John Terry

Farlz

2 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

AF is entitled to feel upset about it but why does he need to dredge it up in the media?  I think that's what's raising most peoples eyebrows. 

I assume he would have got paid for the documentary ? Maybe the rest is publicity for it? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

He was acquitted by the legal system. He probably doesn't give a toss about any other opinions.

If he runs around shouting I'm not a racist - he's going to be more tagged with that label than if he just keeps his gob shut. 

fa can talk lack of diversity

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

AF is entitled to feel upset about it but why does he need to dredge it up in the media?  I think that's what's raising most peoples eyebrows. 

Talking about the way he felt and still feels after being a victim of racism at work is raising people's eyebrows? I promise you, if this raises your eyebrows, you're part of the problem. I really cannot fathom how people think these things should just be brushed under the carpet, or how people act confused and ask "why now?". Does racism still exist in the game and out of it? Yes it does, heavily, so sadly these conversations are still very much of relevance. I personally feel JT could have sat down with Anton, spoke about this man to man for the world to see and show a real example of him understanding what he did wrong and how he and society on a whole can move forward in a better manner. The more these issues are ignored or expected to be forgotten after a few years, the more they will continue on. 

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Talking about the way he felt and still feels after being a victim of racism at work is raising people's eyebrows? I promise you, if this raises your eyebrows, you're part of the problem

No, please do not quote me and then completely ignore the most important part of my post.

I've never racially abused anyone in my life, nor would I ever.  Nor do I condone anyone else doing it.  If I'm part of the problem then the world really is f**ked.

15 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Talking about the way he felt and still feels after being a victim of racism at work is raising people's eyebrows? I promise you, if this raises your eyebrows, you're part of the problem. I really cannot fathom how people think these things should just be brushed under the carpet, or how people act confused and ask "why now?". Does racism still exist in the game and out of it? Yes it does, heavily, so sadly these conversations are still very much of relevance. I personally feel JT could have sat down with Anton, spoke about this man to man for the world to see and show a real example of him understanding what he did wrong and how he and society on a whole can move forward in a better manner. The more these issues are ignored or expected to be forgotten after a few years, the more they will continue on. 

I must be part of the problem then because I think he is making the most of what happened for reasons other than ‘creating awareness’. I could obviously be wrong about that though.

Dont blame him though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, troon_villan said:

No, please do not quote me and then completely ignore the most important part of my post.

I've never racially abused anyone in my life, nor would I ever.  Nor do I condone anyone else doing it.  If I'm part of the problem then the world really is f**ked.

You said people raising their eyebrows, the "you're" was not in reference to you personally, but to anybody with that mindset. Sorry mate.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I must be part of the problem then because I think he is making the most of what happened for reasons other than ‘creating awareness’. I could obviously be wrong about that though.

Dont blame him though. 

Is he trying to promote the documentary? Yes. Will the documentary raise awareness? Yes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Dont blame him though. 

What would be those reasons? I'd say you are part of the problem if you think he has some sinister motives without any evidence.

For anybody who hasn't seen it, please watch the documentary on iPlayer. As somebody closely affiliated with our club, I really hope John Terry doesn't stay silent on this. Seeing the aftermath of the incident and how it affected Ferdinand at the very least deserves Terry to speak out and try to provide a valuable lesson for others. 

Edited by samjp26

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think speaking out is very important regardless of the timescale, its not really different to the people speaking out later on the MeToo movement even though it happened long time ago

I'd be more worried if he never spoke about it. Even by his own admission, he regrets not speaking out about it more at the time. Now is as good a time as any though.

10 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

For anybody who hasn't seen it, please watch the documentary on iPlayer. As somebody closely affiliated with our club, I really hope John Terry doesn't stay silent on this. Seeing the aftermath of the incident and how it affected Ferdinand at the very least deserves Terry to speak out and try to provide a valuable lesson for others. 

I watched it and found it interesting. He had every right to make it and hopefully found it healing. It has also prompted further valuable discussion.

There are many people including yourself saying Terry should got involved and discussed it. I go back to a previous point I made about how surely this would be an impossible situation for him as he gave evidence in a court of law that events had occurred as he said, he also gave that account in interview to the FA. If he suddenly publicly started saying these were lies and  tearfully apologising to AF, couldn’t it leave him open to further charges?  Or he sticks to the original story in which case what would be the point of any meeting? 

Genuine question, what would you expect him to say that wouldn’t open up a whole further can of worms?  Surely it would be better to strive to improve himself going forward. I’m not supporting him in this, I just think it is not so simple as having a cathartic chat about it when it has been subject to legal proceedings. 

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I watched it and found it interesting. He had every right to make it and hopefully found it healing. It has also prompted further valuable discussion.

There are many people including yourself saying Terry should got involved and discussed it. I go back to a previous point I made about how surely this would be an impossible situation for him as he gave evidence in a court of law that events had occurred as he said, he also gave that account in interview to the FA. If he suddenly publicly started saying these were lies and  tearfully apologising to AF, couldn’t it leave him open to further charges?  Or he sticks to the original story in which case what would be the point of any meeting? 

Genuine question, what would you expect him to say that wouldn’t open up a whole further can of worms?  Surely it would be better to strive to improve himself going forward. I’m not supporting him in this, I just think it is not so simple as having a cathartic chat about it when it has been subject to legal proceedings. 

Whatever can of worms it would open he should understand his faults, pad up and do his time. If he genuinely believes the story he told in court he can still speak up while stating his story is true. It is worth remembering that Ferdinand says he never heard it said, as much as I doubt it JT's story could be completely true and it is one big misunderstanding. Being silent is not an option.

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well, silence is exactly what he is opting for right now. I think he is probably hoping that it will blow over again. He will probably now only speak up if it prevents him getting jobs and needs to win back public favour. Time will tell I guess.

It doesn't need to be a fracas though. He can just give an honest account of things and just the act of discussing it on camera with Anton would go a long way to smoothing over his image and the situation. Even from a purely strategic standpoint, that seems like the best option so being silent is kind of odd.

I’m going to watch the doc, but I’ve always believed that people who are racist genuinely don’t hide it and you get numerous cases of it over a long period of time where they use insults or other. Was this a one off with Terry, did Anton get under Terry’s skin to the point where he said the wrong thing?? There’s no excuse for racism in any form, Terry probably regrets what occurred in the heat of the moment, but we only know one side of an incident, has it been embellished over time etc. 

We need all the information before we can make a judgement.

50 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I’m going to watch the doc, but I’ve always believed that people who are racist genuinely don’t hide it and you get numerous cases of it over a long period of time where they use insults or other. Was this a one off with Terry, did Anton get under Terry’s skin to the point where he said the wrong thing?? There’s no excuse for racism in any form, Terry probably regrets what occurred in the heat of the moment, but we only know one side of an incident, has it been embellished over time etc. 

We need all the information before we can make a judgement.

I've always been a firm believer of if you're not racist, using race as an insult shouldn't even cross your mind. Plenty of ways to get under someone's skin without bringing race into it. Funnily enough, his father once got done and pleaded guilty for racially abusing an Irishman. Called him a p*key word removed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

What would be those reasons? I'd say you are part of the problem if you think he has some sinister motives without any evidence.

Nothing sinister about wanting to make money.   Also if raises awareness at same time then even better. But If you believe he is deeply scarred by a racist remark on a football pitch by another player in premier league game then you’re pretty naive in my opinion. 

F**k me every single Sunday league non white player must be a nervous wreck. 

Â