Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Xela

Desert Island VillaTalk

Recommended Posts

Ok, bit of fun...

You are going to live on a remote island for a year for some reason. Let's say for an experiment in isolation. No internet or contact with the outside world. There is power, and running water and regular food/provisions delivered so you won't starve or start smelling like a dead badger. However, entertainment is hard to come by. So to combat boredom, you can take the following to keep you sane...

3x albums

3x books

3x films

1x tv boxset

1x extra entertainment object (could be a guitar, or a mountain bike, or a football, or a surfboard). Basically, something to pass the time.

So, what would be on your list?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

albums - whats the story morning glory, clash on broadway, AM

books - lord of the rings, romance of the 3 kingdoms, ian kershaw hitler

films - empire strikes back, the matrix, kill bill

tv - sopranos (maybe only fools and horses to keep my spirits up)

entertainment - i take it a laptop with football manager on it doesnt count? if not id take a massive amount of lego

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albums:

Exile on Cold Harbour Lane, Alabama 3

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake, Small Faces

Mr Perry I Presume, Lee Perry

Books:

Bible, various

Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

Absolute Beginners, Colin Macinnes

Film and TV:

not overly bothered, something like Fargo or B Bad

Entertainment:

Fleshlight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I refuse to play unless it's proper DID rules: 

Eight 'records' (in 2017 I interpret this to mean 'tracks')

One book (plus the Bible and Complete Works of Shakespeare)

One luxury (of no practical use, e.g. for escaping)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albums 

1- Nevermind - Nirvana

2- a Jimi Hendrix compilation made by me, hope that is allowed, if not, Electric Ladyland

3- Death From Above 1979- youre a woman I'm a machine 

books (not a big reader)

1- The Count of Monte Cristo

2- a survival on desert island / self sufficiency textbook

3- as Richard Richard, of Bottom would say: 'an art pamphlet' and by that you know what I'm talking about and it's not Abstract Expressionism Monthly, no , I'm talking blondes with huge baps and well never mind. And a big bumper edition too not some crappy thin mag. I'm taking a sh-- load taped together, phone book size. Whoa, probably bending the rules here. Still, you forced me into this corner and if they're all bound together that's technically one book innit chief? 

Boxset

Tje Sopranos

films 

the Shawshank Redemption

The Usual Suspects

Let The Right One In ( original Swedish one) 

Entertainment

Is Emma Watson allowed? I'm not talking a life sized cardboard cut out, I mean living breathing Emma Watson. Her stock has dropped recently and she may be up for a year off , promoting feminism on my island. Yeah. No? Well that's not fair you fascist! Ok well I have my art pamphlet... instead then yes please can I have a high RAM and fast processor laptop with Football Manager installed please (and a flight sim) but I need a mouse I hate trackpad. oh and two screens too, don't f--- about Xela now come on. I don't ask much. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xela said:

Ok, bit of fun...

You are going to live on a remote island for a year for some reason. Let's say for an experiment in isolation. No internet or contact with the outside world. There is power, and running water and regular food/provisions delivered so you won't starve or start smelling like a dead badger. However, entertainment is hard to come by. So to combat boredom, you can take the following to keep you sane...

3x albums

3x books

3x films

1x tv boxset

1x extra entertainment object (could be a guitar, or a mountain bike, or a football, or a surfboard). Basically, something to pass the time.

So, what would be on your list?

 

Your turn too Mr Xela...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

albums - whats the story morning glory, clash on broadway, AM

books - lord of the rings, romance of the 3 kingdoms, ian kershaw hitler

films - empire strikes back, the matrix, kill bill

tv - sopranos (maybe only fools and horses to keep my spirits up)

entertainment - i take it a laptop with football manager on it doesnt count? if not id take a massive amount of lego

Can my island be in swimming distance of this lad's please? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, I refuse to play unless it's proper DID rules: 

Eight 'records' (in 2017 I interpret this to mean 'tracks')

One book (plus the Bible and Complete Works of Shakespeare)

One luxury (of no practical use, e.g. for escaping)

 

Ever the purist :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The albums would be the 3 Cash compilations Love, Murder and God.

The books, the bible, a definitive book on the second world war and a teach yourself greek book. 

