No mention of this big bloody world war 2 bomb found in Aston then?

leemond2008

I grew up on Priory Road, many, many years ago.

I am looking forward to finding out extactly where the bomb is so I can understand how far it might have been from our house.   

5 minutes ago, andyh said:

I am looking forward to finding out extactly where the bomb is so I can understand how far it might have been from our house.   

I'd just assumed it'd been waste ground since the war and that's why it's never been found, I didn't realise housing used to be there.

7 minutes ago, andyh said:

BOMB-SITE.jpg

Thats it, apparently.

My family is from Aston/Nechells, my nan actually lived in a house that was bombed during the raids on Birmingham. There'll be quite a few bombs around that part of Brum, it got hammered more than a few times.

There was a line of terraced houses that ran the length of one side of Priory Road.

On the opposite side was factory units up to half way along and a large play area further (tarmac football pitch - bloody brilliant with my Wembley trophy football) further along along.

We left 40 years ago when I was about 11, so I guess its seen some changes since then.         

Edited by andyh

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

BOMB-SITE.jpg

Thats it, apparently.

My family is from Aston/Nechells, my nan actually lived in a house that was bombed during the raids on Birmingham. There'll be quite a few bombs around that part of Brum, it got hammered more than a few times.

Thank for this, really appreciate it.

The suspect bomb site (now grassed) is directly underneath what was the tarmac'd footpball pitch.

Its a wonder it wasn't discovered or unearthed when they laid that pitch in the mid 70's, although I doubt they would have dug down very far.     

Took 55 minutes to get on the X5 back to Eddington from outside the square peg, just gotta see how it'll be now I'm actually on the bus, if you are heading out of town in that direction though it is pretty chaotic still

4 hours ago, Swerbs said:

Because of the Third Reich it took me 2 hours to get from town to Castle Brom yesterday :angry:

You want to complain mate. I've looked it up and Herman Goering is in charge of the Luftwaffe. Drop him a stern email and you might get some vouchers by way of compensation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyh said:

The suspect bomb site (now grassed) is directly underneath what was the tarmac'd footpball pitch.

Its a wonder it wasn't discovered or unearthed when they laid that pitch in the mid 70's, although I doubt they would have dug down very far.     

Or they just turned a blind eye to it?

"What's this Dave?" 

"Dunno... just tarmac over it!"

16 hours ago, andyh said:

It wasn't in that place it was in the other grassy area as that's where the construction site was. Crazy to think I literally walked past it everytime to work!

Â