John Terry

Farlz

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But if he isn't capable playing much where's the benefit?

I think it's being overlooked that he managed 90 minutes 4 times in an entire season. At 37 years old how many of those 46 games is he going to cope with? 

We dont need him playing 90 minutes each week. If he can give us 75 mins a week thats good enough. We have baker as cover 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So John Terry....

Never ever.... ever did I think we would be liked with signing him. It's a funny old game as little legend called Jimmy used to say.

It is impossible to discuss Terry without discussing both the man and the player.

Terry the player, has quite simply been one of the finest English CB's of the last 20 years in an era where we've really not been short of great CB's.

His positional sense and reading of the game have been exceptional throughout his career. So much so that they have allowed him to be a dominant CB at domestic, European and International level despite not having the physical attributes of great height, strength or pace that are normally in the locker of great modern day CB's.

Then there is his grit, his desire to win and his leadership.

Terry has been an exceptional CB not through physical attributes but mental ones.

It remains to be seen if the passion and will remain, if they will burn quite so bright in a man of 36/37 no longer mixing it with the best at the highest level. Will he still want to win quite so much playing for a Swansea, Small Heath or Villa?

If we did land him would he be a Paul McGrath or a Ronny Johnson.

One thing for certain for me is that if Villa are to sign a CB of that age I would always want it to be one that depended on mental attributes rather than physical.

So that is Terry the player, sadly though you have to talk about Terry the man. The man ridiculed by most football fans and detested by many, the man Chelsea players and fans describe as a living legend.

John Terry divides opinion, perhaps like no other player, I struggle to think of one who evokes such passionate alternate opinions.

Lets cut to the chase, he has done some bad things and not just to the former Mrs Bridge!!!

Selling trips around Cobham wasn't good neither was the incident with American tourists at Heathrow in the aftermath of 9/11. Then there is the allegation of assault on a bouncer (he was cleared), the fine for parking in a disabled space, then there is the Anton Ferdinand issue. 

Not a great list really but few players go through a 20 year career at the top without a bit of a charge sheet.

Then we have his kit antics and that farewell. Which frankly make him look a bit of a tit. 

But then there is the other side of Terry. The side that pays for the funeral of a child. The Terry that on hearing a young Chelsea player had suffered a serious injury on his comeback after 11 months out sent him and his family on an all expenses paid holiday. Or when he paid for driving lessons for all the Chelsea youth team in the days when they were on £80 a week.

Then you have what players, managers say about him. What Chelsea fans think of him and I have to say the first hand experience meeting him of fans of other sides, I know a number of them who say he simply couldn't have been nicer.

JT captain, leader, legend. That's the banner at the Bridge and it will be there next season wherever he lays his hat the Bridge will always be his home.

But that banner is incomplete, it should really say JT captain, leader, legend, enigma.

My view on Terry has fluctuated down the years, sometime from week to week. I don't really blame anyone for what they think of him, a case can convincingly be made for saint or sinner, the truth is somewhere in between.

What can't be in doubt is his quality on a pitch and the qualities he brings off a pitch to a team.

Sure he isn't the Terry of 5 years ago but as I said before he was never particularly quick anyway.

Villa have been soft for years now. The mentality at the club is weak and the will to win well frankly I think that left with O'Neill. 

I want a team and players who want to win at all costs, Terry whatever you think about him and how ever much he has faded is certainly that.

So if he lands at VP I will be delighted. Because to be frank, something needs to f'ing change at the club.

And personally, I'm quite happy to put aside any previously held views I've had of Terry if he can help bring about that change because I'm sick and tired of watching the pathetic, gutless tripe we've witnessed for the best part of a decade now.

Still wouldn't leave him anywhere near the Mrs though. 

Brilliant post Trent!

Do you expect him to sign?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's being overlooked that he managed 90 minutes 4 times in an entire season. At 37 years old how many of those 46 games is he going to cope with? 

You say that as though it was due to fitness. It wasn't it was down to selection now granted form comes into that but Terry just wasn't first choice for Conte which was largely due to the way he had them playing.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I watched Villa about 30 times last season and we were dog shit bad in most of them, to question Terry's talent or ability to improve us is a bit of a moot point in my eyes. 

:) Well I agree with this part at least.

And on that note where do you stand on Steve Bruce?

