Finally...Diving and Faking an injury will be punished

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Any punishment after the match has concluded is welcomed, but surely by that point the damage has already been done (i.e. diving for a penalty late in the game giving your team the 3 points)

I STILL don't see why it can't reviewed during the game. If the referee blows for a penalty, review it within 1 minute, if the penalty was gained via simulation then send the player off and the opposing team gets a free-kick instead.

Yep, as much as a clearing that Allardyce is, I'm with him on this, and support the sin bin treatment for divers in the game it actually happens in. The 4th Official can bring it to the refs attention as the game progresses if need be without stopping the game for a formal review.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see how it's implemented.

During that weekend of the Rashford/Sane/Kane dives, there was very split opinion on the Kane dive.  Personally, I thought he dived - he got a tap to the leg and threw himself to the ground afterwards.  He wasn't impeded.  However, many commentators think the penalty was legitimate because "there was contact" and he had the right to go down.  The incident is here:

There's a similar comment in this article ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39969813 ) whereby:

The following is McDonald's (SM) exchange with journalist Graham Spiers (GS).

SM: "It's not diving when there is contact, I wasn't diving."

GS: "Scott, if I get your argument right, and I've heard it from various footballers. The point you're making is if there is contact, you're entitled to take advantage of it and go down. is that correct?"

SM: "Yes"

GS: "Right, some people call that a dive. You don't need to go down…"

SM: "Let's get it right though, I'm not dragging my leg out or trying to make contact. Contact has to be made on my movement."

GS: "You don't need to go down though do you? But you take advantage of it and you do go down, so let's be clear about that as well. It's diving."

SM: "How is it diving if there is contact?"

GS: "Because you say you take advantage of it. You could stay on your feet."

SM: "So you slide in on me and you don't get the ball. I take it past you but you make contact. You want me to stay on my feet at that point. If I can?"

GS: "If it's very obvious you're diving…"

SM: (interrupts): "It's a split-second, it's not even really a decision. There will be occasions where you know you are not going to get the ball on the other side. If there is fair contact made then you're well within your rights in the law of the game to take the contact."

GS: "The nub of it is this strange phrase 'I felt I was entitled to go down'. I find it's glaringly obvious. Why deny it?"

SM: "But let's stop denying it - you're calling me a cheat, Graham, that's the difference."

How do they sort this out?

12 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Any punishment after the match has concluded is welcomed, but surely by that point the damage has already been done (i.e. diving for a penalty late in the game giving your team the 3 points)

I STILL don't see why it can't reviewed during the game. If the referee blows for a penalty, review it within 1 minute, if the penalty was gained via simulation then send the player off and the opposing team gets a free-kick instead.

I think you'll find that they will err on the side of the refs decision anyway and even it is a dive if theres the slightest form of contact made then they wont change it. An example is the Vardy one last season where he was booked for diving. if the ref had given a pen it would not have been overturned because there was contact even if Vardy initiated it. 

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I still cannot believe that penalty was given. It is absolutely comical.

It was mark halsey, the same ref did us over numerous times, remember that quick Henry free kick at villa park? He also gave Arsenal a very dubious Penalty that day too. Hated having him ref our games

• Like 1

A great move in the right direction. A great example of a sport that has dealt well with this is Ice Hockey. In the NHL you will get suspended for embellishing and diving, and if you are a repeat offender you can get as much as 5-10 games out plus 20.000 dollar fines. If they can do it in a much faster, more violent sport we should be able to deal with it in football too.

17 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

It was mark halsey, the same ref did us over numerous times, remember that quick Henry free kick at villa park? He also gave Arsenal a very dubious Penalty that day too. Hated having him ref our games

Oh yes... that free kick. Still boils my wee to this very day. Because Mark Halsey suffered so badly with personal illness, it's kind of bad taste to try and belittle him. But for the record, I thought that when it came to officiating over Aston Villa, he was as crooked as Bo Peep's staff.

1 minute ago, Raver50032 said:

Oh yes... that free kick. Still boils my wee to this very day. Because Mark Halsey suffered so badly with personal illness, it's kind of bad taste to try and belittle him. But for the record, I thought that when it came to officiating over Aston Villa, he was as crooked as Bo Peep's staff.

What really irritated me about that incident was that Villa tried to do the same thing but Halsey said no,  wait for my whistle, bloody a-hole. 

• Like 1

This only works if they make high profile examples early on.

Rule changes can work, think of the introduction of keepers not being able to pick up back-passes and automatic reds for tackles from behind, they were implemented effectively and you see very little of either now.

Only works if they act with conviction though, no half arsed attempts and no being bullied by big clubs

11 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

I used to think that but I saw an interview with him with the Villa fan youtube page and I thought he came across alright in the interview and admitted he made mistakes at VP in the past. He was also having a joke about the Dublin headbutt as it was just before the derby

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

I used to think that but I saw an interview with him with the Villa fan youtube page and I thought he came across alright in the interview and admitted he made mistakes at VP in the past. He was also having a joke about the Dublin headbutt as it was just before the derby

I'm sure that he is a really nice guy - most people are when you get to see the real them. All I can comment on or react to is what I've seen.

I can't imagine that John Terry is a nice guy though :)

Â