Linux OS for Laptop

hippo

I have previously dabbled with Ubuntu OS on a laptop. It was was quite easy to install - I didn't like the way it handled file downloads and installs and for a home use was struggling to see an advantage of win 10 - which I eventually installed.

Whats the best Linux OS for home use 

Why and Linux OS'S immune from viruses ? - if Linux went mainstream would it attract more viruses...

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I have previously dabbled with Ubuntu OS on a laptop. It was was quite easy to install - I didn't like the way it handled file downloads and installs and for a home use was struggling to see an advantage of win 10 - which I eventually installed.

From a browser, file downloads ends up in the Downloads-folder per standard, what's the difference? Or are you talking about some other specific software.

When it comes to programs it's built around repositorys, much like Android or IOS. That's a preference thing I guess but it is quite handy to get all installs and upgrades from a verified source. Not just the OS itself

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I do prefer to use a distribution based on Debian/Ubuntu because the adaptation and support is much larger than the other ones. If not I'd go with a Redhat/Centos/Fedora distribution. Personally I like the Linux Mint. It's based on Debian and has in my mind a little more polished interface. For a ordinary user not hellbent on using Microsoft Office, a linux install will do everything.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Why and Linux OS'S immune from viruses ? - if Linux went mainstream would it attract more viruses...

They are not, and yes they would. The biggest problem with computers usually sits in front of them or the software running on them, and if Linux (and Macos for that matter) attracts a bigger userbase, the problems would increase. Thats not saying they are worse than Windows though.

• Like 1

There isn't a "best Linux". You'll need to describe your usage and what you expect from an OS. The same as for most threads in this forum :)

Ubuntu is the most widely used so you are most likely to be able to find help if you need it. Elementary is probably the one I'd recommend at the moment as an all-rounder.

Linux is no more resilient to viruses. However, the security model makes it harder for the virus to have the same impact as on Windows (which is why Apple's MacOS embraced with the same model). Time to fix tends to be much quicker and there are many more people who can scrutinise the code. Linux is already mainstream; most large web sites have their entire server farms running Linux. It's hard to attack. However, there is no defence against users doing stupid things.

I continue to recommend Chromebooks for almost all home users.

• Like 2

Interesting info been thinking exactly the same as the time has come when enough is enough from Mr Microsoft. It's fine at work on desktop but my experience on laptop at home has been less than pleasant. 

Was thinking about dabbling in Linux too as the OP but Chrombooks maybe a better option as I am no techy 

On 5/17/2017 at 08:19, hippo said:

There's no best just a matter of geek preference (there will always be disagreement) 

The age of your laptop might be a factor because some Linux distros are not as up to date with hardware as others (touchpads etc).

I would download a few different distros, and use a program like Rufus to try them on a bootable USB, and just give the 'live' versions a try.

If you want the desktop to have the same sort of look as Windows you might want to try Zorin which has a choice of windows-like desktops.

Linux Mint cinnamon also has a layout which will be familiar to Windows users.

Security is better I think because the of the different file system and the fact that there is no registry where everything is concentrated, to be attacked.

It is also easy to back-up with free software.

Â