Cheick Tioté RIP

NurembergVillan

It's been reported that former Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tioté has died of a heart attack aged 31, during a training session with his club side in Beijing.

Tragic news, especially for such a young guy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/cheick-tiote-dead-dies-died-newcastle-united-beijing-enterprises-heart-attack-cause-of-death-a7773986.html

The former Newcastle United player Cheick Tioté has died.

Tioté collapsed during a training session with the Chinese League One side Beijing Enterprises. He was subsequently rushed to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. 

12 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

This seems to happen fairly often to footballers. I don't get it. Most players are incredibly fit, and you'd think they would be in great health. 

Most of the time it's congenital, so really has nothing to do with fitness.  But it's possible for you to have a heart attack as a result of an enlarged heart caused by exercise (athletic heart syndrome). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

This seems to happen fairly often to footballers. I don't get it. Most players are incredibly fit, and you'd think they would be in great health. 

It seems being really fit can trigger heart attacks. Not only that he may of had an heart condition he never knew about, it does happen.

37 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It seems being really fit can trigger heart attacks. Not only that he may of had an heart condition he never knew about, it does happen.

My friend passed away from heart trouble. He was so fit trained regularly was just lean not big or muscley. Didnt drink or smoke and cut fat off his meat and he died at 32 few years ago.

It does seem there is a bit of a link here =(

He was really good for his first few years up there, probably stayed too long.

Very sad and another with an African background. It can happen to anyone but they probably should step up checks for those players with that heritage.

Terrible news. I learnt this this afternoon from a friend of mine who is a local fan of that club.

These are GIFs of him playing the last match (on Saturday 3/June). Can't believe how a great footballer who just played a game two days ago suddenly passed away.... 

RIP. 

format,webp

format,webp

Not meaning to throw any dirt at Tiote specifically here, but in a more general sense I do wonder how much supplements(with very lax QQ standards)/steriodish stuff professionals are on these days. The drug testing, in addition to the simple health screening, system is a joke and when you see the ripped physique some of these players have. It certainly makes me think given how prevalent and accessible these things are. 

Edited by villakram

Â