John Terry

Farlz

6 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

We would be nowhere near as likely to be competing for promotion if we still had Baker instead of Terry.  If we fail to get promoted, bringing in John Terry won't be the cause of that, and without him I don't think there would have been much of a chance of us going for it anyway.  Even if we do end up in the Championship next year and struggling for defenders, I won't be disappointed that we went down the route that we did.

Plus he offers the whole club so much more than Baker or anyone else could.  Obviously the last two games have been incredibly disappointing but generally we've developed much more of a winning mentality and shown a lot more determination this season, and a lot of that is clearly due to our captain's influence.

Totally agree - our best defender since Martin Laursen imo.

Baker as wholehearted as the man is - is also extremely limited 

20 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

We would be nowhere near as likely to be competing for promotion if we still had Baker instead of Terry.  If we fail to get promoted, bringing in John Terry won't be the cause of that, and without him I don't think there would have been much of a chance of us going for it anyway.  Even if we do end up in the Championship next year and struggling for defenders, I won't be disappointed that we went down the route that we did.

Plus he offers the whole club so much more than Baker or anyone else could.  Obviously the last two games have been incredibly disappointing but generally we've developed much more of a winning mentality and shown a lot more determination this season, and a lot of that is clearly due to our captain's influence.

Fair enough. I totally agree that he won’t have been the cause of us not going up (if we don’t, of course), and I have no complaints with what he’s offered us this season.  And yes, this season he has offered far more than Baker would / could have done.  

My point is more that, it was a short term and quite expensive ‘fix’, which potentially leaves us severely short in that area if we stay down, and therefore less prepared to go up next season.  And if it didn’t help achieve the goal of promotion, that would have made it not worth it. 

For what it’s worth, I would have done the deal at the time - I just expected us to achieve promotion. 

19 hours ago, mrjc said:

Agreed.

He's generally been great, but effectively selling Baker to accommodate him and his wages may look like a pretty expensive indulgence if we're down here next year.  Chester + Suliman / Bedeau maybe?!

If selling baker was what we needed to do to get JT then it was absolutely worth it.

Not only was Baker not that great anyway, he was also the main reason we reverted to hoofing the ball so often last season. He was dreadful with the ball at his feet.

JT has been one of our best players and a great captain all season. It was absolutely worth it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If selling baker was what we needed to do to get JT then it was absolutely worth it.

Not only was Baker not that great anyway, he was also the main reason we reverted to hoofing the ball so often last season. He was dreadful with the ball at his feet.

JT has been one of our best players and a great captain all season. It was absolutely worth it.

Totally agree with you 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

JT over over BAKER x10

But the lack of cover ta CB is concerning. why he has not used samba or even someone from the u23s i will never know 

He has used Samba when required.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He has used Samba when required.

But where is he now? as far as i am aware he is fit .

Samba should be on the bench at least until axel returns. rather have samba at CB anyday over jedinak

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends what you mean by ‘worth it’. If we get promoted - entirely agree. If we don’t - I suspect we will be worse off in August 2018 than had we not signed him, as I imagine we won’t be able to afford him or a replacement. 

If as it appears probable the best route to promotion is via the play offs then the true value of signing JT will become evident.

His experience in big games will be invaluable and by having him around the club is one reason why I don’t fear the play offs.

2 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

If as it appears probable the best route to promotion is via the play offs then the true value of signing JT will become evident.

His experience in big games will be invaluable and by having him around the club is one reason why I don’t fear the play offs.

I feel we should all be concerned by the play offs - they are by nature a lotttery and would we beat Fulham over two legs ? Something I am not convinced about - I do take your point however regarding JT. big game experience and hopefully you will be proved right 

• Like 1

Lets say JT gets injured, then what? 

Not confident for playoffs. I think Fulham are better than us on their day. But anything can happen in knockout games.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not confident for playoffs. I think Fulham are better than us on their day. But anything can happen in knockout games.

Need to come in top 4 to get the home leg second.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Need to come in top 4 to get the home leg second.

Not convinced that’s a good thing - lose by 2 goals away and we are screwed as teams would come here and shut up shop ..

all good if we get at least a draw away but I wouldn’t fancy us to pull back a deficit 2nd leg - nerves and pressure would be immense .

However in a 1st leg I’d fancy us to beat anyone at home - that said I think we will get a top 4 finish and need to hold our own away from home .

10 hours ago, mrjc said:

Depends what you mean by ‘worth it’. If we get promoted - entirely agree. If we don’t - I suspect we will be worse off in August 2018 than had we not signed him, as I imagine we won’t be able to afford him or a replacement. 

Even if we don't get promoted and find ourselves short of a centre back come summer, his role in transforming the mentality of the club in his year here cannot be understated.  When he came in we were still in a rut and there was still clear evidence of a losing mentality.  Terry has instilled drive, determination and pride back into our side, and I think that will be his legacy even after such a short time here.

Also, to get back to where we were before Terry signed, we'd need to sign a centre-back of equivalent ability to Nathan Baker.  Although he's not a terrible defender, I don't think that will be too much of an ask.  Yet the chance to sign someone of John Terry's calibre does not come along that often.  We made the right decision regardless of whether we go up or not.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Not convinced that’s a good thing - lose by 2 goals away and we are screwed as teams would come here and shut up shop ..

all good if we get at least a draw away but I wouldn’t fancy us to pull back a deficit 2nd leg - nerves and pressure would be immense .

However in a 1st leg I’d fancy us to beat anyone at home - that said I think we will get a top 4 finish and need to hold our own away from home .

On the flip side I'd hate to see us going to Craven Cottage with a 1 goal lead with a whole 90 minutes to play.

Bruce has said non-internationals have had today, tomorrow and sunday off but have trained as normal all week however he appears as though he's been in dubai since the bolton game...special treatment?

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Bruce has said non-internationals have had today, tomorrow and sunday off but have trained as normal all week however he appears as though he's been in dubai since the bolton game...special treatment?

Maybe.

Old boy needs a rest. He's plenty fit. No problems from me or the squad I'd imagine.

Â