John Terry

Farlz

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Time to move this to other football? Along with all the loan players going back

So was selling Nathan Baker with potentially 10 more years of service to fund one year of Terry worth it? 

His shirt is barely cold ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Junxs said:

So was selling Nathan Baker with potentially 10 more years of service to fund one year of Terry worth it? 

Yes - baker wouldn’t have helped get us up - terry has had a big influence on a lot of players - he may be gone but his influence will live on 

40 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Yes. Yes it was. We lost very little and gained an awful lot.

• Like 1

Not exactly a surprise. Was only going to stay if we went up.   Hope his off the field influence is remembered cuz otherwise I can see lots of little cliques reassembling. 

13 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Will probably end up going to chelsea in a coaching role and bring Grealish with him :P

In which case they’d loan him to us for 5 seasons and then sell back to us.. so happy days :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

In which case they’d loan him to us for 5 seasons and then sell back to us.. so happy days :D

That Abramovich money isn't going to launder itself is it! 

• Haha 2

John Terry left Aston Villa WITHOUT club making him an offer to stay... despite his desire to stay and achieve Premier League promotion

• John Terry has left Aston Villa without the club making an offer for him to stay
  • The 37-year-old was hurt at missing out on promotion in the play-off final
  • Terry was prepared to stay and try to drive Villa back into the Premier League
  • Sportsmail understands Villa were not forthcoming in an offer to extend his deal

John Terry has left Aston Villa WITHOUT the club making an offer for him to extend his stay.

The 37-year-old was hurt at missing out on promotion in the Championship play-off final and was fully prepared to see out the job he had started by spending another season trying to drive Villa back into the Premier League.

However, Sportsmail understands Villa were not forthcoming in an offer to extend his contract and Terry has taken a decision to explore other options.

His departure comes amid a backdrop of expected swingeing cuts at Villa with an estimated £11million drop in parachute payments taking effect.

Highly-rated young midfielder Jack Grealish will also be sold to offset the cost of missing out on promotion.

Owner Tony Xia said: 'We are all aware that we will face severe FFP challenges next season. I am an Aston Villa fan. But I am also a businessman.

'Under the current circumstances, I think the club needs to rethink not only the past two years but also the past ten years. Villa needs to be a sustainable football club.

'We have been heavily investing for the past two seasons. However, the loss on Saturday means that we need to change a lot of things.'

Terry joined Villa on a one-year deal last summer after leaving Chelsea and was appointed captain. He enjoyed a strong relationship with manager Steve Bruce and his teammates and the last of his 36 appearances came in Saturday's play-off final loss to Fulham.

'I will look back on my time here and think about how close we were to reaching our goal,' said Terry. 'I have given my everything this year both on and off the pitch and I'm still hurting today that we never managed to get back to the Premier League, where this club 100percent belongs.'

Terry has interest from the United States and China as well as clubs here and in Europe but was ready to commit to Villa's cause. It is also understood that talk of a clause being inserted in any contract excluding him for selection against Chelsea was also unfounded.

Terry's exit is likely to be the first of a busy summer at Villa Park. Under new FFP regulations agreed in November 2014, Championship clubs are not permitted to lose more than £39m over a three-season period.

Xia, who bought the club in June 2016, has spent a large amount in his two years at the club, with Scott Hogan, Ross McCormack and Jonathan Kodjia all joining for fees in excess of £10m.

The future of manager Steve Bruce is also uncertain. 

Seems he actually wanted to stay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5788651/John-Terry-left-Aston-Villa-without-club-making-offer-stay.html

Gutted to see him go, his influence on the club in 12 months has been huge. His profile is massive and it's great for Villa to have such big characters on board.

By all accounts, he's shown everyone at the age of 37 what it takes to be a top professional. 

Something we've dearly, dearly lacked for many years. I hope that's rubbed off on the younger players at the club, I should imagine a few of our younger lads will remember him.

Â