John Terry

Farlz

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So instead of a player who has proved he can perform at this level (albeit a year older) you'd rather go with a guy who has looked completely shit, but MIGHT not be "that bad"?

Each to their own.

Unfortunately it's not a choice we get to make.

Terry will be 37, that is too old. He got caught out a few times being off the pace last season and hell only be getting slower. From what I recall we only ever played axel at right back where he didn't look great but he is a centre back, he is highly rated by man utd so over the course of a season I'd be confident he would be more than good enough. 

Axel doesn't need to be paid 60k a week either. 

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So instead of a player who has proved he can perform at this level (albeit a year older) you'd rather go with a guy who has looked completely shit, but MIGHT not be "that bad"?

Each to their own.

Unfortunately it's not a choice we get to make.

Terry will be 37, that is too old. He got caught out a few times being off the pace last season and hell only be getting slower. From what I recall we only ever played axel at right back where he didn't look great but he is a centre back, he is highly rated by man utd so over the course of a season I'd be confident he would be more than good enough. 

Axel doesn't need to be paid 60k a week either. 

• Like 1

Well this is just some triffic piece of business if true :crylaugh:

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP

Cash-strapped Aston Villa could owe John Terry £560,000 in wages

• Terry was paid £70,000-a-week by Villa but failed to captain them back to the Premier League
Terry was paid £70,000-a-week by Villa but failed to captain them back to the Premier LeagueCLIVE MASON/GETTY IMAGES

Aston Villa will owe John Terry a further £560,000 in wages if he remains a free agent or retires this summer despite the fact that he left Villa Park in May. The former England captain’s Villa contract expires at the end of this month, but along with all other out-of-contract players, he is entitled to an additional month’s wages for July. Given he was paid £70,000 a week during his season in the Sky Bet Championship, this will cost Villa another £280,000 after his contract has expired.

Under the terms of a little-known agreement introduced by the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee, a body which represents the Premier League, FA, EFL and PFA, all players released each June are entitled to a month’s wages…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/cash-strapped-aston-villa-could-owe-john-terry-560-000-in-wages-knnlzjl0h

Don't have access to the full article.

That seems very odd, players have a contract until the end of June but they also have to be paid for July even though they are not under contract or providing any services to the club.

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

probably back pay or something. I can see why this is useful down the bottom of the chain for struggling players in League 1 and 2

Was gonna say similar. It's probably aimed at those players who need a parachute payment, of sorts, if they can't find another club. But the rule has to apply to everyone in the football league.

A bit like how the fine for a yellow card is like £15 or something. And gets charged to everyone. Whether you're league 2 or Premier league

Full article states that if a player hasn't signed for another club he is owed a months wages, If he signs for another club on reduced terms we would need to make up the shortfall until August. This is the same for every out of contract player and will apply to Gabby etc too. Looks like the rule was primarily designed to help out players further down the pyramid but rediculously also applies to multi millionaires

On 21/06/2018 at 23:15, LakotaDakota said:

Full article states that if a player hasn't signed for another club he is owed a months wages, If he signs for another club on reduced terms we would need to make up the shortfall until August. This is the same for every out of contract player and will apply to Gabby etc too. Looks like the rule was primarily designed to help out players further down the pyramid but rediculously also applies to multi millionaires

To be honest we wouldn't be complaining about this if the club wasnt in such financial turmoil 

It gives players down the pyramid an extra month's pay to pay the bills whilst trying to earn a new contract in preseason or on trial somewhere.

I can guarantee that JT will not be ringing up the club asking where his pay for July is.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I can guarantee that JT will not be ringing up the club asking where his pay for July is.

No one will, the article is wrong. Players "work" (are released) at the end of May, but are paid to the end of June. So it will all be fine.....unless the Club has any finacial prob.....

oh.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best defenders of his generation.

Kind of glad we won't see him lining up against us next season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

One of the best defenders of his generation.

Kind of glad we won't see him lining up against us next season. 

I was looking forward to it, massively declined and that was clear toward the end of last season. There's a good reason he's retiring, I expect his play off final performance was the final straw. Good for us last season though and has you say as been among the best in his position in his pomp.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I was against signing him as another Lescott but was thankfully wrong and for me added a professional attitude to the playing side we havent had in a long time

His influence on Jack was so obvious

• Like 3

Â