John Terry

Farlz

Yep Terry was cleared by court but strangely not by the FA. He retired and Capello left because of this, unless it was an FA cost cutting decision it was weird. 

I suppose Terry can always say he was cleared in court

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What did he do exactly?

Not sure if you’re asking this genuinely but in 2012,  he was caught using a racial slur against Ferdinand. It went to court and his defence, I think, was that he was repeating something back that Ferdinand had accused him of saying. The court said it raised sufficient  doubt and he was cleared of criminal wrong doing. The FA gave him a fine, a short ban and he lost the England Captaincy.

He’s already released a statement in the last few days saying that he was cleared by a court but the scandal appears to have raised its head again with the tv doc about racism and football. 

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Im probably being biased and naive but I believe Terry’s version of events. 

I think you might be. His version doesn't ring completely true to me and looking at the footage of him saying it is very damning.

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/bc/rtmp_uds/1418450360/2011/12/21/1418450360_1339977153001_John-Terry-racist-abuse.mp4

Edit - I don't believe this is proof that he holds any racist views. This was a significant amount of time ago and hopefully he's evolved to not say things like this in order to be hurtful in the heat of the moment. It would definitely put me off working with him though, especially if I was not white.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not sure if you’re asking this genuinely but in 2012,  he was caught using a racial slur against Ferdinand. It went to court and his defence, I think, was that he was repeating something back that Ferdinand had accused him of saying. The court said it raised sufficient  doubt and he was cleared of criminal wrong doing. The FA gave him a fine, a short ban and he lost the England Captaincy.

He’s already released a statement in the last few days saying that he was cleared by a court but the scandal appears to have raised its head again with the tv doc about racism and football. 

Brexit was won, but it didn't stop there either.

when is any book closed, these days?

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Brexit was won, but it didn't stop there either.

when is any book closed, these days?

Well exactly. This is clearly going to follow him round like a bad smell. I don’t have a huge amount of sympathy for him but that’s why I’m  interested about how our players feel about it as their opinion is more important than mine, they work with him every day. 

47 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well exactly. This is clearly going to follow him round like a bad smell. I don’t have a huge amount of sympathy for him but that’s why I’m  interested about how our players feel about it as their opinion is more important than mine, they work with him every day. 

And so it should. Rather like Jack was clearly driving his car pissed and smashing into surrounding vehicles there was not enough to convict in a Court of Law, I'm pretty sure Terry said what he said. Hopefully for both of them it's a lesson which will make them better human beings in future. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think Mings wouldnt work with him if he felt strongly about it, he is a strong character and had no issue criticising the FA chief. 

I think Terry isnt a racist, he has played with a lot of black players and none to my knowledge have accused him of racism BUT I think he did say that comment to Ferdinand at the time

• Like 3

Listen we all know JT has a shut side to him like most footballers.  Like @Zatmansays mings would not work with him if he deemed him racist. Mings seems like a very strong chatchter that doesnt take shit. So thats good enough for me. 

The past is the past i am only interested in the job he is doing at villa

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

JT said Desailly was his hero when he was breaking though to the first team at Chelsea.

Surely not a racist

It’s unlikely that Terry is an ideological racist but using racist language as a means to get a competitive advantage over a competitor (ie wind them up) is an extremely scummy thing to do, and gives a platform for genuine racism to grow. I think the same can be said of Suarez on Evra. The will to win and get an advantage really overrode their decency and judgement. See also: Suarez and biting people!

Edited by mikeyjavfc
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, smg said:

Courts don’t always get things right.

I know you are probably saying that off the cuff but it's a very dangerous position to take. Courts work in legal principles and similar previous cases and come to a judgement based on that. Of course they get things wrong but that needs to be proven in court. If the courts were wrong in this case I'm sure the ruling would have been appealed. 

In court you get the law, not necessarily justice! 

22 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

It’s unlikely that Terry is an ideological racist but using racist language as a means to get a competitive advantage over a competitor (ie wind them up) is an extremely scummy thing to do, and gives a platform for genuine racism to grow. I think the same can be said of Suarez on Evra. The will to win and get an advantage really overrode their decency and judgement. See also: Suarez and biting people!

You are right and competitive edge is no excuse for a lack of decency. 

It does seem that racist behavior has become more acceptable in some parts of society due leaders being either openly or overtly racist (Trump, Johnson, etc.) At the end of the day education is the only real answer. I don't mean schooling by that, more education at home. No child is born a racist, it's a learned behavior. 

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Terry was a scumbag in his earlier years. It was pretty much common knowledge.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

It’s unlikely that Terry is an ideological racist but using racist language as a means to get a competitive advantage over a competitor (ie wind them up)

I don't think its just racist language being used to wind somebody up.  It is any piece of one upmanship you think you can gain by highlighting a persons perceived weakness or major feature and use it to your benefit.

We've all been in a situation where we have got worked up and the easiest thing in the world to do is to use what you perceive as as persons weakness and use it against them, this has been going on since we were all young kids in the playground.  Terry chose to highlight Ferdinands colour but how many times have we heard someone call a bald-headed this, a ginger that or a big nosed whatever just because this is their main feature in the hope they lose control and you then gain the upper hand.

I'm sure in the cold light of day no-one would use that type of provocation only "in the heat of the battle" 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, withes_shin said:

I don't think its just racist language being used to wind somebody up.  It is any piece of one upmanship you think you can gain by highlighting a persons perceived weakness or major feature and use it to your benefit.

We've all been in a situation where we have got worked up and the easiest thing in the world to do is to use what you perceive as as persons weakness and use it against them, this has been going on since we were all young kids in the playground.  Terry chose to highlight Ferdinands colour but how many times have we heard someone call a bald-headed this, a ginger that or a big nosed whatever just because this is their main feature in the hope they lose control and you then gain the upper hand.

I'm sure in the cold light of day no-one would use that type of provocation only "in the heat of the battle" 

Just anout my take on it......thought this was a closed book, sad it has to rear its ugly head once again.

Â