Calzaghe-Kessler, Fight Fight Fight Fight!

RichardCanning

Who'll win  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who'll win

• Kessler
    • Calzaghe

Bring on Hopkins.

Doubt that'll happen to be honest.

I wouldn't be so sure. After Hopkins last fight he said he'd be up for fighting Calzaghe. I'm not sure theres any other fight left for either of them now.

The Yanks are well aware of Calzaghe now so it would be a huge fight over there also. Says a lot about how much Calzaghe has achieved and how well hes respected that he was on HBO live in the states tonight which is unusual for a fight featuring two europeans.

When you get a spare few minutes get onto youtube and watch some Jones Jr footage, throw in a little Hopkins too if you've got time to kill - then come back and tell me why these guys would ever be scared of Calzaghe :roll:

Had to remove the bold text, but i was reading Frank Warren's column in the paper today. I almost laughed out loud when he claimed Calzaghe is a better fighter than Jones Jr ever was.

In the time ive been around (im 28 years old) Roy Jones Jr at his peak was easily the best pound for pound fighter on the planet.

Check this for a punch. Poetry in motion.

Did Warren say that? Well much like David Gold, what do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

Jones Jr would have brutalised Calzaghe, **** BRUTALISED him.

Just watched the fight, begrudging respect to Joe for finally becoming undisputed at his chosen weight. I had him winning by 2 rounds, a lot of close rounds in there though. I just don't understand why he's waited until he's nearly 36 years old before he did this....true Frank Warren fighter, no substance.

Actually that Kelley KO punch, amusing as it was was a bit over-rated, Kelley wasn't the best of fighters. Watch Jones demolish Bernard Hopkins and James Toney for examples of true genius. Hopkins is a legend and is still a champ now at 42-43 years old, Toney is one of the best fighters I've ever seen - and he never even won a round against Jones.

A prime Calzaghe against a prime Jones would of been one of the all time fights. The only thing missing from Calzaghes resume is the typical US hype. What is it now he's beat 8 world champions.

When you get a spare few minutes get onto youtube and watch some Jones Jr footage, throw in a little Hopkins too if you've got time to kill - then come back and tell me why these guys would ever be scared of Calzaghe :roll:

Had to remove the bold text, but i was reading Frank Warren's column in the paper today. I almost laughed out loud when he claimed Calzaghe is a better fighter than Jones Jr ever was.

In the time ive been around (im 28 years old) Roy Jones Jr at his peak was easily the best pound for pound fighter on the planet.

Did Warren say that? Well much like David Gold, what do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

Just watched the fight, begrudging respect to Joe for finally becoming undisputed at his chosen weight. I had him winning by 2 rounds, a lot of close rounds in there though. I just don't understand why he's waited until he's nearly 36 years old before he did this....true Frank Warren fighter, no substance.

Actually that Kelley KO punch, amusing as it was was a bit over-rated, Kelley wasn't the best of fighters. Watch Jones demolish Bernard Hopkins and James Toney for examples of true genius. Hopkins is a legend and is still a champ now at 42-43 years old, Toney is one of the best fighters I've ever seen - and he never even won a round against Jones.

A prime Calzaghe against a prime Jones would of been one of the all time fights. The only thing missing from Calzaghes resume is the typical US hype. What is it now he's beat 8 world champions.

Jones beat 18, and in 4 different weight classes :)

I was disappointed in the judges tonight, the fight wasn't as one sided as they seemed to have it.....thought maybe it was my anti-Calzaghe bias but no, it seems the beeb actually know how to score a fight too - round for round exactly the same as I had it:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7077373.stm

The same BBC who's headline today is Awesome Calzaghe defeats Kessler?

and was Calzaghe's big-bout brilliance the other day? They got them right too. As did Steve Bunce:

Everyone knows how to beat Calzaghe. You have to stay tight and connect with fast punches, put him on the back foot and don't take any punches.

Just like everyone knows how to beat Floyd Mayweather or Ricky Hatton. I know how to break the 100 metres world record but it doesn't mean I can do it.

He could have fought Jones, Hopkins, provided he was prepared to fight for nothing and Frank Warren was prepared to lose £3/4 million quid - it made no common sense.

Steve 'The Sage' Bunce

Paper champion? Pah!

Bloomin magnificent, as was the pre-fight tribute to the wonderful Ray Gravell. Great sporting day yesterday all round.

:hooray:

The Setanta commentary was a bit dodgy. The guy thought it was 1997 at the start of the fight and went well over the top in round 9/10 as if Calzaghe had it won when Kessler still looked like he could land a KO punch. The co-commentator had to tell him notto speak too soon.

Jones beat 18, and in 4 different weight classes Smile

so Jones was a indisciplined fighter who couldn't control his weight - cheers :-)

:x :x :x :x :x

Actually I think he started out around the mid 150's and the heaviest he got was at heavyweight when he beat Ruiz, weighing in at 193 or thereabouts.

I was disappointed in the judges tonight, the fight wasn't as one sided as they seemed to have it.....thought maybe it was my anti-Calzaghe bias but no, it seems the beeb actually know how to score a fight too - round for round exactly the same as I had it:-

and was Calzaghe's big-bout brilliance the other day? They got them right too. As did Steve Bunce:

Everyone knows how to beat Calzaghe. You have to stay tight and connect with fast punches, put him on the back foot and don't take any punches.

Just like everyone knows how to beat Floyd Mayweather or Ricky Hatton. I know how to break the 100 metres world record but it doesn't mean I can do it.

He could have fought Jones, Hopkins, provided he was prepared to fight for nothing and Frank Warren was prepared to lose £3/4 million quid - it made no common sense.

