Philippines

maqroll

So...not only is their president a homicidal maniac, but the lid they had on their jihadist population has been blown right off with the Manila attack. Troubling to see a new ISIS type front open up in Asia. Indonesia and Malaysia will be watching this very closely I think. USA has a military base there too. Tense times.

There is a lot about this incident and the coverage that just don't add up.

There were 36 people killed which you wouldn't know from some of the reports.

It's been reported as a robbery yet they don't know the guys name let alone his motivation although ISIS have claimed it as the action of one of their supporters.

It doesn't really feel like a terrorist attack but who takes petrol on a robbery when you've got an assault riffle?

On 03/06/2017 at 18:43, HanoiVillan said:

I'm frankly glad we have a thread in which to comment about the genuine monster that leads this country. 

Trump is a big admirer of Duterte and has invited him to come visit. If that's not a ringing endorsement of his character, I don't know what is.

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:43, HanoiVillan said:

Whatever the story about this attack, I'm frankly glad we have a thread in which to comment about the genuine monster that leads this country. 

As I mentioned in another thread, no-one knows the exact number of people who have been murdered without a trial by hit squads in the last year, but best estimates are between 5,000 and 10,000 people. The near-silence on this topic from most 'mainstream' news outlets is infuriating as well. 

Its the war on drugs isn't it? 

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Edited to remove superfluous words

You could've at least got the spelling right ;)

But you're right, nonetheless, for a 240 year old country, we've got a lot of blood on our collective hands. Almost as much as you do in Britain, which is amazing, considering we're so young a country.

10 hours ago, PaulC said:

Its the war on drugs isn't it? 

Yes, sadly it is. 

He's not the first south-east Asian leader to encourage hit squads - Thaksin Shinawatra was doing the same 15 years ago - but this is on a totally different scale. 

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

You could've at least got the spelling right ;)

But you're right, nonetheless, for a 240 year old country, we've got a lot of blood on our collective hands. Almost as much as you do in Britain, which is amazing, considering we're so young a country.

Given population growth and the "improvements" in our ability to kill, I'd bet the real numbers are illuminating. Both of you are an evil bunch of sods and ruled by people of similar persuasion voted into office in a democratic process :D 

• 2 months later...

Duterte continues to govern in exactly the same way. On Monday night, the bloodiest night of violence so far left 32 dead, many more injured and hundreds in custody:

'Police in the Philippines have killed 32 people in a series of raids near Manila, in the bloodiest night yet of President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs.

Supt Romeo Caramat said 67 police operations in various parts of Bulacan, a province north of the capital, had left 32 “drug personalities” dead and more than 100 others in custody.

“We have conducted ‘one-time, big-time’ operations in the past. So far, the number of casualties and deaths, this is the highest,” Caramat said at a news conference to publicise the raids.'

[. . .]

'Duterte praised the operation in Bulacan, which took place from Monday night until Tuesday afternoon, and urged police to kill dozens of drug suspects every day.

“The ones who died recently in Bulacan, 32, in a massive raid, that was good,” Duterte said in a speech to an anti-crime organisation that has backed the drugs war. “If we could kill another 32 every day, then maybe we can reduce what ails this country.”

[. . .]

Duterte was elected president last year on a quick-fix, populist platform of wiping out crime and pledging to put drug pushers in funeral parlours, not prisons.

He has said he is “happy to slaughter”millions of of drug users and dismissed the deaths of children as “collateral damage”.

The former prosecutor said he used to personally kill criminals when he was mayor of the southern city Davao and once threw a suspect out of a helicopter.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/16/philippines-police-bloodiest-night-duterte-war-drugs

He has now gone a step further, and advocated killing human rights observers within the country:

'Human Rights Watch has denounced a call by Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte for police to shoot rights activists who get in the way of his bloody drug war.

[. . .]

Speaking following the bloodiest night of his one-year tenure in high office, Duterte said he would investigate human rights defenders criticising him, or order officers to kill them.

“One of these days, you human rights groups, I will also investigate you. That’s the truth. For conspiracy,” Duterte said.

“If they are obstructing justice, you shoot them,” he said. “So they can really see the kind of human rights.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/17/human-rights-watch-philippines-president-duterte-threat

The man truly is a monster. 

• Like 1

Assuming he has much opposition, how long until these drug dealers just so happen to also be people who may threaten his position?

...hell, might already be the case for all I know, not that au fait with Philippine politics beyond the obvious.

• 1 month later...

Moral monster manages massive WTF? moment:

Philippines: Duterte says his son will be killed if he is involved in drugs

'The Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, has said he would have his son killed if drug trafficking allegations against the younger politician were true, and that the police who carry out the hit would be protected from prosecution.

Paolo Duterte, 42, appeared this month before a senate inquiry to deny accusations made by an opposition lawmaker that he was a member of a Chinese triad gang who helped smuggle in a huge shipment of crystal methamphetamine from China.

Duterte did not refer to the allegations specifically but reiterated his statement from last year’s election campaign that none of his children were involved in drugs, but they would face the harshest punishment if they were.

“I said before my order was: ‘If I have children who are into drugs, kill them so people will not have anything to say,’” Duterte said in a speech on Wednesday night in front of government workers at the presidential palace in Manila.

“So I told Pulong [Paolo’s nickname]: ‘My order is to kill you if you are caught. And I will protect the police who kill you, if it is true,’” he said.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/21/philippines-duterte-son-will-be-killed-if-he-is-involved-in-drugs

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Moral monster manages massive WTF? moment:

Philippines: Duterte says his son will be killed if he is involved in drugs

'The Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte, has said he would have his son killed if drug trafficking allegations against the younger politician were true, and that the police who carry out the hit would be protected from prosecution.

Paolo Duterte, 42, appeared this month before a senate inquiry to deny accusations made by an opposition lawmaker that he was a member of a Chinese triad gang who helped smuggle in a huge shipment of crystal methamphetamine from China.

Duterte did not refer to the allegations specifically but reiterated his statement from last year’s election campaign that none of his children were involved in drugs, but they would face the harshest punishment if they were.

“I said before my order was: ‘If I have children who are into drugs, kill them so people will not have anything to say,’” Duterte said in a speech on Wednesday night in front of government workers at the presidential palace in Manila.

“So I told Pulong [Paolo’s nickname]: ‘My order is to kill you if you are caught. And I will protect the police who kill you, if it is true,’” he said.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/21/philippines-duterte-son-will-be-killed-if-he-is-involved-in-drugs

Seems like reasonable parenting

Â