Watford h 29th July 15:00

limpid

Watford and Aston Villa will play a friendly on July 29 in memory of Graham Taylor, who managed both clubs.

Former England boss Taylor died at the age of 72 in January, and Vicarage Road will host the first in what is planned to be a series of Graham Taylor Trophy games against his other former clubs.

Profits from the friendly will be split evenly between the National Memorial Arboretum and the Hornets' self-financing registered charity, the Watford FC Community Sports and Education Trust.

Taylor, who started his career with Lincoln, led Watford through English football's lower divisions to a second-placed finish in the top flight and an FA Cup final appearance in 1984.

He left Watford for the Villa job in 1987, winning promotion to the First Division a year later before going on to take charge of England in 1990.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10827661/watford-and-aston-villa-to-play-graham-taylor-memorial-match

• 1 month later...

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/06/26/villa-park-to-host-graham-taylor-tribute-game

Villa Park to host Graham Taylor tribute match

Villa Park to host Graham Taylor tribute match

Aston Villa Football Club will now host the Graham Taylor OBE tribute match on Saturday July 29.

The game has been switched due to delays with Watford’s pitch renovation schedule.

Relevant match details, such as ticket prices and sales arrangements for the 3pm kick-off, will be confirmed soon.

Profits from the Graham Taylor OBE Tribute Matchday will be shared between the Taylor family’s nominated charities; Staffordshire-based National Memorial Arboretum and Watford’s Community Sports & Education Trust, as well as the AV Former Players’ Club and the Aston Villa Foundation.

Please be aware, tickets won't be on sale until week commencing July 10.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The planning for this has been terrible , it should have been advertised nationally , ive seen very little even locally. The pricing at £15 is so poor , it should have been about getting the ground full to celebrate the life of a man who done great things at this club.

• Like 2

We normally get 20-22k for friendly games. I think if there is 15k there that's all it will be. Having the games on YouTube doesn't help, although it's great for our fans who live on the other side of the world. £15 is a bit steep too. 

On 7/25/2017 at 00:19, Paddywhack said:

I've just read that we've sold under 6,000 tickets. That's pretty awful!

I saw that too. Pretty disappointing.

Unfortunately I'm in Amsterdam this weekend otherwise I'd be there for sure.

Aston Villa is pleased to announce that fans who travelled to Germany for the game with Arminia Bielefeld can claim a free ticket for the weekend Watford match.

We face the Hornets in the Graham Taylor tribute match on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.

As a gesture from the club, fans who can provide travel documents for their German trip – either flight boarding pass or embarkment documents from a ferry crossing from July 25 onwards - can take up the offer of a free ticket.

Supporters wishing to take up this offer should present these, along with their passport, at the Villa Park ticket office before a 1pm deadline on Saturday to exchange for their complimentary ticket for the weekend game with the Hornets. 

We acknowledge the expense fans will have gone to in following the team to Germany and the disappointment from the match being cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.

Chief Executive Keith Wyness said: "We wanted to acknowledge our supporters who travelled to Germany and were planning on attending the match on Tuesday evening. 

"I'm aware many were either en route or preparing to travel and we wanted to say thanks for their unstinting support of the team.”

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/07/26/free-tickets-for-fans-affected-in-germany

Nice move

• Like 1

Sadly I can't go either due to long standing arrangements I can't get out of. Hopefully the game will be covered in the spirit of how it is intended, as a moment to commemorate Graham, and not focus on the lack of tickets sold. When this friendly was first arranged, it was down at Watford initially... it has since been switched and is viewable on Youtube. The ticket price might or might not be seen as value for money

By comparison, a full day of arrivals/rehearsals for the Royal International Air Tattoo (between 10 and 12 hours of constant action) for £15.00 is the best money spent on a day out ever... I know it's chalk and cheese, but shows just how expensive football is, even on a 'celebration day' where the club can sell itself to the community and maybe capture more support for the coming campaign. The club should be aiming to do all it can to fill the ground for such a game, top tier of the Trinity notwithstanding.

Shame I can't make it as I would like to pay my respects for a great football man.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the team tomorrow will be close to the starting 11 vs hull

You'd like to think so. I'd hope Bruce will be taking it pretty seriously a week before the season starts and with a good testing opposition. Hopefully we see a pretty strong Watford team too to give us some indication as to where we're at.

As an aside, I think the pricing on this is ridiculous. I reckon that even just knocking £5 off the adult price would have made a large difference. I don't know why but a tenner for a ticket seems a lot cheaper than £15 to me for some reason (might just be me!). I'm going anyway so yeah hopefully we see a decent game and a fitting tribute even if it is an empty Villa Park!

Â