Manchester Arena Explosion

OutByEaster?

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Not making me xenophobic, really couldn't give a shit what colour people are or where they are from but living in a small town it always seems to be something that happens in major cities so the possibility of something happening here never really crosses my mind. I suppose things like this just bring things closer to home. I have been to a dozen gigs so far this year at the LG & Barclaycard arenas and looking at my calendar for the year i have tickets to another 20 or so shows at the same venues along with a few in London. Guess i will be a little more wary and maybe a little more sober when attending future events

It's sobering, it really is.

Awful loss of life.

Been in touch with a colleague who has family close to the arena who will give up their bedrooms for kids and families stranded there. I encourage everyone to help out if they can. Possibly 20.000 people are scared, cold and without a working transport system. Thanks everyone.

I remember being at work when the 7/7 bombings happen (I was the first to read about it cuz I was sitting on the internet reading the news instead of working) 

That was a frightening time, my building was on high alert, everyone's bags was searched when they entered the buildings only one entry/exit door was in use, under no circumstances were you to leave anything on the floor etc 

Unfortunately these days it's very much business as usual, there are some idiots out there and we are in the main powerless to stop them. 

Some reports this morning of injuries consistent with the use of nails.

Its impossible to put into words just how unspeakably evil this sort of action is, or how cowardly. To be able to justify this to yourself, it's really quite terrifying.

It sounds like the device was outside the arena targeting those leaving the venue. 

How on earth do you guard against that?

You can search people going into a concert or sporting even all you want but what can you do about something or someone outside?

Someone on the radio this morning described what happened, she'd taken her 11 year old daughter to her first concert. The way she described it was truly terrifying. I cant begin to fathom how someone can do this, targeting kids. Apparently the concert overran by 7-8 minutes, it could have been so much worse. I just hope that the parents and loved ones of those affected all know and that they arent sat around waiting for the news. 

And on top of that, i cant stop thinking of how terrible a job it will be for the emergency services in the aftermath of this. They really do deserve so much respect from everyone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You can search people going into a concert or sporting even all you want but what can you do about something or someone outside?

Nothing at the event, if the intelligence services don't pick it up and disrupt it in advance there's a very good chance an attack will get through if the people doing it don't make any mistakes.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Nothing at the event, if the intelligence services don't pick it up and disrupt it in advance there's a very good chance an attack will get through if the people doing it don't make any mistakes.

Sadly true, it was more a rhetorical question I guess, it's pretty terrifying to have to accept.

Our security forces do a remarkable job, I think people generally don't realise just how many more attacks there would have been or would be without them.

Sadly we will see more attacks like this here and across Europe and the West as ISIS lose their territory. Let's face it, it's almost certainly them or someone acting in support of them.

• Like 1

Â