The guy is a born winner, and I would say at points in his career, was bordering on World Class. When was the last time we were linked with, let alone signed a player of that stature? Yep, he's got a bit of history, but so have Grealish, Agbonlahor, McCormack etc..... and they are not fit to lace Terry's boots. The concerns about whether he can last a 46 game season are valid, but there is nothing more difficult for a footballer than a lack of consistent playing time. 5 games out, 1 game in, for the entire season is going to leave you rusty and prone to errors, especially when you are playing at the very, very top of your profession. It is an absolute no-brainer for me.......

Edited by Jenko#4
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You say that as though it was due to fitness. It wasn't it was down to selection now granted form comes into that but Terry just wasn't first choice for Conte which was largely due to the way he had them playing.

True. But I'd be amazed if at 36 fitness wasn't part of the issue. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We dont need him playing 90 minutes each week. If he can give us 75 mins a week thats good enough. We have baker as cover 

If he has to be subbed off every game I'd say that's an issue. We want the defence to be settled, bringing on a defender every game as a sub wouldn't be great IMO. 

And I think it's doubtful he can manage that every single week for the season. 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

So John Terry....

Never ever.... ever did I think we would be liked with signing him. It's a funny old game as little legend called Jimmy used to say.

It is impossible to discuss Terry without discussing both the man and the player.

Terry the player, has quite simply been one of the finest English CB's of the last 20 years in an era where we've really not been short of great CB's.

His positional sense and reading of the game have been exceptional throughout his career. So much so that they have allowed him to be a dominant CB at domestic, European and International level despite not having the physical attributes of great height, strength or pace that are normally in the locker of great modern day CB's.

Then there is his grit, his desire to win and his leadership.

Terry has been an exceptional CB not through physical attributes but mental ones.

It remains to be seen if the passion and will remain, if they will burn quite so bright in a man of 36/37 no longer mixing it with the best at the highest level. Will he still want to win quite so much playing for a Swansea, Small Heath or Villa?

If we did land him would he be a Paul McGrath or a Ronny Johnson.

One thing for certain for me is that if Villa are to sign a CB of that age I would always want it to be one that depended on mental attributes rather than physical.

So that is Terry the player, sadly though you have to talk about Terry the man. The man ridiculed by most football fans and detested by many, the man Chelsea players and fans describe as a living legend.

John Terry divides opinion, perhaps like no other player, I struggle to think of one who evokes such passionate alternate opinions.

Lets cut to the chase, he has done some bad things and not just to the former Mrs Bridge!!!

Selling trips around Cobham wasn't good neither was the incident with American tourists at Heathrow in the aftermath of 9/11. Then there is the allegation of assault on a bouncer (he was cleared), the fine for parking in a disabled space, then there is the Anton Ferdinand issue. 

Not a great list really but few players go through a 20 year career at the top without a bit of a charge sheet.

Then we have his kit antics and that farewell. Which frankly make him look a bit of a tit. 

But then there is the other side of Terry. The side that pays for the funeral of a child. The Terry that on hearing a young Chelsea player had suffered a serious injury on his comeback after 11 months out sent him and his family on an all expenses paid holiday. Or when he paid for driving lessons for all the Chelsea youth team in the days when they were on £80 a week.

Then you have what players, managers say about him. What Chelsea fans think of him and I have to say the first hand experience meeting him of fans of other sides, I know a number of them who say he simply couldn't have been nicer.

JT captain, leader, legend. That's the banner at the Bridge and it will be there next season wherever he lays his hat the Bridge will always be his home.

But that banner is incomplete, it should really say JT captain, leader, legend, enigma.

My view on Terry has fluctuated down the years, sometime from week to week. I don't really blame anyone for what they think of him, a case can convincingly be made for saint or sinner, the truth is somewhere in between.

What can't be in doubt is his quality on a pitch and the qualities he brings off a pitch to a team.

Sure he isn't the Terry of 5 years ago but as I said before he was never particularly quick anyway.

Villa have been soft for years now. The mentality at the club is weak and the will to win well frankly I think that left with O'Neill. 

I want a team and players who want to win at all costs, Terry whatever you think about him and how ever much he has faded is certainly that.

So if he lands at VP I will be delighted. Because to be frank, something needs to f'ing change at the club.

