E3 2017

Chindie

They've got a long way to go before I'll get excited about another battlefront game

but...the visceral games SW game could steal the show for me as well as the respawn SW game, not sure if they'll do 2 SW FPS though, the only snippet of info I saw on it was it's set in a different timeline to anything that's been done before

a new SW galaxy mind blowing trailer is always welcome

theyll have a new need for speed, usual sports games (with the switch announcements, or lack of, being the only interesting bit) and then DLC I reckon

Hoping we see more of Sony's Spider-Man game. And hopefully if we do someone in the design team has discovered the power of sight and realised they have a gorgeous game with the worst Spider-Man design in history front and centre (and that's saying something).

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Hoping we see more of Sony's Spider-Man game. And hopefully if we do someone in the design team has discovered the power of sight and realised they have a gorgeous game with the worst Spider-Man design in history front and centre (and that's saying something).

We'll likely see short edited gameplay of Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Days Gone and God of War. 

They likely won't show more gameplay of Uncharted: Lost Legacy as that is out in 2 months, but maybe an announcement of special edition console bundles with that game. 

I'm also expecting a couple new IP's planned for 2019 and beyond to be revealed, plus maybe a few third party exclusives that shock people.

PS4 is having the kind of dominance PS2 had so any game from any company could wind up exclusively on PS4 at this point. Exciting times for Sony, nervy times for owners of rival systems. 

so they'll have spiderman, god of war, days gone, death stranding, last of us 2, FF7, detroit, knack 2, uncharted LL...then marketing commitments to CoD, FIFA, destiny and maybe RDR...then surely something for VR...then new IPs...theres no way they're squeezing it all in

To be fair, EA usually show off FIFA in their own (terribly boring) show.

There's nothing worse than watching the FIFA reveals every year..

"Show cutscenes of players having more control, can do more skills, improved AI, improved sound, oh and here's [insert football legend] to smile in front of the camera and pretend he knows wtf is going on".

Same shit every year.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

so they'll have spiderman, god of war, days gone, death stranding, last of us 2, FF7, detroit, knack 2, uncharted LL...then marketing commitments to CoD, FIFA, destiny and maybe RDR...then surely something for VR...then new IPs...theres no way they're squeezing it all in

Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Last of Us 2 will likely be the major gameplay reveals of the show getting 5-10 minutes each.

• God of War if they show anything new will be a minor role as it got 8 minutes last year.
  • Days Gone got two showings last year at 3 and 11 minutes each so that will be a minor role this year.
  • Uncharted: Lost Legacy is out in 2 months so that will likely have a small role to play this year. 
  • Detroit: Become Human also had an extensive look at how it worked so may also be a minor player this year.

As for Knack 2 I will be surprised if that gets more than a trailer. The original Knack under performed sales wise and it was a huge shock when it got a sequel. I expect that will be an under the radar release. 

Marketing commitments;

• Call of Duty will likely have a decent 5-7 minute gameplay reveal of one of the missions on stage like Infinite Warfare did last year.
  • Destiny I am unsure about. Activision have already shown off an hours worth of that game including almost all of the opening mission, Sony may not waste time showing more.
  • Microsoft still own the marketing rights to FIFA unless that has changed for FIFA '18.

VR will be a focus once again this year although like last year it will likely be in a sizzle reel format. If they have secured a big budget game like Fallout 4 VR then that will get the biggest 5-7 minute demo like Resident Evil 7 last year.

New IP is a mixed bag at E3, for every huge reveal like Days Gone last year there were others that were 30 second trailers like Spider-Man. Revealing new IP may not take up that much of the show. New IP is a buzz generator and extensive gameplay initially is never expected, it's easy hype building.

As for Final Fantasy 7. I don't know what is happening with that project. Square Enix just assigned a director to the project and only recently decided to develop the game in-house. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is a no show at this years E3. If we see anything it'll likely be a small snippet of whatever gameplay they have managed to create so far..

So assuming each major gameplay reveal gets 10 minutes each, Call of Duty gets 7 minutes, VR gets 10 minutes and New IP gets about 15 minutes that is 62 minutes taken up of a conference that has a 90 minute run time. They have time for a fair bit of filler if they want to use it.   

