John Terry

Farlz

20 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Russian fan on reddit who seemed very angry at Terry because he was "money hungry"

Oh, well it must be true then if a football fan said so on a message board ?

It seems fairly clear that the owners are that fussed in going for Terry. Wherever it will go down to a back me or sack me for Bruce, we will have to see. It will be a unsustainable amount of money for a player close to retirement- however we badly need  a central defender and overall he did a good job for us last season.  If if is happy to come back for half the money then I would move for him. Otherwise probably not.

29 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think the links to him, Huth and Collins are all made up by the press because we got our arses handed to us by Sheff Utd an we failed to sign a centre back in the transfer window.

I genuinely don't think Bruce is trying to sign anyone.

I think you might be right, which beggars belief and makes the Elphick decision doubly maddening. Bruce doesnt seem keen on sing any of our young central defenders either. SUliman is out on loan for starters. I'd prefer him to fresh air, I'd actually prefer him to Elphick, but they both should be here and available instead of elsewhere and playing Jedinak with zero cover for injuries.

Terry in the light of the above is an expensive, very expensive stop gap that offers no long term solution to our problem and wouldn't immediately turn us into automatic promotion hopefuls. We've not won in 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I genuinely don't think Bruce is trying to sign anyone.

Of course he isn't. He would have signed someone by now if anything was going to happen. The fact we have had an international break and not even got close to a signature means we are going to January at least with this defence.

As I said pages ago, this thread, along with the promotion thread, needs moving to other football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Where did I claim that to be true? 

Apologies, as Rigo said it wasn’t aimed at you. 

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Russian fan on reddit who seemed very angry at Terry because he was "money hungry"

That Russian fan was wrong then.

John Terry would have known that the Russians would nova chuk money at him so that wasn't the reason he didn't join them. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, peterms said:

Right.  That's my part done.

Have you personally been in touch with '@dave_hitchman' to sort that? :)

Good effort but not a Villa shirt, though. ;)

Edit: Get any closer and I may have to play the Paddy Ashdown card.

Edited by snowychap

Bruce said he wants him. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-15150545

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce breaks his silence on John Terry transfer situation

The AVFC boss has spoken about the former Chelsea defender

Steve Bruce has confirmed Aston Villa's interest in John Terry.

Terry, the experienced centre-back, is a free agent after leaving Villa at the end of the last season and talk of a potential return to the club has intensified this week after he rejected a move to Spartak Moscow.

Terry had flown out for a medical with the Russian side but turned down their offer of a contract citing family reasons.

The ex-Chelsea defender has recently spoken of 'unfinished business’ at Villa and is claimed to be interested in completing it.

And Bruce has confirmed he is attempting to lure the club's former captain back.

"I'm interested in John Terry, who wouldn't be?" Bruce told BBC WM at his press conference ahead of Saturday's trip to Blackburn Rovers.

"But it's down to what he wants to do next, we have to respect that."

Terry played 36 times last season as Villa agonisingly missed out on promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.

• Like 1

I would love us to be in a position where we can utilise our first team squad containing Grealish, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Kodjia and Abraham to dominate most teams so that we weren't relying on signing 36-year-old John Terry to stand any chance of having a successful season.

Would be a good signing for the big games, but we should have enough throughout the squad to not make it such a crucial requirement.

Â