Manchester Arena Explosion

OutByEaster?

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Are there any strict Christian countries?

KKK land? But what do you do with the ones who act in the name of something which isn't religion?

There isn't a simple solution and if you found a way to remove everyone on the list, there would still be a list.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

KKK land? But what do you do with the ones who act in the name of something which isn't religion?

There isn't a simple solution and if you found a way to remove everyone on the list, there would still be a list.

Now we are off topic :)

34 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

And teach ABOUT ALL religions equally .

Can you imagine.... 9am-9pm daily doing nothing but nonsense. I say with get a jar and write the name of all the religions on pieces of paper and then at the beginning of each school year, say 3 are drawn from the jar and that's the part of the human belief culture/system that the students that year get exposed to and learn about. He boiled for your sins!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villakram said:

Can you imagine.... 9am-9pm daily doing nothing but nonsense. I say with get a jar and write the name of all the religions on pieces of paper and then at the beginning of each school year, say 3 are drawn from the jar and that's the part of the human belief culture/system that the students that year get exposed to and learn about. He boiled for your sins!

There are plenty of good people who are religious and religion has done a lot of good for people.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

F that noise . My school finished at 3pm.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

And teach ABOUT ALL religions equally .

I agree, but it's very difficult. The wife of one of my ex-colleagues is a primary school teacher in Bradford. It's 90% kids from Muslim families, but a secular, state school. She's supposed to teach them about other religions, but when she attempts to, they (clearly instructed by their parents) refuse to listen, get upset, insist that only Islam is the true religion, and that anything else is Satanic. These are five year olds we're talking about, here. Where do you start? 

As @Xela and myself have said today has been quite an emotional day.  I think I have just realised why, my son is at Manchester Uni and him and his sister have been to many concerts at the Manchester Arena, and even my wife and daughter went to see Disney on Ice there before Christmas.  A similar age demographic for those attending last night, even in my wildest nightmares did i not think to say be careful and come back safe and that is what thousands of parents will be thinking today.  I remember watching a documentary on 9/11 and a fire fighter saying always remember to tell them you love them as you leave, so true.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, limpid said:

So why does the Catholic church protect paedophile priests from prosecution?

I condemn all religions equally.

I really don't understand why you talk about catholic church here... Was this terrorist attack executed by catholics? O_o

1 minute ago, chakal said:

I really don't understand why you talk about catholic church here... Was this terrorist attack executed by catholics? O_o

I don't think that's an answer to my question.

This attack was committed by a nutter.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

This attack was committed by a nutter.

& therin lies the biggest problem. There must be hundreds or thousands of people being watched & monitored at any given time and multiple organised threats/potential attacks seem to be stopped before they happen (i doubt we will every know the true number/scale) but how do you stop a random nutter with a pressure cooker full of nuts & bolts who decides he wants to blow himself up in a public place

3 hours ago, colhint said:

I think whoever forms the next government should give a higher public profile to the Muslim Council of Britain. People say that 99% of Muslims are decent people, I think it's more like 99.99% are very decent people. I want to hear the MCB have a voice. I rarely hear about them in the media. In fact I think the only times I hear about them is when they have to apologise for an arsehole who claims their faith. I do remember a while back a local mosque raised money when Jewish graves were desecrated, hardly mentioned if I recall. 

I think if they have a higher platform they could highlight the many of the good things done by Muslims in this country. Unfortunately at the moment all we hear at the moment is the terrible things done by a tiny, tiny minority.

This is a fantastic idea. I'm not in any way making this political, I just can't say this any other way. I can imagine it happening under one potential future PM but not under another.

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

& therin lies the biggest problem. There must be hundreds or thousands of people being watched & monitored at any given time and multiple organised threats/potential attacks seem to be stopped before they happen (i doubt we will every know the true number/scale) but how do you stop a random nutter with a pressure cooker full of nuts & bolts who decides he wants to blow himself up in a public place

Apparently you round them up and ship them somewhere. No-one knows exactly who to ship, nor to where, but it's really simple to say and saves doing any thinking.

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

how do you stop a random nutter with a pressure cooker full of nuts & bolts who decides he wants to blow himself up in a public place

Or a nutter on PCP deciding to mount the pavement and plough through pedestrians in his car.

You can't 

Being alive is a dangerous business.

• Like 2

I think what this attack changes perhaps is putting peripheral figures under more scrutiny. The person responsible was apparently known to authorities but not a central figure in their thinking. Much like the London attacker.

I think we can do more. But I'm not sure what it is we can do. Our Foreign policy needs to change a bit. We've dropped lots of bombs on lots of people and that doesn't seemed to have helped us.

At home, ensuring nobody is marginalised whilst also keeping a keen eye on those who harbour Islamic extremist ideology is going to be nigh on impossible. If anything the Muslim community could be the early alarm bell in preventing extremism, but I'm not sure getting a community to inform on each other is going to particularly work either.

I like the Scottish dude in the video a few pages back who said he'd smile at people. I'll try that, being decent can't hurt.

Just had a message from sky news to say the terror alert has been raised to critical and that Theresa May has warned that the military could be deployed to the streets.

Clicked on the message and can't find any more about it though.

Â