Negril, Jamaica

Stevo985

Off to Negril in Jamaica in 3 weeks for a fortnight. Cannot wait!

Anyone been before? Any advice on things to do, places to go, things to see etc?

I'm totally unorganised compared to how I usually am. Probably as a result of having a new job where I can't spend half my time planning a holiday :D
I have no plans beyond drinking rum, eating jerk chicken and sitting on the beach!

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Off to Negril in Jamaica in 3 weeks for a fortnight. Cannot wait!

Anyone been before? Any advice on things to do, places to go, things to see etc?

I'm totally unorganised compared to how I usually am. Probably as a result of having a new job where I can't spend half my time planning a holiday :D
I have no plans beyond drinking rum, eating jerk chicken and sitting on the beach!

I went and stayed at Montego bay, don't know much about Negril as it was about 90 minutes from us but the locals rave about the nice beaches. Activities swim with dolphins, (if you haven't done this already) Bob Marley museum was awesome. also went up to monkey mountain was absolutely class. There is also a good water park over there.

If I was you avoid Kingston, horrible place. People hassling you and was quite dangerous in my view. People were generally friendly but you do get a lot of annoying people trying to sell things. If they hassle you let the hotel staff know and they usually get security to get rid of them.  Barring that its awesome, although isn't it raining season now? 

Thanks @Demitri_C

Where is the Marley museum? that seems like the thing to do but I thought that was in Kingston?
Kingston is hours from where we are so we weren't planning on a visit unless it was really worth going.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thanks @Demitri_C

Where is the Marley museum? that seems like the thing to do but I thought that was in Kingston?
Kingston is hours from where we are so we weren't planning on a visit unless it was really worth going.

It is in Kingston but we were getting shuttle buses from our hotel. Its safe round that part of Kingston but its the surrounding areas you just feel abit unsteady as a lot of young gangs in other parts. I would recommend it, it was great. 

You will have  a great time, its generally cheap as well. 

Cool, I'll take a look at the museum, but I think it's like a 4 hour drive from Negril. They offer a tour, but I'll have to make sure it's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, dakid007 said:

Dunns river falls

I read that you can't climb up it anymore. ?

I did it in 2004 I think someone slipped and died a few years later and they stopped it then ?

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

5 Days until I jet off.

Any last minute advice appreciated!

The swim with Dolphins is quite good , you may have left that too late to book though as it can get quite busy ... 

The tree too toboggans in the rain forest might be fun , few other ideas on the same link

http://www.rainforestadventure.com/jamaica-mystic-mountain/

double let check the Bob Marley thing as I think there is a museum (his house) and a mausoleum ... no idea if one is better than the other ( I did neither not really being a fan )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back. 

Had an awesome time. Hotel was decent, beach was amazing, weather was ok. Good time had. 

I did

Bob Marley Mausoleum: crap. I'm kinda glad I did it just to say I've been there, but it was a 3 hour drive followed by an hour "tour" and a three hour drive back. And the tour was only about 10 minutes, but it was dragged out by stopping at half a dozen (literally) places where you had to spend money. 

Dunn's River Falls: this was great. You definitely can still climb them. Great fun. Would advise a guide for anyone doing it, seemed dangerous without one. 

Catamaran trip with snorkelling: I've never snorkelled so this was brilliant. 

Rick's Cafe: great place. **** expensive but a good laugh. Cliff diving was great fun, but a woman on our group broke her pelvis doing it!

I found the Jamaican people to be an almost 50/50 split between incredibly friendly and incredibly rude. And it was usually the people you'd expect to be friendly (bar staff, tour guides etc) who were rude and the people you'd expect to be rude (drug dealers mainly) who were friendly.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, sne said:

Off to Jamaica in March, going to travel around a bit (probably)

Anyone got any tips on what to do and not to?

See above :) 

Dunn's falls, snorkelling and Rick's cafe were all great if you're in that area.

Bob Marley Mausaleum kind of has to be done but it's pretty shit. Takes ages to get there, you're there for ages, and you barely see anything. it's just a series of them shuttling you from one area to the next. "i'll be 5 minutes, while you wait, here's the bar" "Oh I'll be another 5 minutes, here's a band that you have to tip" "Wait here, by the way here's a gift shop" "And now we'll stop here, oh here's a man who will tell you a story about Bob Marley and you have to tip him 10 dollars"

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Â