Manchester Arena Explosion

OutByEaster?

36 minutes ago, Jon said:

Pales in comparison with how many innocent Muslim children the various western governments (of which we have been very prominent) have killed with scant regard or justification over the past X years.

Yes, it's evil. But so have been the actions of our governments, which have caused the death of tens of thousands of innocent Muslim children. That's partial 'justification'. They see it as a war, and this is retribution.

It's an unspeakably vile, horrific act, but the perpetrator is not 'cowardly' in the way that say a Bush or Blair kill millions but don't get their hands dirty. This person sacrificed themself.

I thought about a similar post but couldn't word it correctly. Just the other week the US killed 300 civilians in 1 day.

It answers the question I keep reading "how could someone do this"?.

Man, it probably shouldn't but it just hits so much harder when it's somewhere you've lived or spent a lot of time in.  Devastating and I'm sure it won't be there will be more :(

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was considering posting something like this, but decided it would bring down the inevitable shower of outrage. This is appalling, but the idea that 'we are the good guys' and 'they' are the monsters is part of the problem. Bear in mind that 'they' see it the other way round. This mindset on both sides has us all locked into an apparently unbreakable cycle of horror. 

We are the good guys though.  As are the Middle Eastern civilians getting bombed every day.

We should not carry the burden of our politicians despicable decisions.  Let Blair and Al Baghdadi fight each other one on one.

• Like 1

Humanity is a such a complex thing. The brain is one of the most astonishing objects I've ever learned about, our progress and civilisation still boggles my mind. But there is still so much of the animal in us. At times there is no benefit in trying to rationalise this or that but just look upon man and weep. 

In terms of the how do we stop/defend/prevent this type comments. It's such a long battle but if we all raise our kids not to blindly believe in sky fairies that would be a reasonable start. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It still doesn't answer it to me I'm afraid.

I get the above, that to some extent it's motivated by or self justified by the actions of the West. However the docterine of ISIS doesn't actually require that justification, justification is provided by the call to kill the non believer as shown by the slaughter of fellow muslims from different sects.

I still though don't understand the self justification. No matter how many of hele attacks happen in the West I could never justify taking the lives of other innocent people in revenge. The vey idea is just so abhorrent it is alien to me.

So while I understand the point people make about vengeance it doesn't in any way answer the question of how someone could do it.

You're looking at this through your own eyes. 

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2017-05-23/daughter-appeals-to-find-parents-missing-after-manchester-terror-attack/

A York College student has written an appeal on Facebook to help find her parents who have gone missing after the Manchester terror attack.

It isnt just parents searching for their children, its kids looking for their parents. That girl must feel so lost. 

Some of the comments on this topic have been ill judged to say the least. 

43 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It still doesn't answer it to me I'm afraid.

I get the above, that to some extent it's motivated by or self justified by the actions of the West. However the docterine of ISIS doesn't actually require that justification, justification is provided by the call to kill the non believer as shown by the slaughter of fellow muslims from different sects.

I still though don't understand the self justification. No matter how many of hele attacks happen in the West I could never justify taking the lives of other innocent people in revenge. The vey idea is just so abhorrent it is alien to me.

So while I understand the point people make about vengeance it doesn't in any way answer the question of how someone could do it.

and its not the time to make comparisons. My thoughts are with the victims and their families right now. 

• Like 2

Oh please give it a rest mate. It's **** all to do with the left. Making political capital about horrors like this makes me sick. I'm a member of the Labour Party and find these acts of insanity quite appalling. 

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Oh please give it a rest mate. It's **** all to do with the left. Making political capital about horrors like this makes me sick. I'm a member of the Labour Party and find these acts of insanity quite appalling. 

I agree, not sure why people feel the need to characterise people into brackets because they have an opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Pales in comparison with how many innocent Muslim children the various western governments (of which we have been very prominent) have killed with scant regard or justification over the past X years.

Yes, it's evil. But so have been the actions of our governments, which have caused the death of tens of thousands of innocent Muslim children. That's partial 'justification'. They see it as a war, and this is retribution.

It's an unspeakably vile, horrific act, but the perpetrator is not 'cowardly' in the way that say a Bush or Blair kill millions but don't get their hands dirty. This person sacrificed themself.

They most certainly are "cowardly" . This person killed themself, and murdered innocent children while doing it. That is not " sacrifice" by my definition.

Edited by meregreen

Listening to the radio this morning, and hearing stories from some of the people who were there. It was pretty hard to concentrate on driving. Had to have a little moment, when I got parked up at work. So terribly sad.

Edited by dAVe80

Â