Manchester Arena Explosion

OutByEaster?

5 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Just had a message from sky news to say the terror alert has been raised to critical and that Theresa May has warned that the military could be deployed to the streets.

Clicked on the message and can't find any more about it though.

She'd not give it a second thought. Her wet dream, that.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone think this will be reopen the tapping phone debate?

There won't be much debate. I'd be shocked if law enforcement weren't given intrusive new powers, even if there's nothing to suggest they'd have been useful in preventing this attack.

May doesn't miss a chance to infringe on our civil liberties, and anyone who speaks out will be shouted down as aiding terrorists and endangering our children.

• Like 2

Looks like it's correct, can't find anything about the military though

The BBC is reporting that they will have the armed forces protecting 'key sites'.

Clearly we aren't scared enough yet.

• Like 3

Looks like it's correct, can't find anything about the military though

It's confirmed, as a result of the change in threat level the Police have requested additional armed support from the army.

Its pre planned in terms of s stategic move but it's still s pretty significant development.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Army support for Wembley and Twickenham this weekend I'd imagine plus airports and train stations.

We're at Twickers for the Aviva Premiership final (COYW). It's reassuring to know that there'll be extra security measures, but having seen armed police and sniffer dogs at last years Redskins-Bengals game at Wembley, it all feels a bit surreal too.

Has the armed forces been deployed like this before? They helped out in place of G4S as security at the Olympics, but this is the first time I can remember them being deployed in the place of police.

FB post from a Yorkshire Muslim dude this evening:

I've never been one to mince my words and I don't intend to now:

We Muslims need to take a long hard look at ourselves and ask what are we actually contributing to this country in return for the hospitality we are offered? 

Proclaiming that "Well, I'm in such and such a profession and also a Muslim" is of no value or significance. What we do as work is our job for the purposes of income. What have we benefited this country in the context of the faith that you and I proclaim to follow?

How much longer can we tolerate **** child rapists in Rochdale & Halifax ? Drug dealing "bros" ravaging communities from Birmingham to Burnley? Idiot drivers from Blackburn to Rusholme? And now **** suicide bombers - may their parents be eaten by pigs.

I think as a Muslim community we have come to a crossroads. We call ourselves religious but in practice we offer nothing of our faith to our hosts. Entire towns have become ghettos and communities from Batley to Bradford think it is acceptable to just live from cradle to the grave in the UK without any interaction with the wider community. 

Until we love our English hosts as we proclaim to love each other we will always fail. Either we change how we live here and abandon our insular ways or else we can expect to be increasingly unwelcome. 

As for the **** depraved scum who bomb children or prey on schoolgirls like those Rochdale taxi drivers.. I believe that every single member of their family should be immediately deported without trial or question. These depraved minds  who can carry out such atrocities need to be made to think twice in their twisted minds that if they do what they plan, than every single member of their family will be deported without question.

I don't really care who I upset with this post. We, as Muslims have reached a crossroads. Either we love and embrace or we can start looking for property on Pakistan's and Bangladesh's version of Rightmove.

That's if the electricity there is working..

(Feel free to share)

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Has the armed forces been deployed like this before? They helped out in place of G4S as security at the Olympics, but this is the first time I can remember them being deployed in the place of police.

Yes and no, they've been rumoured to have been used undercover on U.K. streets, particularly special forces but nothing ever this clear cut.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I agree, but it's very difficult. The wife of one of my ex-colleagues is a primary school teacher in Bradford. It's 90% kids from Muslim families, but a secular, state school. She's supposed to teach them about other religions, but when she attempts to, they (clearly instructed by their parents) refuse to listen, get upset, insist that only Islam is the true religion, and that anything else is Satanic. These are five year olds we're talking about, here. Where do you start? 

Having avoided a religious upbringing (Mum is a "Christian", but not really) and so not speaking with any expertise, it does seem that Islamic children/maybe even just people are the most closed-minded.  During discussions about why the hell people believe in a God etc, my Muslim friends aren't able to explain why they practice Islam or why they believe in a God - it's just that way because it is.  Of course, incredibly charitable and lovely people, but just... I don't know, lacking any individuality when it comes to religion?

I do always find that aspect pretty uncomfortable - is it just brainwashing?  I mean, it's good to question things even if you just end up maintaining your original point of view.

Edit:  My wording here might be terrible, but I'm tired :/

Edited by bobzy

Â