Virgin Media

TOTTI-THE-GOD

Really hoping you lovely lot can help me out with a bit of advice, I'm currently with Sky as our broadband provider but its just the basic unlimited package non fibre. 

Virgin has recently been turned on in our area and there doing an offer for 100 mbs broadband and basic tv package for £23 a month on a 12 month contract, it sounds a great price to me but I've heard bad things about Virgin are any of you lot with them and if so how are they to deal with and is there internet any good ? 

Internet is good but the superhub is not. Get yourself a netgear/Asus etc router and run the superhub in modem mode and you're all good.

• Like 1

My Mom has Virgin and every 3 or 4 weeks she loses TV or Telephone or Broadband.

I would give them a go but they need to change the user interface on their boxes, when compared to Sky it looks like something out of the eighties.

i have the 300Mbps internet and the stupid all singing & dancing every channel package, just done a speedtest and even now at peak time it still runs at over 200. Seems to be the only ISP that doesn't cap use and they really don't seem to care even if you are downloading1000GB+ per month. The quarterly statement they send is rather amusing sometimes when it says here's how much you have got from your virgin service : internet 5,800gb.. hehe

The service actually reasonably priced unless you want the sports channels as sky sports (including BT sports) with the hd channels extra ends up costing  another £40-£50 per month

In the past 4 years i think it has maybe been down or had issues for 2 days in total

The tv is what it is, Basically the same channels as sky but there are a few you will not get such as sky atlantic and even if you have the new 4k hub virgin still do not broadcast anything in 4k (no sky sports/bt sports in 4k) and the odd channel such as boxnation doesn't even have a HD channel .If you have the top package you also get a load of on demand box sets & stuff

Edited by LakotaDakota

It's ok.  I was with them and was really pleased at first, but was on the old TiVo box which was rubbish.  Internet speeds were great but the hub meant poor wifi coverage in the house.  I recently moved house to one that doesn't have Virgin - they're charging me £240 for breaking the contract.  I was 14 months into an 18 monther.  Left a sour taste.

Internet is pretty good.

Superhub is dreadful.

TV service is fine, on demand stuff was ground breaking for many years and is still good.

TV equipment used to be decent on paper but the TiVo box is ancient now and is very, very slow . They updated the software recently and has seemed to have helped but it still is slow. New kit is supposedly good but that is for 4k and high end packages really.

14 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's ok.  I was with them and was really pleased at first, but was on the old TiVo box which was rubbish.  Internet speeds were great but the hub meant poor wifi coverage in the house.  I recently moved house to one that doesn't have Virgin - they're charging me £240 for breaking the contract.  I was 14 months into an 18 monther.  Left a sour taste.

We have recently moved from Virgin to Sky, mainly because of the lack of technical care they showed us.  We basically lost all functionality on our boxes as they were not talking to the server.  This lasted a couple of months, no series links, no TV guides and no catch up, all services they claimed were added value at no extra cost, which was untrue if they even bothered to look at the bills they were sending out.

I cancelled my contract with them and they wanted to charge us the £240 for breaking the contract, after numerous e-mails and letters using the resolver online service, and pointing out that we were only still in contract due to the fact they blew our homehub up when they launched superfast broadband, they cancelled that bill.

• Like 1

This isnt really related to the internet but I just rang them as found a good sim only deal with them. God the customer service on the phone was awful. She wanted my direct debit details before I had even told her what I want 

We've been with them for almost 18 months, had loads of problems with them mainly surrounding having to suspend our service and reinstate it before and after a flood at home. Took so long to sort it i ended up writing to the CEO for the first time ever, they sorted it within minutes. Then the solution they put in place was changed after 3 months. Another letter to CEO later and it was sorted...again. 

All in all, service good, no issues with internet provision. But customer service generally shocking. 

I switched to VM from Sky after about 11 years just 2 weeks ago. Can't complain so far. Someone on another forum was offering to refer people to maybe get a deal so I gave him my details. VM called me back and offered me the Full House bundle (all channels apart from Movies and Sky sports, does include BT sports) plus phone line and 200mb broadband for £32 a month plus a £50 credit on my account.

I think the guy who referred me got £50 credit too.

2 weeks in and can't complain at all. Internet is lightning fast. I fired up my Xbox One for the first time in a few weeks to update the wifi and there was a 3.4gb update required, it sorted it in a matter of minutes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I switched to VM from Sky after about 11 years just 2 weeks ago. Can't complain so far. Someone on another forum was offering to refer people to maybe get a deal so I gave him my details. VM called me back and offered me the Full House bundle (all channels apart from Movies and Sky sports, does include BT sports) plus phone line and 200mb broadband for £32 a month plus a £50 credit on my account.

That is great!

• 3 months later...

So I am with sky bb and am currently on the sky fibre unlimited and phone for £28.99 a month (dont have tv as use iptv instead) and get 34mb speed. the next one up is £43.99 for 60mb. This seems really behind in terms of Virgin.

Can anyone share their experience with Virgin bb/fibre internet? is it worth switching or is the deal sky offering at £43.99 reasonable?  

Virgin sent me a letter saying they were increasing the price by £3.50 a month. 

I only signed up with them 6 months ago at an agreed price. :angry:

Do i need to go through the whole rigmarole of ringing them up and threatening to cancel  <_<

On 26/09/2017 at 14:09, ender4 said:

Do i need to go through the whole rigmarole of ringing them up and threatening to cancel  <_<

Read the contract and see if that's a breach. But I suspect they will drop the old controlled by inflation line

On 26/09/2017 at 14:09, ender4 said:

I had a similar letter but it also said that as I recently joined on a fixed price it wouldn't change.

On 29/09/2017 at 16:55, ender4 said:

It says i have a right to cancel at the bottom of the increase letter.

But i don't want to cancel - i just want to pay what was agreed at the start of the 12 month contract.<_<

Ring them, you have to initially say you want to cancel because of the rise, they'll hold the price I'm sure.

On 9/29/2017 at 16:55, ender4 said:

It says i have a right to cancel at the bottom of the increase letter.

But i don't want to cancel - i just want to pay what was agreed at the start of the 12 month contract.<_<

I had the same letter, it say's that they will honour the promotional offers currently active and so you will continue paying what you are paying until the end of the 12 months.

• Like 1

Â