British & Irish Lions - New Zealand 2017

TrentVilla

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Do I get a bonus point for remembering you lot in the thread title BOF?

A bonus point? That's what they're bloody called! :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If rumours of the replacement call-ups are true then Gatland is a **** dick. I understand the argument about geography but that shouldn't matter. As Eddie Jones says, pick on merit over location.

Lions caps (regardless of whether they are mid-week or not) should not just be handed out. We're going to get tuned by the ABs but I genuinely think we could be competitive if it wasn't for Gatland and Howley. I thought picking Leigh Halfpenny (with by far the worst stats of any tier 1 full-back) was bad enough but Cory Hill over Joe Launchbury is another level. 

Edited by JB
  • Like 3

It does undermine the Lions ethos somewhat and I agree, players should be picked on merit not location. 

Still surprised neither gray brother has a call up considering they're currently in Australia and second row replacements are needed.

But I suppose neither are welsh or used to playing one-dimensional warrenball ;)

Hate to say it, but this tour will end up in a humiliation of results. 

• Like 1

Hadn't even thought of the Gray brothers. That makes it even worse. It sounds dramatic but Gatland and Howley are pretty much ruining this tour for me. We won in Australia in spite of them (and because Australia were shit).

I hate to say it but I'm feeling slightly jaded about the Lions. It's supposed to be about the four nations coming together but as you say, Gatland is undermining that with Wales undeservedly being the most representative nation now. Gatland is breeding resentment towards them amongst rugby fans with his bias. Moriarty (who shouldn't have been there in the first place) ruled out - surely that means an overdue call-up for Robshaw? Plus articles on WalesOnline about how the loss to Highlanders was Owen Farrell's fault and how Halfpenny would've nailed that kick. 

I bloody love the Lions and this is all putting a massive downer on it for me. 

• Like 4

Williams at full back and Daly on the wing both excellent calls. Did not expect Gatland to drop two of his favourites, though - fair play! Not sure about Jones over Itoje but other than that happy with the line-up and the attacking intent. Excited now!

Unsure about not even having North on the bench.

I can remember saying to a mate of mine after one of those warm up games before the World Cup that Jamie George might well be first choice hooker quite quickly.

I meant England (I think I said by the end of the WC) - I was wrong but not about his potential. Great to see for him. :)

Edited by snowychap

North has done nothing to deserve a place in the 23. Picking him would've been a gamble based on the hope that he would turn up. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him on the bench in place of Halfpenny. It's pointless him being there. North, Joseph or even Nowell would be more likely to be game-changers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I absolutely love North as a player, he would have a place on the bench for me.

On his day yes, but his days are few and far between now. He just looks like he can't be arsed most of the time and he's not got a great rugby brain IMO. His strength and physicality set him apart but I think others have caught up with him and even offer more. 

I would have him on the bench over Halfpenny any day, though. 

• Like 1

Â