Films. Oceans 11 remake, charlies angels and superbad. 

Boxset. Seinfeld. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albums:

Enema of the State

What's the story morning glory

Stereophonics greatest hits 

Books:

Papillon 

Godfather

Sas survival handbook

Films:

Cool Runnings

Guarduans of the Galaxy

Lion King

Boxset:

GOT

Item: 

despite not playing for years the champ man idea does sound good. If not then a kayak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3x albums

Towns Van Zandt (self titled)

Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South

Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe

3x books

Dante - The Divine Comedy

The Exorcist

The Monk (by Matthew Lewis)

3x films

The Exorcist

Labyrinth

Highlander

1x tv boxset

Breaking Bad

1x extra entertainment object

I suppose it would be my guitar or my banjo

also, I'd take a car door...just in case I get too warm then I can wind the window down

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

3x albums

Towns Van Zandt (self titled)

Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South

Rory Gallagher - Live in Europe

3x books

Dante - The Divine Comedy

The Exorcist

The Monk (by Matthew Lewis)

3x films

The Exorcist

Labyrinth

Highlander

1x tv boxset

Breaking Bad

1x extra entertainment object

I suppose it would be my guitar or my banjo

also, I'd take a car door...just in case I get too warm then I can wind the window down

Bravo, sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ***** useless at these kind of things. Unless it was real and I was put on the spot then I wouldn't be able to choose, and even then I'd struggle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2017 at 10:29, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm ***** useless at these kind of things. Unless it was real and I was put on the spot then I wouldn't be able to choose, and even then I'd struggle.

Exactly. The Radio 4 DID show is really just a vehicle to get people to talk about their lives, using a few music tracks to hang the interview on.

Nobody who really loves music or books could stand being restricted to such a tiny selection - you'd end up hating all of them. 

Edited by mjmooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm ***** useless at these kind of things. Unless it was real and I was put on the spot then I wouldn't be able to choose, and even then I'd struggle.

It is real mate, we're coming to get you in an hour! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Xela said:

It is real mate, we're coming to get you in an hour! :D

We all going now then, great :D I've got an hour to do the drug run...what's everyone having

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly. The Radio 4 DID show is really just an vehicle to get people to talk about their lives, using a few music tracks to hang the interview on.

Nobody who really loves music or books could stand being restricted to such a tiny selection - you'd end up hating all of them. 

I'd feel guilty not taking one over the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly. The Radio 4 DID show is really just an vehicle to get people to talk about their lives, using a few music tracks to hang the interview on.

Nobody who really loves music or books could stand being restricted to such a tiny selection - you'd end up hating all of them. 

The thing about it is that if I really was stuck on a desert island would I want to take an album or a film that in reality if I closed my eyes and let my imagination take over I love that much and I've listened to / seen that many times before I could replay the whole thing in my head

youd want tot take a gamble on 3 things you'd never experienced before, I've never properly listened to Bowie, well being stuck on an island would be the chance to do it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd have to go big and cheat. Album 1 - the combined box set 12 disc best of the 1970s. Album 2 - The Best of Enya - Album 3 - the 12 disc best of the russian and polish composers. 

books 1. the complete works of bill shakespeare, 2. the complete works of pg wodehouse, 3. the complete works of francois rabelais. in french. - it'd take me a year to get through that, in between all the beach running. 

3 films: 1, the youtube DIY Collection - best of the 2010s - including how to get along with an insect and, introduction to beach yoga, 2: 12 Angry Men, 3: Shoah ( simply to make me grateful I wasn't in human company anytime I had a pang of loneliness ) 

tv boxset: the west wing

entertainment: a set of pens and paper for scribbles and writing - I'd have enough time to get to work on a novel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 x albums

Springsteen - The Essential (2 disc)

Blink 182 - Mark, Tom & Travis Show

RHCP - Stadium Arcadium

3x books

Discworld series (bit of a cheat)

Judge Dredd Case Files 05

Saga of the Exiles

3x films

Star Wars Complete Saga

Goonies

Alien/Aliens double feature DVD 

1x tv boxset

Californication

1x extra entertainment object

A4 Pad and set of coloured pencils 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â