John Terry

Farlz

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Obviously not true though so I wouldn’t be too worried. Nice to see newspapers noticing us enough to make silly stuff up again, it’s been a weird year in the wilderness! 

It's got quotes from Steve Bruce, so either it is true, or an almighty bollock dropped by the paper.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The likes of Yorke had no problem being picked against us, kissing badges or celebrating against us. lol

Obviously I understand the sentiment.

But another part of me would be annoyed to have your Captain and "best" defender out against one of the best teams in the League for emotional reasons.?

What if we had Chelsea in the League or FA Cup final for instance?

Then I imagine he would make an exception. It won't be a clause that means he 100% will not play against them.

It seems a bit silly, but I doubt the guy is doing it because he fancies a day off. He probably thinks that, rightly or wrongly, he won't perform to his best vs Chelsea.

It's a weird one, but I think he's proved his dedication this season. Enough to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's got quotes from Steve Bruce, so either it is true, or an almighty bollock dropped by the paper.

Oh I’m not saying it’s fake news (ugh) just one of these silly stories where a journalist has said “oh will you pick him against Chelsea?” and Bruce has said “I guess we don’t have to if he doesn’t want to play...” - I doubt anyone is thinking about that eventuality at this point beyond a throwaway answer. I wasn’t being narky, I was genuinely serious that it’s nice to be seeing speculation about such things again - I have missed seeing us in the news and gossip columns!

• Like 1

I don't believe a word of it. In my experience, players tend if anything to raise their game against their old club - it's actually a mark of respect, rather than the opposite. Obviously, they don't celebrate (unless they are an utter clearing in the woods like Dwight Yorke) - the classic example being Denis Law scoring for Manchester City to help relegate United. JT captaining Villa would be welcomed back at Stamford Bridge as a hero - and their fans would expect him to play a blinder. 

• Like 2

Jesus the ego of this guy is unbelievable. Can't bare to play against his old team? It's called being a professional. I wonder will he return his week's wages in the event that we are playing Chelsea that week? 

I like Terry and he's been fantastic since joining but if we go up and allow him to skip a couple games because we're playing Chelsea then that is not on at all. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Then I imagine he would make an exception. It won't be a clause that means he 100% will not play against them.

It seems a bit silly, but I doubt the guy is doing it because he fancies a day off. He probably thinks that, rightly or wrongly, he won't perform to his best vs Chelsea.

It's a weird one, but I think he's proved his dedication this season. Enough to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Absolutely, so he may miss 2 games next season, honestly couldn't give a shit if it means having him as an option for the other 36 games.

• Like 3

wouldn't bother me - a) it's a big if, as it may easily be rendered meaningless should we lose on Sat and b) - he is 37, next year in the prem he would not be playing all of our matches, we would need a younger replacement to bring through.  If he get's us up, he's earned it. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I don't believe a word of it. In my experience, players tend if anything to raise their game against their old club - it's actually a mark of respect, rather than the opposite. Obviously, they don't celebrate (unless they are an utter clearing in the woods like Dwight Yorke) - the classic example being Denis Law scoring for Manchester City to help relegate United. JT captaining Villa would be welcomed back at Stamford Bridge as a hero - and their fans would expect him to play a blinder. 

I think it probably is true.  Chelsea went as far as substituting him in the 23rd minute of his last match or something daft like that, so him wanting to not play against them seems like something he'd ask for.  While he has been great for us, he does have a massive ego too.  Personally I think it's weird when players don't celebrate against their old clubs, ok they probably shouldn't go full on Adebayor but to not celebrate a goal is something that pisses me off that probably shouldn't.  

He always said he didnt want to play against Chelsea, which had to have been a factor in him dropping down a division to come and play for us. I remember at the time he signed he was asked "what if Villa go back up" to which he said ill cross that bridge if we get there.

He's obviously been very positive around the place and has helped massively in restoring some team spirit and pride back in the ranks, and if we do win Saturday, I will not care one bit if his decision is to not turn out against Chelsea. It might look a bit silly and unprofessional, but all the good he has done will outweigh him refusing to play against the side he supports. And besides JT was pretty awful in the prem the season before Conte never used him. Next season will be 3 years later so hopefully we will bring in another decent CB to partner JC for large chunks of the season anyway.

No big deal in my eyes. Imagine it the other way round, Jack Grealish plays 15 odd years with us, suddenly in the twilight of his career finds himself at 37 coming up against us for a new club and says I will never turn out against AVFC, we'd all be loving the attitude and lauding the decision.

• Like 1

So some wouldn’t be happy for Messi to join us if it was on condition he wouldn’t play against Barcelona if we got to a CL Final ?

Fuss about nothing in my view. If he is with us next season it’d be the best thing that’s happened to the Club for years, what difference would it make if (IF- we have no idea of his thoughts shoukd we go up, nor any idea of his ego lol) he missed those 2 games ?

I actually wish there were more examples of a Club meaning so much to a player.

He joined us in the Championship so he didn't have to play against Chelsea in the Prem. He has helped change the dressing room and take Jack under his wing. He comes out and says if we go up he would love to play 36 games for us rather than not at all and people are moaning :') 

Who cares if we rest in two games vs Chelsea? Couldn’t care less.

rather he wa# in background than seeing houllier as our manager touching the Liverpool logo on sky despite being our manager.

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Jesus the ego of this guy is unbelievable. Can't bare to play against his old team? It's called being a professional. I wonder will he return his week's wages in the event that we are playing Chelsea that week? 

Behave!

Â