The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

Coincidentally, my smoke alarm went off in the early hours of Wednesday morning.  As soon as I'd woken up and gone to investigate, it stopped.  No smoke, no fire.  (As an aside, any idea why this would happen?).

To then wake up at my usual time to the news reporting on a severe fire in a London high-rise was completely surreal.  It's a horrific event.  The rate at which the fire seems to have spread is utterly terrifying.  Accidents do happen, but this seems entirely avoidable had the right reviewing procedures been in place.  That's sickening.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Coincidentally, my smoke alarm went off in the early hours of Wednesday morning.  As soon as I'd woken up and gone to investigate, it stopped.  No smoke, no fire.  (As an aside, any idea why this would happen?).

To then wake up at my usual time to the news reporting on a severe fire in a London high-rise was completely surreal.  It's a horrific event.  The rate at which the fire seems to have spread is utterly terrifying.  Accidents do happen, but this seems entirely avoidable had the right reviewing procedures been in place.  That's sickening.

Might it be your CO alarm (if you have one)?

As an aside if anyone here does not have a Carbon Monoxide alarm I'd urge you to get one today. Mine very likely saved my entire families lives when it went off in the middle of the night.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There are various possible causes;

Change in temp affecting power from old batteries, age of the alarm and/or batteries (alarms last about 10 years), something else triggering the alarm such as dust or an insects which does happen.

I'd recommend opening it up, look for a 'replace by' sticker which it should have and depending on what it says consider replacing it. While up there give it a clean and vaccum inside and out and obvious check the batteries.

Far too many people don't check their alarms/batteries or replace them regularly enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

As an aside if anyone here does not have a Carbon Monoxide alarm I'd urge you to get one today. Mine very likely saved my entire families lives when it went off in the middle of the night.

Everyone really should have one, or more depending on the size of the house. And remember to test the damn things are working!!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Might it be your CO alarm (if you have one)?

Yes, do have a CO alarm too actually - they're both in the same area (live in a small terrace house, both located on the stairs basically).

Does a CO alarm go off more readily than a smoke alarm?  @TrentVilla - cheers for the advice, I definitely don't check them anywhere near enough - basically just do a "hold button" test annually.

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Far too many people don't check their alarms/batteries or replace them regularly enough.

Some alarms come with the battery fitted and with a piece of plastic making sure they are not connected.

People fit them and forget to remove the plastic and so they don't actually work.

• Like 1

Standard for them. Paul Golding recorded yesterday outside East London Mosque filming about how that area is a no go area if you are white. Along come two white ladies telling him to piss off. Classic. The worst thing was that the mosque was in the middle of getting things together to send over for the residents of the tower.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Standard for them. Paul Golding recorded yesterday outside East London Mosque filming about how that area is a no go area if you are white. Along come two white ladies telling him to piss off. Classic. The worst thing was that the mosque was in the middle of getting things together to send over for the residents of the tower.

The problem in this world is the moron's, of all creeds and colour. We just need to get rid of them and the rest of us would be ok.

• Like 4

I see forensic investigators are saying it will take months to establish exactly what happened.  I suppose that's not surprising in view of the size of the area to cover, but I can imagine many people wanting answers more quickly than that.  Perhaps if the public inquiry gets moving quickly that might help - the Lakanal House inquest didn't happen for four years, and I can't imagine anyone accepting such a delay this time, with the level of anger that seems to be developing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Didn't take them long, did it? FFS...

Screenshot_2017-06-15-13-44-55.png

First thing my mom said to me yesterday about it was "I reckon it was terrorists making a bomb, given the clientele"

I genuinely couldn't believe she'd said that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Daily Mail scooping to a new low. They've released a picture of the person who's fridge exploding may have cause this. They've put a picture of him enjoying a pint. 

i saw that on TV last night, interviewing a woman who said her neighbours fridge had a faulty electric connection...how the **** can they report that as news?

Â