John Terry

Farlz

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I keep wondering lately to what extent we owe our revival to this guy.

Beyond the promotion, the survival, the good start to this season, Grealish’s new contract and a handful of positive signings - it’s the general feel good factor in the squad and club that’s putting a smile on my face.

When we went down there was just no harmony or culture whatsoever in the club, if any did exist it was definitely toxic. In the past I’ve attributed Bruce with stopping the rot and I think he has to be credited a little but particularly for bringing in JT.

I think his influence on the team and club has been immeasurable, he’s brought a winning and professional mentality into the fold, something we sorely lacked.

I’ve felt that over his time here we’ve developed a far better culture and bond within the squad, exiting loan players like Snodgrass and Abraham fell in love with the club whilst here and have gone on to say good things about us. Above all I think he’s helped to instil pride into putting on the shirt.

Not saying the guy’s single handedly responsible for bringing about all that change but I do think he’s been a major influence and if we do get back to being a good, top half club again then we may owe him a fair deal of gratitude for his time here.

I agree. It’s also that ‘winner’ factor we lacked and in my opinion lacked since initial Sherwood (for all his faults he came in and instilled a feeling of “we can win this” until it all went to shit (although I maintain he was a better manager and influence in a tough era than we give him credit for))

• Like 1

Fetch Barkley to Villa on a Permenent JT, pease. 

I think our defence you can finally feel that JT and his work is noticeable with the players. 

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 01/10/2020 at 03:14, Spoony said:

I agree. It’s also that ‘winner’ factor we lacked and in my opinion lacked since initial Sherwood (for all his faults he came in and instilled a feeling of “we can win this” until it all went to shit (although I maintain he was a better manager and influence in a tough era than we give him credit for))

I often have conflicting thoughts about Timmy Tactics...

He got a team of players he could do nothing with, who were biblically low on confidence and (on-the-whole) werent that good... to pull their socks up, survive in the league and get us to an FA cup final...

The wheels fell off against Southampton, then Burnley... then the cart just blew up against Arsenal...

Sliding doors moment?

Had Sherwood had access to the finances, and the staff, that HE wanted?... I actually think he would have done ok...

• Like 2

What I like about John Terry is he combines his determination and hard work with a love for the game and a desire to keep improving.  It's also telling how many of new signings mention his name as someone they are looking forward to working with as well.
He has given great service to this club since July 2017 when he arrived and has helped build and craft who we are today. 

Wins like the one against Liverpool clearly have come from a high professional coaching team that's takes its business seriously. He is a key part of that I love him and hope he stays as part of the coaching team right here to get us more success. 

• Like 1

A thing Bruce did right was bringing in John Terry and then rooming Grealish with him.  We are seeing the results now. 

Apart from lockdown brain fart we are seeing a fine Captain in Super Jack who represents the club so well and inspires those around him.

Last season could have broken Jack as he carried the club on his shoulders most of the season, dragging his team mates along but it didnt kill him and made him stronger (as Arnie would tell you).

Now with other players like Barkley I think Jack will take another step towards greatness.

But it was all harnessed and started with him sharing a room with John Terry.

I do think JT may be smith successor and is being groomed for it.

But smith will be here for a very long time if things continue as they are and rightly so.

As long as smith doesnt hit a really bad run i can only see him leaving for the england job

• Like 1

Im sure he has ambitions of being a no1 one day but he’s taken the correct path to actually learn outside of the limelight to start off with, Lampard has all ready reached his ceiling and the only way for him is down 

he was headsetted up sunday night, not spotted that before, not sure if its a corona thing meaning someone's gone in to the stands or if its something he's requested himself

and said before, based on his social media profile I think he's enjoying his life, being a manager would eat in to a good chunk of that, looks like villa let him live down south, play golf, pop in to Chelsea, pop off to Portugal and do a lot of family stuff, I dread to think how many hours deano has to put in to his role by comparison, im not sure terry wants it all

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he was headsetted up sunday night, not spotted that before, not sure if its a corona thing meaning someone's gone in to the stands or if its something he's requested himself

and said before, based on his social media profile I think he's enjoying his life, being a manager would eat in to a good chunk of that, looks like villa let him live down south, play golf, pop in to Chelsea, pop off to Portugal and do a lot of family stuff, I dread to think how many hours deano has to put in to his role by comparison, im not sure terry wants it all

He's always got a headset on.

Ive been thinking along the same lines about his lifestyle. 

If he doesn't go next Summer it may be he's settling for the work life balance the support role brings. 

I would imagine that work life balance will be important to him at the moment - Don't forget from a very young age it has been football football football and a very intense training regime with very little time off - he is still young, so plenty of time for him to take up a managers role in a few years time. If I was him, I too would want to spend time with my family and enjoy my massive bank balance 🙂

It's odd because I always despised Terry as a player, I remember him jumping up and down on the line like a spoilt child when I think Collins or Dunne scored from a corner at Villa Park, in a game we eventually won.

Saying that he was great for us in the Championship and has carried that over to coaching in the Prem which has changed my view on him, he is also unquestionably a top pro and a born winner which we have needed at the club for a long time, that sort of mentality goes a long way.

Â