The Great Tower Block Fire Tragedy of London

TrentVilla

• 3 weeks later...

An absolute bellend I work with commented on this today. In his view people should get done for this, but any foreigners that had family killed or injured should be entitled to naff all. The fact that they are living in this country should be the only benefit they receive. They should also have to pay for health care. I let him ramble on until I pointed out that his grandad is actually Indian. He's a typical privileged knobhead who looks down on people, and has had everything handed to him on a plate. 

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

An absolute bellend I work with commented on this today. In his view people should get done for this, but any foreigners that had family killed or injured should be entitled to naff all. The fact that they are living in this country should be the only benefit they receive. They should also have to pay for health care. I let him ramble on until I pointed out that his grandad is actually Indian. He's a typical privileged knobhead who looks down on people, and has had everything handed to him on a plate. 

Your work colleague is a racist word removed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

word removed

A council worker has admitted defrauding around £60,000 from the Grenfell Tower victim fund.

Jenny McDonagh, 39, took cash meant for survivors of the tragedy and victims' grieving family members using pre-paid cards. The Kensington and Chelsea Council finance manager spent the funds on trips to Dubai and Los Angeles, expensive dinners and online gambling. McDonagh, described as a "serial fraudster", admitted fraud and theft. She obtained the money "while being neither a survivor or bereaved family member", Scotland Yard said. After the fire, McDonagh withdrew £62,000 over 10 months, Westminster Magistrates' Court heard.

Prosecutor Robert Simpson described her as a "serial fraudster" who "lives beyond her means and gambles".

He said she used the stolen funds for a "trip to Dubai, Los Angeles, meals in expensive restaurants, hair appointments and personal luxuries for herself".

He added: "She spent quite a lot of money on online gambling. She spent £32,000, of which £16,000 was winnings and lost roughly £16,000 in online gambling."

McDonagh's marriage has since broken down, the court heard. McDonagh, of Abbey Wood, south-east London, pleaded guilty to two offences of fraud, one of theft and another of concealing criminal property. She was released on conditional bail with an electronic tag and will be sentenced at Isleworth Crown Court at a date to be set. Senior District Judge Emma Arbuthnot said "custody is the obvious place to go" and ordered a pre-sentence report. McDonagh was also ordered to quit her current job as finance officer at a mental health charity and inform the police before taking on any further work.

Following her conviction a Kensington and Chelsea Council spokesman said the authority was "shocked" by the fraud and found McDonagh's actions "unforgivable".

"We take fraud very seriously and we have always taken action to root out Grenfell fraud wherever it takes place.

"On this occasion it was one of our own members of staff who managed to defraud the council by getting past our own systems and processes. This is both shocking and unforgivable.

"We discovered the fraud and took action straight away, including strengthening our internal processes.

"We apologise to the survivors and families for any distress this may cause."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45354033

I mean I know people are animals but some people are a really special type of scum.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can only imagine that person has some deep mental problems.

He said she used the stolen funds for a "trip to Dubai, Los Angeles, meals in expensive restaurants, hair appointments and personal luxuries for herself".

Sounds like very shallow mental problems to me.  Avarice, consumerism, watching too many adverts, selfishness, utter lack of consideration or empathy for others, lack of any sense of social responsibility, being a bit stupid.

• Like 2

I've not looked in to this in any depth. But my understanding is that somebody working in the local council, literally at a distance from Grenfell where they could smell it, has used money for survivors to go on holiday and have some nice dinners.

I think that's beyond consumerism and greed. I like buying things and I can be greedy.

This is the behaviour of someone with issues, be it learning difficulties, depression, or whether they are a sociopath. I don't know, it's not my field. But it's hardly greed and too much telly. That's a cop out.

• Like 3

It won't be learning difficulties.  Finance Manager is a mid-ranking post requiring experience and expertise, not something that someone with LD is likely to be doing.

Since she has pleaded guilty, it should be 3-4 weeks for sentencing, which will include a probation report and also, if there is any perceived need for one, a psychiatric report.  So we should get some professional insight at that point,  in so far as it is announced in court, taken into account in sentencing, and subsequently reported.

My money's on simple criminality motivated by greed, taking advantage of a perceived oppportunity where she didnt expect to be caught, nothing more exotic.

She probably doesnt even perceive herself as having deprived anyone of anything.

The only noteworthy aspect of this case is the Grenfell connection, but that won't have been anything to do with her motivation.  It's a commonplace and everyday crime.   Her relative seniority gives her the oppportunity to thieve a little more than average, but there are lots of thieves at this level and much, much higher.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I've not looked in to this in any depth. But my understanding is that somebody working in the local council, literally at a distance from Grenfell where they could smell it, has used money for survivors to go on holiday and have some nice dinners.

I think that's beyond consumerism and greed. I like buying things and I can be greedy.

This is the behaviour of someone with issues, be it learning difficulties, depression, or whether they are a sociopath. I don't know, it's not my field. But it's hardly greed and too much telly. That's a cop out.

Come on mate the woman is absolute scum. I'm not letting hee get off with that excuse. Greedy horrible and evil scum is better way to describe her.

Well, I've discussed this with my missus.

Apparently I'm quite a naive person. She then rattled off a whole list of examples of 'scum' behaviour such as beating up old ladies for a few quid, rape, conmen that empty people's pensions etc..

I suppose it was inflammatory language! And I suppose I have no idea as to why she would do such a thing. Still her actions are pretty indefensible.

It strikes a chord with me. I went down there after the fire, saw and met the locals all asking where the money was going?

I suppose until the details of this case come out we'll never know but there are definitely scumbags out there unfortunately. But then I'm judging them by my own moral code eh, which is something we kind of all have our own take on.

Â