John Terry

Farlz

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If Terry didn't play/coach for Villa then nobody in this thread would be defending anything he did.

Absolutely. 

I like Terry being associated with our club and hope he stays as a coach, but what he did was unacceptable and completely wrong.

You don't get to just walk away and have it forgotten for ever. He racially abused someone and thats not OK. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Everyone hated JT before he signed for us :lol:

Yep. Still not a fan, but I can accept people I don't like if they do a good job. Hate is a strong word mind. 

Whether he does a good job is the real question. Who the hell knows. Smith I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 18:25, KenjiOgiwara said:

Whether he does a good job is the real question. Who the hell knows. Smith I guess.

I've quoted this just because it's the most recent post, but I think it's fairly representative of how most of us were feeling throughout the second half of last season.

Assuming he's responsible for the defenders, as we assumed last year, I think it's fair to say he's doing a good job.  Targett, Konsa and Hause are unrecognisable from last season, Mings looks more comfortable at this level than he did previously and is an England squad regular, and Cash has hit the ground running.

Kudos.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've quoted this just because it's the most recent post, but I think it's fairly representative of how most of us were feeling throughout the second half of last season.

Assuming he's responsible for the defenders, as we assumed last year, I think it's fair to say he's doing a good job.  Targett, Konsa and Hause are unrecognisable from last season, Mings looks more comfortable at this level than he did previously and is an England squad regular, and Cash has hit the ground running.

Kudos.

Yep

As someone who spent a chunk of last season assuming that the defence was his baby and it was shit and giving him stick for it I now have to give him credit for it being a brilliant unit which has been tested with changes in the last month yet remains brilliant 

More than that this is what I always thought Terry was here for, team spirit and confidence and that winning mentality and at the moment we are brimming with it, doubt you can give him the official title of chief cheerleader but that's what I think he is and again when we're down I criticised him for it so when we're up I rightly have to applaud him for it

Would be interesting to hear what his learning curve and education is with Shakespeare 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I heard that he is in charge of the left hand side/Targett? Sure somebody said that. 

It was said in the last game that they split it left side and right side. As opposed to cb and full backs. Terry takes the left. Probably shows as we are less vulnerable on the left.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Lol Just the left?

I think what's been suggested from inside knowledge is that there's been defensive work going spesifically between left sided cb and lb and lw, and opposite. And vice versa. 

At least that's what I've read.

Whether it's true or not and whether it's due to Shakespeare or Terry, or both or neither  I dunno. I think the most likely scenario is that we've had more time to settle and better players going forward so we're less under pressure, but wth do I know.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think what's been suggested from inside knowledge is that there's been defensive work going spesifically between left sided cb and lb and lw, and opposite. And vice versa. 

At least that's what I've read.

Whether it's true or not and whether it's due to Shakespeare or Terry, or both or neither  I dunno. I think the most likely scenario is that we've had more time to settle and better players going forward so we're less under pressure, but wth do I know.

Well we certainly look very organised these days so something has clicked. We have momentum and we have a great team spirit within the squad which also counts for alot. Nothing is being left on the pitch. Great to see! 

I have no idea if John Terry is the coach primarily in charge of our defence.

But when we were shipping goals last season he bore the brunt of the criticism from our supporters.

So now we are looking so solid at the back, well done John. Keep doing what you're doing.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

With Rooney walking into a manager's job with barely any experience and about 5 years younger, I do wonder if JT really wants it. I think he is happy with his work/life balance being a number 2. Insert joke here.

You could argue JT is doing it the smart way. When he does go for a top job himself he can say he's learned the ropes from experienced and respected coaches in Smith and Shakespeare, and was part of a setup that won promotion it's first attempt.

I'd wager his overall managerial career will end up much better than Rooney's, Lampard's or Gerard's for that reason.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Greenfly said:

You could argue JT is doing it the smart way. When he does go for a top job himself he can say he's learned the ropes from experienced and respected coaches in Smith and Shakespeare, and was part of a setup that won promotion it's first attempt.

I'd wager his overall managerial career will end up much better than Rooney's, Lampard's or Gerard's for that reason.

I think Gerrard is doing well and smart by going to Scotland. Rangers will have CL next season and if he gets them to the group stages already he'd be more successful than Lampard.

Terry is taking his time and learning the ropes. He's got very good tactical nous and is a vital cog in our coaching set up atm. 

• Like 1

Â