In conclusion, the guy is obviously looking for a big final payday and Villa are repeat offenders where this is concerned. However, just his name alone may be the lift this club needs, and if he can keep his personal problems personal, it may just work out for both parties. After all, none of us are paying his wages and promotion bonus.

Edited by Lomaski

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

One poster on here has met him, there may be others, and spoke very highly of him (see below). You should also read up on what Stan Petrov thinks of him. He says he was very supportive of him from when he first got ill and all the way through his illness. He says he is a very different person to the image.

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Long term VT'ers may recall my post from when I went to Winter Wonderland a few years back .... his daughter was in the same group as my daughter so saw him of guard for the best part of a day  ... he honestly was the nicest bloke you could met .... was chatting away about football with him whilst we queued up for Santa ( he'd been an unused sub at Sunderland the night before in a game Chelsea lost on pens ) .. 

we walked back to the car park together said good bye he shock my hand and then he got mobbed by dozens of children who finally twigged who he was ... he happily started posing for pictures and gave autographs 

the woman stuff of course is well documented  but my own experience of him is nothing but positive 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's one of the problems when you have a manager like Steve Bruce, he thinks signings like this are a great thing and they aren't. 

A manager like Steve Bruce? He isn’t the only manager who would like to sign John Terry. Eddie Howe and Paul Clement are also trying to sign him to play in the Premier League.

Also we have so far under Bruce not made one signing like this. Of the 7 players we signed in January all were under 30, all but two 26 or under. Two of them were actually under 20. If anything John Terry will be the exception.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

One poster on here has met him, there may be others, and spoke very highly of him (see below). You should also read up on what Stan Petrov thinks of him. He says he was very supportive of him from when he first got ill and all the way through his illness. He says he is a very different person to the image.

He might not be a word removed 24/7 but he's demonstrated enough to show he's a piece of shit as a person.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He might not be a word removed 24/7 but he's demonstrated enough to show he's a piece of shit as a person.

That is fair enough mate if that is what you think.

There is no doubt he has done some shitty things, a lot of us have, but I am not sure you can be a piece of shit and be capable of commanding the respect of, and inspiring, tens of other players over such a long period (13 seasons as captain) at such a successful club as Chelsea and also captain your country for four years.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lomaski said:

My biggest concern, however, is his huge gambling problem which has forced him to re-mortgage his house twice and his cars are bought on tick. He is skint and Villa just may provide him with the pension bonus he is looking for. It does appear though, that his addiction hasn't seemed to affect his performances on the pitch.

Allegedly... nothing concrete to back up why he was remortgaging his house. 

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

That is fair enough mate if that is what you think.

There is no doubt he has done some shitty things, a lot of us have, but I am not sure you can be a piece of shit and be capable of commanding the respect of, and inspiring, tens of other players over such a long period (13 seasons as captain) at such a successful club as Chelsea and also captain your country for four years.

Of course you can. Let's not pretend premier league players and England internationals are the high point of morals and ethics. 

You say some of us have done some shitty things and yes I bet we have. But it's not just some with Terry is it. We've got violence, racism, lewd public behaviour, having an affair as a married man and with the partner of a work colleague. 

I doubt many have notched those up. And if they have I'd say the same about them.

Â