And personally, I'm quite happy to put aside any previously held views I've had of Terry if he can help bring about that change because I'm sick and tired of watching the pathetic, gutless tripe we've witnessed for the best part of a decade now.

Still wouldn't leave him anywhere near the Mrs though. 

He'd better hope Wayne isn't in then or there could be more trouble

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You're a big boy, you can form your own opinion on him. I was sharing mine. 

Personally for me, someone who is a racist, has an affair with a work colleagues partner and behaves so badly in public that their employer has to fine them is a piece of shit. If you don't think so that's fine. As I say you can use your own morals to decide what you deem acceptable in people's behavior. 

I've heard many people say things in the "heat of the moment" over the course of my life and have learned you can't judge someone based off of "incidents" especially reported  and sensationalised by media. I'm not sure if the British or US Media is worse at this point - I highly doubt he is a "racist".

I'm wondering why people aren't more pissed off at Wayne Bridges wife? Men are men, there are only so many times a woman is going to pass you the ball before you catch it. - NOT trying to justify it at all though.

I've noticed this is a pattern when people just don't fancy a signing, if it was a player you fancied I could hazard a guess you would be finding positive reports about them if the situation was flipped,

Some of you are acting like Fox News/CNN etc lobbying for/against their preferred candidates.

I would love to know what some of you have done your whole lives and if you are angels or what?

• Like 3

Trents post pretty much sums it up really - terry could be iNstrumental in getting promotion and if so then the wages will be nothing in  comparison to the riches of the premiership - only time  will tell ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KHV said:

My main worry about Terry is that he was shit in his last few appearances for Chelsea, loads of mistakes and way off the pace. It looked like time had caught up with him from what I was seeing.

Don't you think this may have had to do with rustiness etc and not having a sustained run in the team?

I think coming here would be a good opportunity for him, he will be motivated, fresh start and won't be a "fading light" in a superstar team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jenko#4 said:

The guy is a born winner, and I would say at points in his career, was bordering on World Class. When was the last time we were linked with, let alone signed a player of that stature? Yep, he's got a bit of history, but so have Grealish, Agbonlahor, McCormack etc..... and they are not fit to lace Terry's boots. The concerns about whether he can last a 46 game season are valid, but there is nothing more difficult for a footballer than a lack of consistent playing time. 5 games out, 1 game in, for the entire season is going to leave you rusty and prone to errors, especially when you are playing at the very, very top of your profession. It is an absolute no-brainer for me.......

He is legend.  He has won almost everthing and why should he play for Villa?  Maybe, this is his chance to promote.  If we will win the league, he will be the king.  His legacy will belong to Chelsea but also to Aston Villa.  Why should he choose Birmingham?  No chance to promotion.  Why Swansea?  Nothing to achive except avoiding relegation.  Terry is a winner and avoiding relegation is not exciting.

We are not playing in Premier League, so we need not Chelsea top class player.  Ok, he is not as fit as before but still he is great.  Ok, maybe he cannot play 46 games, but can he play 30 games in 90 minutes or 46 games in 60 or 75 minutes?

He had made personal mistakes or bad behaviour.  But what about Suarez?  He changed when he came to Barcelona.  Terry's bad behaviour earlier does not necessarily mean bad behavior in the future.

His chance and maybe his ambitious is:  John Terry legacy,  He made Chelsea great and he manage to make Villa great again!

He should play for us 2-3 season.  Next season as much as he can.  Next season (hopefully in premier league) he can play most of the game.  Maybe third season he plays some games but starting to coach at Villa, if he is interested.

I say welcome John Terry.  

But I am calm, and will not celebrate before he has sign.

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Being capable of playing well in the Championship is a long way from having to do it in the Premier League.

Not sure it's such a long way anymore outside the top six of the Premiership. There may be more money available but watching mid to lower table Premiership games last season I really didn't see a lot of difference in the quality of football played by those teams as opposed to teams chasing promotion in the Championship where Villa expect to be next season. You would also have to consider that there is more games to play in the Championship coupled with the league being more physical and rugged. I'm really not sure John Terry is up to that now but if he signs then we're going to find out pretty soon.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I said this in the transfer speculation thread, but where's the evidence that he only played 90 minutes 4 times because of fitness rather than tactical? I don't disagree that the question needs to be asked but then you see players like McAuley at the baggies playing week in week out and he's a year older than Terry. 

Â