Football Kits 2017/8

villa4europe

11 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Looks like every other Nike kit of the past 2 years ditto Chelsea's new one.

That's true as well. Chelsea's kits look identical, both home and away :lol:

Football shirts are moving closer and closer to just being t shirts (especially Nike) which is both bad and good. Good because they look much better for casual wear, especially national team shirts. But bad because well, football kits should be unique I would think.

the thing that amazes me is it looks like nike put more effort in to that tranbzponsor kit than the inter, psg, barca kits combined, roma always seem to get more effort

they're a weird mix between templates and bespoke and if the template is shit then none of the kits come off

I'm positive now that Nike forces clubs to simplify their crests. 

I suggested it on here after Everton got Nike and it was shot down. 

But that's now Villa, man city, Everton and spurs who, immediately or very soon after switching to Nike, get a simplified crest. And those are only the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

Plus Arsenal also did it a few years back but maybe not so immediately after going with Nike but I'm sure they had an influence.

Edited by Stevo985

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But that's now Villa, man city, Everton and spurs who, immediately or very soon after switching to Nike, get a simplified crest. And those are only the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

Plus Arsenal also did it a few years back but maybe not so immediately after going with Nike but I'm sure they had an influence.

Spurs simply have a shield around theirs, still the exact same crest. Everton's change was comical though. City is more of a throwback than a simplification...and a pretty good one I might add. This was their logo in the 70's and 80's

mcfc-badge-1972-76-300x300.png

The new one is a nice update of this.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 07:04, Keyblade said:

Spurs simply have a shield around theirs, still the exact same crest. Everton's change was comical though. City is more of a throwback than a simplification...and a pretty good one I might add. This was their logo in the 70's and 80's

mcfc-badge-1972-76-300x300.png

The new one is a nice update of this.

But all the changes seem to be a direct result of changing to Nike, and they all seem to make the badge "simpler". Sometimes it's a good thing, like the Man City example above. Sometimes it's not like our badge and Everton's badge.

I'm not really criticising it, just wondering why. 

Edited by Stevo985

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've heard a rumour about this before as well. Spurs badge last season (with UA) was stitched directly into the shirt, and its looks like it is made specifically for them. (same with the last Man City Umbro shirt)

With Nike, they can use their standard templates and (cheaply) stitch a pre-made shield badge onto pretty much anything, and then charge 50/60% more as Spurs official merchandise. I think the shield has been put around the Spurs cockerel to make this easier for Nike to do. Same with the (old) new Villa and Everton badges.

14 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've got an answer to this badge/crest conversation but it'll be long-winded and need pictures.

I'm on holiday and on my phone with crap reception so it'll have to wait. Should be able to shed some light on it though.

Prick-tease.

• Like 2

Generally sports design has been getting simpler and simpler for 15 years after the garish wackiness of the 80s and 90s. The Tottenham and Chelsea kits might be the most extreme examples i've seen of oversimplicity though.

Badges will naturally follow, especially with good design insisting that a logo required to meet such a wide range of display purposes be as scalable as possible.

Really looking forward to @NurembergVillan 's post on the matter. I'm fascinated by this sort of stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

look at these bad boys :puke: designed to put off opposition players apparently. That's such a smart idea just shame you are going to lose money because no one will buy them! 

Wycombe Wanderers' new home and away goalkeeping kits

3994295.jpg

Love it.  And earth calling @GarethRDR wherever you are you wonderful bastard.

If I saw that in the bargain bucket of a Champion Sports I'd buy the shit out of it.  Wouldn't pay top dollah though.

Also, you mention losing money cuz no-one will buy it.  I'd wager that the percentage of replica shirt sales that relate to goalkeeper jerseys is probably miniscule to start with, so even if you're right, they're losing relative buttons.

• Like 1