John Terry

Farlz

Terry could probably get paid more to be a coach at Chelsea than come back to us. And unless he wants to play abroad that will surely be the case for any other championship club that would be interested in him. Bascially it is up to him how much he really wants to play for another year for less money or take the more comfortable option of going back to Chelsea.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45519387

John Terry: Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri open to coaching role for ex-captain

Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri says he is open to the idea of former captain John Terry joining the coaching staff at Stamford Bridge.

Terry, 37, left the club after 22 years in June last year, before joining Championship side Aston Villa on a season-long loan.

The former England centre-back rejected a move to Spartak Moscow this week, citing family reasons.

"If he wants to help us, I'm very, very happy," Sarri said.

Terry made more than 700 appearances for Chelsea, winning five Premier League titles, five FA Cups and the 2012 Champions League.

He played 36 times last season for Villa, who were beaten in the Championship play-off final by Fulham.

"The last time I spoke with him he told me that he wants to play for another season," added Sarri, who took charge of the Blues in the summer.

"Chelsea is his home, of course.

"For sure, he will be a point of reference for me, for everybody here [if he returns].

"It's up to him. If he wants to play for another season, I think it's right he tries to play."

4 minutes ago, jim said:

So Bruce has been phoning him daily, I can only presume our offer isn’t up to much if it’s true.

I wonder whether Terry answers, or just looks at his phone, sighs, and lets it run to voicemail.

• Haha 1

He needs him.....we also need him. Defensive frailty leads to mental frailty throughout the team. Defenders worry about conceding goals every opportunity and attackers put extra pressure on themselves that one goal probably won’t be enough because of having the mentality that we are likely to concede during a game.

Having Terry there will disminish some of that fear and allow players to relax and play. It’s a mental game because even if Terry was poor playing wise his reputation, experience and captains ability breeds confidence.

Â