John Terry

Farlz

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Meh. I mean the word 'good' is subjective. He got us to a playoff final, which is good, the capitulation in said final was not and that was a culmination of 18 months of leadership from a manager with all the tactical nous of a walnut. The less said about this season the better, but on reflection you can say he did an OK job and I'd find it a passable opinion, depending what you think our aims were. He did the job I expected him to do in essence, he took us 'there or thereabouts'. He 'blew the cobwebs away' and taught the club how to win again, which is something.

With Smith, we are aiming for more and I would say he is currently delivering, he is doing a 'good' job. Which also happens to be the job I expected him to do. 

Fair Comment....but my reaction on the subject Dave , was not to comments like yours, which I say is fair.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 12/04/2019 at 21:14, TRO said:

To a person who has achieved so much at Chelsea and ingrained himself so much in that Football Club in c17 years of involvement and not doubting his continued love of that team.....I think it is an absolute credit and the measure of the MAN how much he has taken to us and committed himself to the progress of our football club.

I always had a suspicion he was like this ( I have a jaundiced approach to fake news) and am  now convinced he is like I thought he was ......A Top Pro.

Loved John Terry as a Footballer, Love John Terry as a Football Pro.

Commitment is a wonderful Thing.

Commited to the club he works for I believe. I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about his commitment issues in his personal life though...

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Commited to the club he works for I believe. I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere about his commitment issues in his personal life though...

What he has done in his personal life is his business.....It's what he does for Aston Villa Football club, that matters.

Young footballers are red blooded males and will act accordingly..... we don't know the truth behind all these issues..... blimey there has been, stories come out of every football club, just like the movies its rife.....too many to mention.

I have been married for 41 years and met my wife when I was on the lash with Andy Gray & Co back in the 70's......If someone nicked her off me, I would see it as my fault and move on.....I guess Wayne Bridge has done the same.

On 12/04/2019 at 20:57, TRO said:

So easy, to attract an Audience.

I am serious here....every Villa fan I have spoken to face to face has said to me........I think he did a good job for us....but happy with Dean Smith.

That is not to be construed in to an agenda that he is better than Dean Smith, which some will try to do......2 separate issues.

Not often managers doing a good job get the sack. Would suggest he probably wasn't doing a good job. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Not often managers doing a good job get the sack. Would suggest he probably wasn't doing a good job. 

There is no probably about it. He wasn't. Hence he was sacked. And Rightly so.

Hilarious that people still defend him. Hurts to be wrong when you spent 2 seasons defending him I suppose. Be nice if people could move on together as a club instead of getting hysterical whenever Bruce is criticised. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I said "did" referring to stopping the rot......" did a good job" when he stopped us conceding every match, that a few others couldn't do.

but to answer you.....Tony Barton?was he so bad to be sacked?......I thought Darren Moore was a bit harsh too.....But I am happy with Dean, so its all immaterial.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I said "did" referring to stopping the rot......" did a good job" when he stopped us conceding every match, that a few others couldn't do.

but to answer you.....Tony Barton?was he so bad to be sacked?......I thought Darren Moore was a bit harsh too.....But I am happy with Dean, so its all immaterial.

He stopped us conceding every game yet left us with a shambolic defence.

So he left us in the same situation where he started 

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

He stopped us conceding every game yet left us with a shambolic defence.

So he left us in the same situation where he started 

For different circumstances.

He lost JT and Sam Johnstone and due to the state of the club financially....no time to replace them as the new owners only just saved the club, so rebuilding lost its priority temporarily....but yes, in essence we went in to the season with an imbalance in defence.

Edited by TRO

On 12/04/2019 at 20:57, TRO said:

So easy, to attract an Audience.

I am serious here....every Villa fan I have spoken to face to face has said to me........I think he did a good job for us....but happy with Dean Smith.

That is not to be construed in to an agenda that he is better than Dean Smith, which some will try to do......2 separate issues.

Really TRO ? I thought he did a dreadful job, given what was available to him throughout his tenure.

Can you just imagine where we would be if he was still here ?

• Like 2

On 20/04/2019 at 18:31, TheStagMan said:

Be nice if people could move on together as a club instead of getting hysterical whenever Bruce is defended.

Changed this for you and it's as true as your version ;)

I came on to this thread to see what shenanigans John Terry has been up to...

...but it’s a Steve Bruce debate. Again. 

He’s gone and we’re on our longest winning streak in 109 years. Let’s all be friends and enjoy the present. 

As for JT, I hear he’s been messaging your sister. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 20/04/2019 at 18:31, TheStagMan said:

Be nice if people could move on together as a club instead of getting hysterical whenever Bruce is criticised. 

EDIT: I've deleted this as too aggressive, but honestly your comment here is rubbish and you should take your own advice. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

13 hours ago, Thug said:

Judging Bruce’s tenure is a tricky subject.

Was his performance here awful? Probably not.

got us to a play off final where we were beaten narrowly based on score, but comprehensively based on performance.

i still believe given the players he had at his disposal we should have stroller to promotion, probably finishing second to wolves who really were a class above.

Smith has clearly shown how to make the best use of the players available, and those that were written off under Bruce, look the decent players the probably always were, and those that were decent look like the quality players they probably always were.

Players are looking fitter, sharper, and more confident - and I can’t help but wonder why that should be the case unless they were being mismanaged?

I get a strong feeling that he is too quick to write off players and as a result cause problems in the dressing room.

Clearly he’s not an awful manager, as Wednesday’s recent up turn in form suggests, but there’s a reason why he doesn’t last very long at any club,  and I will not be surprised when the wheels come off there too, and he’s appointed at another club that are looking to get into the play offs.

His philosophy reeks of short-termism, and that isn’t a healthy way to go about things.

I think he puts his own stubborn-ness above what’s good for the club, and hence the mess that was left in defence.

Was he the worst manager we’ve had in recent times? Not by a long shot.

Did we make any progress under his guidance? Not at all

Do I wish him well for the future? Yeah, I actually do.

I think that is a fair comment...However, we do not know the details of the remit, which could have had a bearing, that's me being kind.....I don't think SB would have been able to win 10 wins on the spin, I really don't.

I just think Dean Smith is doing more in developing the team and improving on each players weaknesses....He just seems more in tune with moving the ball around than SB.

like you allude to......Dean being a good manager, does not make SB a bad one.....just not as good IMO.

Dean still has to show his prowess in the transfer market,( so far so good) subject to funds available and FFP not restricting him.

I just hope this can carry on for him, I really do, because he has the hallmark of developing a really good side with us, in time.

• Like 3

Â