The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

22 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Shocking race baiting. 

The trouble is that the pictures are accompanied by a line about him potentially saving hundreds of lives by warning his neighbours.

I don't put much credence in the story.

It was probably a kitchen fire but the exploding fridge thing sounds unlikely.

39 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The trouble is that the pictures are accompanied by a line about him potentially saving hundreds of lives by warning his neighbours.

I don't put much credence in the story.

It was probably a kitchen fire but the exploding fridge thing sounds unlikely.

Beko fridges say hi

• Like 1

Yeah, why the **** would we want to install some sort of safety system in a tower block housing hundreds of people if it's going to cost money?

**** 'em. they live there, if they want safety, let them pay for it.

17 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

But who's going to pay for these sprinklers?

Shake the magic money tree again?

Whoever owns the building or similar buildings in order to make them safe to inhabit which this building clearly wasn't. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Whoever owns the building or similar buildings in order to make them safe to inhabit which this building clearly wasn't. 

Yes they make enough money. How many flats in that tower block? You multiple that by about £3000 a year for management fees paid by the landlords. that's what they make so they should at least make the tower block safe

Edited by PaulC

6 minutes ago, andyh said:

Yeah, why the **** would we want to install some sort of safety system in a tower block housing hundreds of people if it's going to cost money?

**** 'em. they live there, if they want safety, let them pay for it.

Exactly.  There are hundreds of simply beautiful houses within a 2 mile radius of that tower block.  If you don't like it, just go and live in one of them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peterms said:

I see forensic investigators are saying it will take months to establish exactly what happened.  I suppose that's not surprising in view of the size of the area to cover, but I can imagine many people wanting answers more quickly than that.  Perhaps if the public inquiry gets moving quickly that might help - the Lakanal House inquest didn't happen for four years, and I can't imagine anyone accepting such a delay this time, with the level of anger that seems to be developing.

Caution and leadership are required here. While it should take place as soon as possible and perhaps allowing it to start within the next few weeks would be a good thing, be very careful about it being too quick as there are numerous political reputations in play here. The terms of reference of this enquiry will be most enlightening.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I'll find something to back this up later, but Labour put forward an amendment last year to make rental properties safer by having mandatory electrical safety checks.

The tories voted it down.

72 tory MP's were also landlords.

I already know you are right.

I'm a landlord, I do it.

• Like 2

Just watching channel 4 news and the interview with Lily Allen who is clearly very emotional about what has happened. She also said she has been told by police etc that the death toll figure will be upwards of 150. She was, perhaps not surprisingly, firmly pointing the finger at the Tories.

People need to be held accountable for this and face criminal charges.

Edited by markavfc40

I can see things turning fairly ugly at some point within this community and I can't say I would blame them. The anger is bubbling and as the numbers rise I can see there being civil unrest.

Theresa May's PR visit today was a disgrace.

• Like 2

I think you mean Theresa May's 'visit'.

compare her weak and weasly attendance with Corbyn's visit to meet the community.

just like the election, when the going gets tough, she gets going (out of sight).

1 minute ago, andyh said:

I think you mean Theresa May's 'visit'.

I'm not sure I get your point.

When I say it was a PR visit I mean she went to be seen to be there for the camera's and the news. For her PR.

Obviously not to meet the people affected, she doesn't care about them. They are the little people, they don't pay enough tax to matter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not sure I get your point.

When I say it was a PR visit I mean she went to be seen to be there for the camera's and the news. For her PR.

Obviously not to meet the people affected, she doesn't care about them. They are the little people, they don't pay enough tax to matter.

I wasn't having a pop at you.

I showed it as 'visit' as it wasn't really a visit to the scene of the disaster and to show her compassion and solidarity with the community.

Â