Steve 'The Sage' Bunce

Paper champion? Pah!

Bloomin magnificent, as was the pre-fight tribute to the wonderful Ray Gravell. Great sporting day yesterday all round.

The only point I was making was that I thought the judges scoring was out of line, and the BBC agreed with me!!

As for the Jones and Hopkins thing - it's fine to say it makes no common sense but those are the kind of risks you have to take to prove yourself. Case in point is Mayweather taking a piss poor purse compared to De La Hoya this year in order to beat the man. The reasoning behind Calzaghe expecting to take a 50-50 or even a 60-40 split for a fight with Jones or Hopkins back in the day was just bollocks, he was only a WBO belt holder and the other guys were undisputed champions, which is why they demanded the bigger share of the purse. That's the way boxing works, and always has worked - with a few obvious exceptions.

Interesting analysis on how to beat Calzaghe by Bunce.

Oh and yes, paper champion was correct until last night - my major gripe with this guy is he should have done this YEARS ago, I can't understand why anyone would argue this point??!

O'Neill at the fight!!

So were these two

dsc00086ij8.jpg

Didn't see MON though. Wish I had so I could of given him some pre Blose advice before fainting at his very presence.

Back to the boxing, it was a good fight and I gave it to Kessler until I watched it on the telly this morning. He was dangerous throughout and definitely landed the bigger punches. It was just that Calzaghe notched up the points and finished stronger.

Oh and yes, paper champion was correct until last night

To me, and most of the boxing world from what I can tell, it has been obvious for years that Calzaghe is a class act, regardless of reasons for not fighting Jones or Hopkins. I didn't need last night to tell me that.

Jones beat 18, and in 4 different weight classes :)

Tagged the ultimate ducker. Brilliant but had Yank hype. Especially look at the Hopkins/Calzaghe situation around aboutish the new century please. Calzaghe beat tons of good fighters but not the Yank signature names which where all this anti Calzaghe hype comes from. Calzaghe fought the best the who would fight him but held back by lack of huge promoter money, his absolute brilliance and him coasting through in 1st gear not top class fighters.

Steve 'The Sage' Bunce

Paper champion? Pah!

The only point I was making was that I thought the judges scoring was out of line, and the BBC agreed with me!!

As for the Jones and Hopkins thing - it's fine to say it makes no common sense but those are the kind of risks you have to take to prove yourself. Case in point is Mayweather taking a piss poor purse compared to De La Hoya this year in order to beat the man. The reasoning behind Calzaghe expecting to take a 50-50 or even a 60-40 split for a fight with Jones or Hopkins back in the day was just bollocks, he was only a WBO belt holder and the other guys were undisputed champions, which is why they demanded the bigger share of the purse. That's the way boxing works, and always has worked - with a few obvious exceptions.

Interesting analysis on how to beat Calzaghe by Bunce.

Oh and yes, paper champion was correct until last night - my major gripe with this guy is he should have done this YEARS ago, I can't understand why anyone would argue this point??!

Every time he clowns someone the goalposts are moved it's happened a dozen times. Calzaghe wanted those 2 his whole career the 2 yankees though have dodged for different reasons. Yankee yankee hype. Typical typical typical silly British people.

well witton lane i think calzaghe proved his point what a class act he his and no matter what you say p4p is one of the top 3 boxers in the world today. You say he avoided roy jones jnr but years ago jones jnr named his price for the fight warren accepted his demands but jones jnr increased his demands by double.hence him wanting to avoid calzaghe not the other way round.

You do seem to have a great knowledge of boxing and i agree jones jnr at his peak would beat calzaghe but your views on calzaghe are just crazy and embrassing and dont understand why you detest the guy so much.

Tagged the ultimate ducker. Brilliant but had Yank hype. Especially look at the Hopkins/Calzaghe situation around aboutish the new century please. Calzaghe beat tons of good fighters but not the Yank signature names which where all this anti Calzaghe hype comes from. Calzaghe fought the best the who would fight him but held back by lack of huge promoter money, his absolute brilliance and him coasting through in 1st gear not top class fighters.

Calzaghe beat tons of good fighters??

Coasted in 1st gear?

Seriously, you just sound anti-American.

Every time he clowns someone the goalposts are moved it's happened a dozen times. Calzaghe wanted those 2 his whole career the 2 yankees though have dodged for different reasons. Yankee yankee hype. Typical typical typical silly British people.

So Jones and Hopkins have dodged Calzaghe in the past....any proof of that?

Bear in mind that Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins and Glen Johnson have all fought each other at some stage in their careers, and all 3 of them have been touted as possible opponents for Calzaghe but the fights never happened. Seeing as we know that Calzaghe ducked out of a fight with Johnson TWICE then we can safely assume that he'd do the same with Jones and Hopkins :)

well witton lane i think calzaghe proved his point what a class act he his and no matter what you say p4p is one of the top 3 boxers in the world today. You say he avoided roy jones jnr but years ago jones jnr named his price for the fight warren accepted his demands but jones jnr increased his demands by double.hence him wanting to avoid calzaghe not the other way round.

You do seem to have a great knowledge of boxing and i agree jones jnr at his peak would beat calzaghe but your views on calzaghe are just crazy and embrassing and dont understand why you detest the guy so much.

You're repeating a story that Frank Warren likes to tell.....and like all Frank Warren stories, it's a lie.

I don't actually detest Calzaghe as a person, I'm sure he's a very nice man, loved small furry animals and pensioners etc.....I do detest the way he's ducked and dodged his entire career though. I'll say it again - what he achieved last night should have been achieved 6 or 7 years ago. Great fighters do not wait until their mid-30's before taking big fights.

Â