John Terry

Farlz

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

We are desperate for Terry which is sad. He is 37/38 and can try organise our defence and we pay other defenders a good salary to think they can organise

It's very sad indeed.

It says it all that we are desperate for a 37 year old defender to come and organise our defence and rescue Bruce's arse in the dressing room, yet the manager cannot seem to do this - yet he was an ex centre back in his playing days.

HE NEEDS SACKED IF THIS REALLY IS THE CASE!

I simply don't get why we don't sign him for the season.

It would be a 38 week contract. At £70K the total cost would be £2.66m. At £60K £2.28m. At £50K it would be £1.9m and so on. 

If it's FFP, then we're obviously down to relatively small amounts of money which would decide if we're in breach of the rules or not.

If it's down to the owners not wanting to spend money on ageing players, that would seem justified. IF it was a longer contract. But we're only talking to the end of the season, if we are promoted, then who knows. But at least then we can afford it.  That wage bill is no bigger than the amortisation costs of buying a £6m player on a 3 year contract. And we would probably need to pay that players some money on top of that again. 

Why we would spend loads of money to keep Grealish and to get the others that we got, when we actually at the same time make a concious decision of not getting propotion because we literarly don't have defenders is beyond me.

I'm all for not buying old players on long contracts. But I can't honestly see age being a deciding factor in getting a player who is out of contract on a short term deal for a postion we desperatly need strenghtening. Especially considering the window is closed and we don't have that many other options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent_Bob said:

I simply don't get why we don't sign him for the season.

It would be a 38 week contract. At £70K the total cost would be £2.66m. At £60K £2.28m. At £50K it would be £1.9m and so on. 

If it's FFP, then we're obviously down to relatively small amounts of money which would decide if we're in breach of the rules or not.

If it's down to the owners not wanting to spend money on ageing players, that would seem justified.

That wage bill is no bigger than the amortisation costs of buying a £6m player on a 3 year contract. And we would probably need to pay that players some money on top of that again. 

We're going to be using the Terry money to pay Bruce off instead.  :thumb:

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We're going to be using the Terry money to pay Bruce off instead.

Could be, but I would rather go up with Bruce and Terry than staying in this division. Bruce is here to get us up, he won't be managing us next season anyway. I honestly don't care if the football is awful, as long as we are winning games and getting promotion. That's what this season is all about. Not pretty football, no great cup runs or anything.  If it will happen with Terry remains to be seen, but I'm quite sure it won't happen without him. Which makes all this squad stregthening, and FFP talk bit pointless.

Just. Get. Promoted.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep. Will he will be a great assistant and just what we need.

(Also handy we will potentially have 3 natural CB's).

Was your including terry there, as if you were he won’t be playing just coming as no 2

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Does he even have coaching badge? 

He was definitely working on them last year, I remember a couple of instagram posts from him showing his homework or something.

But maybe he doesn't have them all, might explain why he's taking an assistant job for now and not a full on manager's job.

• Like 2

We are desparatley short of a CB - A gap which Terry plugged pretty well last season. Surley if he were coming here, even in a coaching capacity the option of him playing in the short term would surely be a decent one.

So his announcement that he is longer playing - yet linked strongly to villa - seems slightly odd to me.

What would make more sense is him being in the frame for the job in his own right.

Edited by hippo

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

We are desparatley short of a CB - A gap which Terry plugged pretty well last season. Surley if he were coming here, even in a coaching capacity the option of him playing in the short term would surely be a decent one.

So his announcement that he is longer playing - yet linked strongly to villa - seems slightly odd to me.

What would make more sense is him being in the frame for the job in his own right.

He cannot become manager because he does not have the qualifications.

52 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe he's just decided he doesn't want to play anymore?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe he's just decided he doesn't want to play anymore?

Or that given our situation he knows everyone will be clamouring for him to start against Swansea when in reality he knows it’ll take him 2 months to get up to speed and even then it’s a massive ask to come back and perform straight away when at this stage of a very long and arduous career. 

By that time we’ll be into Jan and able to buy someone new anyway. Better to make a clear statement so everyone knows where things stand. 

• Like 3

I believe it would take a month for Terry to have the correct badges to be able to manage a professional team, that therefore rules him out of the managers position.

Rumours are that he is coming in as Henry's assistant, I don't know how I feel about that. It would then leave us with both a manager and an assistant manager who have never managed a football team before. Henry with an experienced assistant would probably be preferable. Saying that Calderwood was experienced and he didn't seem to do a lot.

As a defensive coach he would be spot on.

The way I would be most comfortable with an Henry/Terry combination is if the Director of Football role is taken by an ex-manager. Wenger would obviously be perfect but even an ex-manager without the big status would do the job.

21 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He cannot become manager because he does not have the qualifications.

Really - does that 100% block him being appointed ? - & if it does - can he still be assistant manager ? - or first team coach 

I would have thought we could give him another title, whilst he does coaching badges - I believe he started them last summer. 

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really - does that 100% block him being appointed ? - & if it does - can he still be assistant manager ? - or first team coach 

I would have thought we could give him another title, whilst he does coaching badges - I believe he started them last summer. 

There was certainly a way around it at one point, I don't think Southgate had the required badges when he took over at Boro but was working towards it. Whether that is still the case now though I don't know.

As for JT, I would have him front row behind the north stand and then the Holte with a microphone personally.

• Like 2

Â