Manchester Arena Explosion

OutByEaster?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I do always find that aspect pretty uncomfortable - is it just brainwashing? 

Yup, that's religion. If you bump in to any devout Christians, it's no different. Fortunately the country is pretty secular, and most people who say they're Christian are mostly just culturally Christian rather than worshiping and believing in a bearded man in the sky.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FB post from a Yorkshire Muslim dude this evening:

As for the **** depraved scum who bomb children or prey on schoolgirls like those Rochdale taxi drivers.. I believe that every single member of their family should be immediately deported without trial or question. These depraved minds  who can carry out such atrocities need to be made to think twice in their twisted minds that if they do what they plan, than every single member of their family will be deported without question.

No and no (no matter how impassioned and angry someone may feel in the aftermath of last night's events).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Serious answer . Lots of natural history and science . Create the dissonance.

Totally agree. Teach children from their first year at school that some people follow beliefs that have no basis in fact and that as far as research can currently confirm, there is no more truth in such cults than fairies at the bottom of the garden. Teach that everyone has a right to believe what they wish but without basis in fact or truth, religion will not be taught in schools.

• Like 4

Got to be honest, I checked out the Facebook profile to see if it's legit, it reads like something that'd be put out by the EDL.

You don't counter barbaric acts by throwing away hundreds of years of the rule of law out of fear or anger.

Edited by Davkaus

Just now, Davkaus said:

Got to be honest, I checked out the Facebook profile to see if it's legit, it reads like something that'd be put out by the EDL.

I was asking myself that as I read it, was it just a fabricated post by an EDL type. It's almost too perfect.

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

Totally agree. Teach children from their first year at school that some people follow beliefs that have no basis in fact and that as far as research can currently confirm, there is no more truth in such cults than fairies at the bottom of the garden. Teach that everyone has a right to believe what they wish but without basis in fact or truth, religion will not be taught in schools.

I think they should teach what religion is, why it exists, how similar some of these religions are, almost like a history lesson

The Greek and roman gods once you apply context actually make a fair bit of sense and you start to understand the purpose they served and why we moved on, do the same with modern religions

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I was asking myself that as I read it, was it just a fabricated post by an EDL type. It's almost too perfect.

Well you can rule that out by the half decent standard of spelling and grammar.

He's ruined any good point he may have with the 'deport families' line.

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think they should teach what religion is, why it exists, how similar some of these religions are, almost like a history lesson

The Greek and roman gods once you apply context actually make a fair bit of sense and you start to understand the purpose they served and why we moved on, do the same with modern religions

Indeed. Cults born out of some humans need to put meaning to things they can't understand or comprehend and/or to belong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I condemn all religions equally.

Its ironic isn't it? They all have their version heaven, they all claim to be a peaceful religion, and its pretty damn clear that life would be more peaceful, dare i say more heavenly without them all. 

Its the 21st fecking century. Anyone that still thinks our planet, our universe was knocked up by some long haired super being on his day off needs to be put down, as they offer feck all to our lives.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The Greek and roman gods once you apply context actually make a fair bit of sense and you start to understand the purpose they served . 

Lead to some great stop motion films too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The BBC is reporting that they will have the armed forces protecting 'key sites'.

Clearly we aren't scared enough yet.

It's a win win win (for the advocation of troops and wotnot).

If you deploy lots of military and nothing happens then they're (part of) the solution.

If you deploy lots of military and something nearly happens but is stopped then it was obviously (and will be next time) the right thing to do.

If something else does happen then the deployment wasn't sufficient but was obviously necessary.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There are plenty of good people who are religious and religion has done a lot of good for people.

Unfortunately these days I see religion doing more harm than good. Just my view but I grew up with religion and I don't like it. 

I don't believe in god, but I still gibe to charity, help people when I can and live a life where I try to be a good person. 

• Like 2

Â