37 minutes ago, hogso said:

FFVIIR is a very long way off. I don't think showing it would serve any purpose. 18 months+ to release perhaps? 

Yeah if the current news of Square Enix only just appointing a director is accurate then we're likely 18-24 months away from Part 1 releasing. 

I liked how the new director (Hamaguchi) confirmed specifically "Don't worry! I'll still carry on working on Mobius", or words to that effect :lol: Now, Mobius is an alright mobile game (on steam now too I believe), but compared to FFVIIR, who gives a shit, really.

In regards to the 'external partner', I've actually been a fan of a lot of CyberConnect2's work. .hack was a terrifically underrated series I found. Reviewed poorly (well, the games, the anime has a better reputation), sold poorly, and it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. A project that ambitious on the PS2 though, which delivered what they wanted it to, had to be applauded. So I wasn't too concerned when I read about them working on FFVIIR too. Clearly SE weren't happy though, and at least they've pulled it back now rather than 6 months down the line or something. As I mentioned though, although it hasn't been suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if they can some of the stuff CC2 has done (who knows how much that actually is) and re-do it.

Keeping this on topic, how about we mention another SE game with a potentially even longer development cycle, which was announced a E3 four years ago? There are some rumours Kingdom Hearts III will be at E3 in trailer form - but it's another game that's probably a couple of years away, so again, is there any benefit in showing it? We already know it's not going to be out this yax year, so next E3 is probably a better time for it.

FIFA 18 may now appear in some form on the Sony stage as Sony have signed a multi-year marketing deal with the brand. With EA teaming with Sony for FIFA 18 after 5 years with Microsoft this is yet another bitter pill to swallow for the green brand. 

Sony already have multi-year marketing deals with Call of Duty: WWII, Destiny 2, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2, so FIFA 18 is yet another blow for Microsoft ahead of the much anticipated Scorpio reveal. 

18 hours ago, Daweii said:

FIFA 18 may now appear in some form on the Sony stage as Sony have signed a multi-year marketing deal with the brand. With EA teaming with Sony for FIFA 18 after 5 years with Microsoft this is yet another bitter pill to swallow for the green brand. 

Sony already have multi-year marketing deals with Call of Duty: WWII, Destiny 2, Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2, so FIFA 18 is yet another blow for Microsoft ahead of the much anticipated Scorpio reveal. 

At this rate Microsoft will be announcing one bloody game for the Scorpio, it'll look bloody fantastic in (nearly) 4k though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

At this rate Microsoft will be announcing one bloody game for the Scorpio, it'll look bloody fantastic in (nearly) 4k though.

You won't be too far off with that thinking unfortunately.

Xbox One has only had one big-budget exclusive this year and that was Halo Wars 2. There is talk that State of Decay 2 will be out this year, but aside from some exclusive indie games Xbox has had nothing in 2017.

2018 will bring Crackdown 3 and Forza 7 maybe? If Xbox/Scorpio owners are lucky. I want games for my Xbox cause I never use it (PC/PS4 guy), but I don't see where games are coming from for Xbox right now. 

23 minutes ago, Daweii said:

You won't be too far off with that thinking unfortunately.

Xbox One has only had one big-budget exclusive this year and that was Halo Wars 2. There is talk that State of Decay 2 will be out this year, but aside from some exclusive indie games Xbox has had nothing in 2017.

2018 will bring Crackdown 3 and Forza 7 maybe? If Xbox/Scorpio owners are lucky. I want games for my Xbox cause I never use it (PC/PS4 guy), but I don't see where games are coming from for Xbox right now. 

Nor me.

I am an xbox owner and have been since the original xbox but they really are falling behind at the moment. Games are thin on the ground as it is these days with such large production costs but their lack of exclusives is really damaging at the moment.

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Kohima tweeted no death standing at e3, wa under pressure to show gameplay, I'm guessing it's way off release

Yeah it's not out for another 3-4 years so gameplay was always more of a wish than a guarantee.

He will be at the E3 Coliseum with Geoff Keighley so there may be a new trailer, but no gameplay for a while I assume. 

Â