John Terry

Farlz

Just reading that interview with Scott Hogan he says JT is quiet and unassuming - almost shy - so I think the demeanour we see on the pitch is likely to be a little different to what happens on the training ground. I'm sure he can deliver a spray when necessary but I suspect he'll be very different to Roy Keane

• Like 1

Despite all the headlines Terry is getting, he is a new coach at the start of his career. I've no doubt he will know his place in the coaching team but he'll be there to learn and I'm fairly certain DS and his assistant will not be shutting him out, quite the opposite. They too will benefit from Terry's presence, experience and respect he commands with the players. If it doesn't last it'll be because JT fancies managing his own team - but that will be on the back of success for us - it's the proverbial win-win! 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Despite all the headlines Terry is getting, he is a new coach at the start of his career. I've no doubt he will know his place in the coaching team but he'll be there to learn and I'm fairly certain DS and his assistant will not be shutting him out, quite the opposite. They too will benefit from Terry's presence, experience and respect he commands with the players. If it doesn't last it'll be because JT fancies managing his own team - but that will be on the back of success for us - it's the proverbial win-win! 

Agreed. What's to stop them from bouncing ideas off each other in order to ascertain the optimal approach.

I think something that could be an asset for Terry is the number of managerial heavyweights he has played under.

Each will have taught him something valuable about how to approach the game and I'm sure will be a resource for DS if he ever needs to look to his assistant for inspiration.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Great news JT's back! I hope he will play too, we need him to.

Well he announced his retirement from playing a day or two ago and we made the announcement he’s on our coaching staff so I wouldn’t hold your breath, unfortunately.

Edited by Ginko

I think he has the attributes to be an excellent coach, assistant manager and then manager. 

Something I've learned from a character similar to JT is that the respect he commands is hard earned, it isn't freely given. It doesn't come simply from being a really good player, there are loads of really good players out there. 

What makes JT a bit different is that he seems to get the human side of leadership. Something I also thought Bruce would have done well. I think he'll be able to understand what makes different people tick and find ways to get the most out of them. I also think he won't be worried about telling players that they are not meeting expected standards. 

It will be a bit different for him being part of the management, but I sense he will take to it well. He's got plenty of capital with the fans which will help too. 

I'm pleased that we're willing to give him the opportunity. 

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hypothetical question, but do we think that JT joining Bruce’s coaching team was an option at any point? 

You’d think Bruce would have been for it.

Good point. It wouldnt surprise me if JT was coming back anyway in some capacity with or without Bruce.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good point. It wouldnt surprise me if JT was coming back anyway in some capacity with or without Bruce.

It’s just something I wondered. 

Bruce would surely have liked Terry’s presence amongst the squad, even if it wasn’t in a playing capacity. Just curious why it’s taking place after Bruce was let go.

Perhaps Bruce dug his heels in and said he wanted him back as a player only and the board weren’t prepared to pay his wages as a player? Complete guesswork on my part.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Great news JT's back! I hope he will play too, we need him to.

Get him in at right back. Then we could play 5-3-2 with the back five all made up of right backs. The cabbage would be proud. 

I'll be happy if JT comes in and becomes the defensive coach. He's one of the best in the game at organising a defense, and has bags of experience when it comes to all the tricks of the trade. On top of this he's a big name which younger players will want to play for and other teams will want to loan their prospects to. A win-win in my book as long as he can keep his outside life calm.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peterms said:

It would have been unbalanced.

We would have had more centre backs on the coaching staff than in the squad.

Hate to break this to you... but Dean Smith was a centre back.

Â