The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Most dangerous appliance in the home and you can't turn them off.

A combination of plastic, highly flammable insulation, air tight container and add in gas...

If they go they really really go and can give off highly toxic fumes.

(I used to be in the fire service)

I think reading that blog post about issues with power surges suggest that it could have been appliances on different floors that went pop rather than a single incident.

I presume we'd have heard reports of "explosions" in that case though, as I can't imagine they go off quietly.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Which floor did it start on? Depends whether people could use the fire escape. Or whether that was engulfed. 

Witnesses reporting people actually on fire jumping from upper floors. If stairs were an option I think most would have taken their chances that way over a DIY Icarus.  

Just now, Awol said:

Witnesses reporting people actually on fire jumping from upper floors. If stairs were an option I think most would have taken their chances that way over a DIY Icarus.  

yes just read it. Terrible. people have to be brought to account this shouldn't happen in this day and age

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

there's like a resident advice thing doing the rounds which I'm not sure how genuine it is but it reads something like in case of a fire stay put, you've got 30 minute rated fire doors which is enough time for the fire brigade to get you out

24 floors, 120 flats, guess at 250-300 people maybe, with the best will in the world that ain't happening

awful advice

Even more awful is apparently eye witness reports state that the fire went from about the 4th floor all the way up to the 24th floor in about 20-25 minutes. The whole stay put thing has likely killed almost everyone on floor 17 and above.. I really hope it's not that bad, but how can stay put be the advise when your building is on fire? Terrible advice.

From a few witness statements I've read on the BBC, it appears the Fire crews were telling people to stay where they were - apparently before the whole thing was engulfed and they couldn't physically then get to them to save them.

Neighbour Tamara said when she got there the whole right side of the building was on fire.

"The whole thing was engulfed in flames. We could hear people screaming 'help me' so me and my brother ran over to the estate and there were people just throwing their kids out saying 'save my children'," she said.

"The fire crew, ambulance and police couldn't do anything, they couldn't get in, and they were just telling them to stay where they are, and we'll come and get you.

"But things quickly escalated beyond measure and they couldn't go back in and get them.

"Within another 15 minutes the whole thing was up in flames and there were still people at their windows shouting 'help me'.

"You could see the fire going into their houses and engulfing the last room that they were in."

Rishan Elcock lives in Grenfell Tower and says his mother and five-year-old sister were in the tower for five hours in their 11th-floor flat.

"The fire brigade told them to wait. My mum was panicking and I was panicking. She eventually got out and got taken to hospital shortly after.

"She opened the door and she said she had to step over a dead body to get out."

BBC Updates

The fatalities number is going to be enormous, devastatingly. The flats are between 2 and 4 bedroom, 4 to a floor, depending on storey, the fire started on the 4th floor and the advice is stay put... It's 24 stories high. That's hundreds of people.

I hope it either wasn't fully occupied or a lot of people got out.

10 minutes ago, Daweii said:

400-600 people are reported to have been living in that tower.

Only 50 are so far accounted for and being treated in hospital..

Only 50 people are in hospital. Lots of people have got out safely and don't require treatment in hospital. There will no doubt be a lot of deaths, but there are far more than 50 people accounted for, lots of them are giving interviews!

6 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

In 21st Century Britain, I cannot understand how living quarters like this can be so exposed to such rampant fire. That there, was a death trap waiting to happen. I can only imagine the horror that those residents have been through, and the quandaries faced by the responding emergency services. Terrible incident.

If you live in one of those neighbouring towers, I am sure that you would feel quite numb today.

100% agree its shocking that this has been allowed to happen. I think there will be a major review of safety in all tower blocks now. Is it private or council? The owners of the tower block need to be held accountable. 

Edited by PaulC

As morbid as this is, I have to wonder if the 6 confirmed deaths were those who had jumped from the building. Surely they haven't started to clear the building yet, for fear of it collapsing?

• Like 2

Horrible.

Fear of something like this has always put me off living in any sort of high rise building.

I always try to stay on a low floor of any hotel for the same reason.

Even living on the bottom story of a converted house in my early 20's was bad enough when the fire alarm would go off after someone would come home pissed & burn something on a friday/saturday night.

Â