John Terry

Farlz

On 27/11/2020 at 07:22, Zatman said:

I think Mings wouldnt work with him if he felt strongly about it, he is a strong character and had no issue criticising the FA chief. 

I think Terry isnt a racist, he has played with a lot of black players and none to my knowledge have accused him of racism BUT I think he did say that comment to Ferdinand at the time

Big Ron managed Villa where there was a load of black players, none of them accused him of being racist and some even backed his character after the Desailly incident. But to even use those words, heat of the moment or otherwise, shows great naivety and a, (excuse the pun), dark side to them.

Edited by roonst83

On 27/11/2020 at 13:15, mikeyjavfc said:

It’s unlikely that Terry is an ideological racist but using racist language as a means to get a competitive advantage over a competitor (ie wind them up) is an extremely scummy thing to do, and gives a platform for genuine racism to grow. I think the same can be said of Suarez on Evra. The will to win and get an advantage really overrode their decency and judgement. See also: Suarez and biting people!

Very well put, my friend. 

Massive piece on this today on BBC Breakfast. 

He's made the point that he's reached out to Terry to speak about it with him to send a powerful message and not had a reply. 

Terry is going to get panned over this, it's not going to be something he can sweep under the carpet. 

I do wonder if he's avoided going into management knowing this was on the horizon.

It sounds poor from Terry if he's not been willing to go and discuss it with Ferdinand since. Not now necessarily, but 6/12 months after it happened.

The only thing I can think is Terry is believes it was blown out of proportion at the time.

Are Rio and Terry civil I wonder? Must have played together 30 or 40 times for England.

On 27/11/2020 at 13:15, mikeyjavfc said:

It’s unlikely that Terry is an ideological racist but using racist language as a means to get a competitive advantage over a competitor (ie wind them up) is an extremely scummy thing to do, and gives a platform for genuine racism to grow. I think the same can be said of Suarez on Evra. The will to win and get an advantage really overrode their decency and judgement. See also: Suarez and biting people!

I agree with what you said and racism on the pitch to wind opposition up shouldn't be allowed, players should think first. If found to be doing it should carry match bans and red off the pitch at the time of play.

Same goes for tactical fouls and players not being able to show there full skills and ability, it really is another thing to clamp down on and red should be shown straight away soon as one happens. It does really wind me up that we have had to start using such tactics just to say well if you cant beat them join them, shouldn't be a thing either.

Officials need to start getting serious, they are to weak early game to book anyone for anything serious,they are scared to be fair and honourable to dish cards out for nasty challenges.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It sounds poor from Terry if he's not been willing to go and discuss it with Ferdinand since. Not now necessarily, but 6/12 months after it happened.

The only thing I can think is Terry is believes it was blown out of proportion at the time.

Are Rio and Terry civil I wonder? Must have played together 30 or 40 times for England.

Not after the event. Didn't Rio refuse to play alongside him for England after it happened? And then after the case, Terry never got picked for England again. From memory at least, I didn't go researching before I posted.

Being strongly linked with that derby job. Dont understand what the attraction is for him as they are absolutely useless.

Unless these new owners are going to pay him a handsome fee. Its a risky job i would stay clear if i was him and wait for a better opportunity 

It's impossible to say what effect, if any, he has on the team. Given that our defending, and in particular individual errors, is a problem, I'm not sure how good a coach he is. Could be a good opportunity to move him on.

One of the most dangerous things at a club is a person who is well-liked but not particularly good at their job. They stick around for years and only hold you back. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, smg said:

Surely these are concentration issues that the players themselves have to deal with and take responsibility for as individuals and as a unit.

For the most part, yes. The zonal marking from corners is a problem, though - we're frequently putting our midfielders on CBs and unsurprisingly getting bested. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

For the most part, yes. The zonal marking from corners is a problem, though - we're frequently putting our midfielders on CBs and unsurprisingly getting bested. 

How many goals have we actually conceded from corners this season? We got it completely wrong in that one instance against West Ham to such a degree that it was a certain goal but I haven't noticed it as a particular trend this season. Also I'd argue that its a concentration issue that has led to it not working in this situation. You can't legislate for our blockers blocking off our own defenders rather than the opposing attackers.

I'm not sure how to get stats on the numbers of corners against and goals conceded but from a quick search it looks like we've conceded four goals from set pieces this season. I'd imagine that that includes the two free kicks that Ward-Prowse scored directly in which case two indirect set piece goals conceded doesn't represent a recurring issue for me. I'd be interested to know how our record of defending set pieces compares to other teams as I reckon we've scored considerably more from set pieces ourselves than we've conceded this season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Being strongly linked with that derby job. Dont understand what the attraction is for him as they are absolutely useless.

Unless these new owners are going to pay him a handsome fee. Its a risky job i would stay clear if i was him and wait for a better opportunity 

Underachieving squad. One of the biggest teams in the championship with a solid support base. About to get taken over with more dosh coming in. He could a lot worse with his first job.

Personally I don't know what the Cowley brothers have done not to be linked with every new championship job. Its baffling that Sheffield Wednesday went with Pulis who is yesterday's man.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

How many goals have we actually conceded from corners this season? We got it completely wrong in that one instance against West Ham to such a degree that it was a certain goal but I haven't noticed it as a particular trend this season. Also I'd argue that its a concentration issue that has led to it not working in this situation. You can't legislate for our blockers blocking off our own defenders rather than the opposing attackers.

I'm not sure how to get stats on the numbers of corners against and goals conceded but from a quick search it looks like we've conceded four goals from set pieces this season. I'd imagine that that includes the two free kicks that Ward-Prowse scored directly in which case two indirect set piece goals conceded doesn't represent a recurring issue for me. I'd be interested to know how our record of defending set pieces compares to other teams as I reckon we've scored considerably more from set pieces ourselves than we've conceded this season.

Think we conceded 1 from a free kick vs Southampton and then the goal vs West Ham. So hardly a set piece issue

With zonal marking the system looks terrible when you concede, M2M looks like it’s all on the player.

Its clear our shorter midfield are there to block the big opposition from getting a good run and leap giving Mings and Konsa extra space and height to clear or Martinez to claim. Targett must have the back post as he’s shorter and the ball comes down giving him a better chance. When the ball is played directly on top of the zonal defenders it’s harder for them to get height from a stationary position and if the run isn’t disrupted then you’re in trouble as we saw against West Ham. It’s not like that’s happening every game though, just a situation that looks really bad when it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Think we conceded 1 from a free kick vs Southampton and then the goal vs West Ham. So hardly a set piece issue

The disallowed goal vs Southampton was also a set piece wasn't it? I know it was ruled out through VAR (can't remember why) but in the case it was offside, the lines might be drawn differently the next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Underachieving squad. One of the biggest teams in the championship with a solid support base. About to get taken over with more dosh coming in. He could a lot worse with his first job.

Personally I don't know what the Cowley brothers have done not to be linked with every new championship job. Its baffling that Sheffield Wednesday went with Pulis who is yesterday's man.

They demand complete control and their methods and football is apparently very very old school.

I've heard good things about them but when you start going up the levels players with bigger egos, pay packets and ideas above their station I dont think will listen to them.

In view of the sensitivity surrounding this case....I think John Terry was right to avoid any contact or further comment.

I absolutely abhor racism and I am not going to defend John Terry on what he clearly said.....but Apparently Anton did say some disparaging remarks to JT before hand too, not saying 2 wrongs make a right, but provocation does play a part.

There are so many people making money out of this and thats wrong too IMV....but inevitable.

I think John Terry has nothing to gain and everything to lose by commenting further on what should be a shut case.

Â