Shrewsbury a 15th July 15:00

limpid

I'm certainly not going to get in a tizz about a friendly, I even chuckled a little when Shrewsbury got their second - and I went and paid for the pleasure! But to suggest they're completely meaningless isn't quite true, otherwise what's the point in playing them?

If it was purely fitness then I imagine there's better ways of improving fitness than playing 45/60minutes of a match in a day. Therefore it's about game sharpness, team integration, tactics and momentum.

Which is slightly, and I mean slightly, worrying in this instance.

Sharpness was lacking and that's fine and understandable. Hopefully it comes more over the next few games and by Watford we're up to speed.

The team getting to know each other; well I don't see how playing the likes of Veretout and Amavi really helps when they won't be starting the campaign in all likelihood and, even if they did, they're leaving as they're not starters. This aside though and hopefully players will be getting more of an idea of each other with this run out.

Tactics. Well there weren't any. Bruce didn't try any new formations and the play, most worryingly, resembled last year far too much; a weak, uncreative midfield with slow build up play resulting in limited attacks and rare, largely ineffective final balls. Not sure their keeper was really tested. Our midfield looked weak even against this standard opposition and means strikers had far too much to do to even be involved, the service is shocking.

Forgetting everything else about the game and the result, the SIGNS point to another season of struggling to create oportunities. I don't care we looked rusty, I don't care there were silly mistakes, I don't care we let in sloppy goals but I am genuinely concerned there isn't even a hint of progress in how we are set up, or how players link up in improving out attacking threat. I simply don't think we have the personnel to achieve our goals (pun intended!) this season as it stands. I hope I'm wrong.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We also lost 2-0 to Oxford that pre season and only drew with Colchester. 

We finished 6th the season before yet got comfortably beaten 3-1 by Lincoln in that pre season. 

Why do people do this to themselves every pre season?

Because we have been consistently poor for many years and are showing no signs of any improvement.

Thinking things will be fine in the face of evidence to the contrary is the definition of blind hope.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Because we have been consistently poor for many years and are showing no signs of any improvement.

Thinking things will be fine in the face of evidence to the contrary is the definition of blind hope.

Good thing I haven't said that then.

Things may very well not be fine. But how we performed Vs Shrewsbury Town in pre season won't have anything to do with it

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Good thing I haven't said that then.

Things may very well not be fine. But how we performed Vs Shrewsbury Town in pre season won't have anything to do with it

OK, are we only allowed to point out our shortcomings once it is an official match then despite seeing the same problems in this match as we were seeing last season?

I agree that there are preseason friendlies where you are just looking for a fitness workout, play players in odd positions, mix in youth players and make lots of subs and you can't tell anything from those. Then at some point in the preseason the matches get more focused, you start your strongest team and work on patterns and formations for the season.

It looks like the Shrewsbury match was one of the latter types and it is worrying that nothing has changed from last season.  

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

OK, are we only allowed to point out our shortcomings once it is an official match then despite seeing the same problems in this match as we were seeing last season?

I agree that there are preseason friendlies where you are just looking for a fitness workout, play players in odd positions, mix in youth players and make lots of subs and you can't tell anything from those. Then at some point in the preseason the matches get more focused, you start your strongest team and work on patterns and formations for the season.

It looks like the Shrewsbury match was one of the latter types and it is worrying that nothing has changed from last season.  

You're allowed to do whatever you like.

My point was I don't see why people get themselves so worked up, in either direction, about games that don't mean anything.

And you can't seriously be claiming we started our strongest team? Again I don't think it makes much difference, but it was, at best, a half team.

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You're allowed to do whatever you like.

My point was I don't see why people get themselves so worked up, in either direction, about games that don't mean anything.

And you can't seriously be claiming we started our strongest team? Again I don't think it makes much difference, but it was, at best, a half team.

I can't speak for everyone who was critical of the match but I am not 'worked up' myself. 

I am critical of the lack of creativity we are showing in the attacking third of the pitch and believe it needs to be addressed before the season starts or we will struggle to another mid table finish. 

Certainly a game of 2 Villas.

Before the change up, it looked likely we would keep a clean sheet and maybe nick a goal.

After the change, it became the all too familiar shit show, but at least we can learn from it. For example, we learnt that Hutton is not a centre back. Richards cannot be utilised in any form whatsoever on the pitch. He is a liability. I liked Amavi for the first half of last season, but I am disappointed as to how shit he has become. I am also so disappointed that we put so much effort into signing Johnstone on loan again. He is awful, and there are so many better out there. His clean sheets were more due to Chester and Baker's efforts last season, and Terry and Chester's efforts in the first half. I wouldn't trust him to save the last doughnut. On a cheery note, Green deserves to be in the first 11. He played well, and deserves a place.

Anyhoo, I still remain confident this season, as we now know what not to do.

Well that was fun to watch - again. We look like last season, with the exception of Terry, who is in a class of his own.

If Kodjia does well, we'll score about as many as last season.

Â