John Terry

Farlz

I see a lot of people laying blame at John Terry for the state of the defence. People asking what he does during training and doesn't he coach the defenders and that sort of thing.

Seems to be a misconception that John Terry is our defensive coach. He isn't. He's assistant manager. His remit will be far more than coaching the defence.

That's not to say he won't have a hand in it. I'm positive he will be involved in the defence, that would be natural. But just seems to be a widespread opinion that that's his only job.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I see a lot of people laying blame at John Terry for the state of the defence. People asking what he does during training and doesn't he coach the defenders and that sort of thing.

Seems to be a misconception that John Terry is our defensive coach. He isn't. He's assistant manager. His remit will be far more than coaching the defence.

That's not to say he won't have a hand in it. I'm positive he will be involved in the defence, that would be natural. But just seems to be a widespread opinion that that's his only job.

He's one of two Assistant Head Coaches to Dean Smith.  

• Like 1

Just now, Risso said:

He's one of two Assistant Head Coaches to Dean Smith.  

yeah fair point.

I'm assuming that's a similar role to assistant manager though, it's just that as Smith is down as Head Coach, it makes sense.

Point is I don't think his sole job is to coach the defence, which a lot of people seem to be assuming it is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

yeah fair point.

I'm assuming that's a similar role to assistant manager though, it's just that as Smith is down as Head Coach, it makes sense.

Point is I don't think his sole job is to coach the defence, which a lot of people seem to be assuming it is.

You're right.  I don't think there were any specific mentions about the defence from either Terry himself or Smith.  He's here to learn the ropes as a coach, and said so.  But I also don't think it's unreasonable that a defender with a record such as his would be expected to impart his experience in a key area.  Whatever, the three of them aren't getting it right, whatever hand they've been dealt.  Alan Hutton as a central defender?  Puuuuurleeeeease.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

You're right.  I don't think there were any specific mentions about the defence from either Terry himself or Smith.  He's here to learn the ropes as a coach, and said so.  But I also don't think it's unreasonable that a defender with a record such as his would be expected to impart his experience in a key area.  Whatever, the three of them aren't getting it right, whatever hand they've been dealt.  Alan Hutton as a central defender?  Puuuuurleeeeease.

Absolutely. It wasn't an absolution of blame from Terry. Having one of the Premier League's best ever defenders on the coaching TEAM should reap some benefits, and it doesn't seem to be at the moment.

But I'm willing to put it more down to personnel at the moment than anything else. The second half of the season will tell us more I think.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I can see him managing us in the future if things doesn't work out for DS.

I can't. I think he isn't ready yet. He even acknowledges he didn't realise how much goes into management before he started here. 

He will need a good few years yet I think. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I can't. I think he isn't ready yet. He even acknowledges he didn't realise how much goes into management before he started here. 

He will need a good few years yet I think. 

especially if he stays with us.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

Why?

Lampard and Gerrard jumped straight in

They had been working in coaching roles, i believe which made the transition more comfortable for them.

John clearly hadn't had the same experience behind the scenes and intimated so.

but who knows, they might just be more suited to it.

Frank and Stevie G.....just look a bit more articulate to me.

On 07/01/2019 at 15:47, rodders0223 said:

You can only work with what you have got. It's like asking Michelangelo to work on the sistine chapel with a pack of crayons and then being pissed when it ends up looking like a bag of shit.

It was a myth anyway......it was done by "paint by numbers"

Â