Santorini

Demitri_C

OK I know I am Greek...

But first time going. Have a wedding in Crete end of August, me and the girlfriend have decided to take the boat over for the day (unfortunately not have enough time to stay there) wondering realistically what there is to do for the 7 hours we are there that's not too far away? Didn't realise how big the island actually is.

The volcano looks a lil far unfortunately so going to have to give that a miss, although I have done a bit of reading about these red and black beaches there.  

• Like 1

I got married there 3 years ago this summer. It's absolutely stunning.

The obvious places to go are Thira and Oia.  The latter is where you'll find the blue domed rooftops in "that" picture.

An insider tip is to visit Megalochori (that's where we stayed), and get something to eat at a restaurant called Feggera - http://www.feggera.gr/en/ It's in a great setting, and the food is all organic.  Great wines too.

On the terrace of an old mansion, in the heart of the traditional settlement of Megalochori, we created the “Feggera” Restaurant. The intimate atmosphere and the view from our terrace, combined with the original flavors of the Aegean Sea provides an enchanting experience to our patrons.

Brangelina stayed in the village there too, when he was filming something or other.  It's untouched, and doesn't attract the tourist hordes like Thira and Oia.  You could probably do one of those two and grab a lunch at Feggera too.  You'll score high on the romance chart with that place, trust me.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The obvious places to go are Thira and Oia.  The latter is where you'll find the blue domed rooftops in "that" picture.

An insider tip is to visit Megalochori (that's where we stayed), and get something to eat at a restaurant called Feggera - http://www.feggera.gr/en/ It's in a great setting, and the food is all organic.  Great wines too.

Brangelina stayed in the village there too, when he was filming something or other.  It's untouched, and doesn't attract the tourist hordes like Thira and Oia.  You could probably do one of those two and grab a lunch at Feggera too.  You'll score high on the romance chart with that place, trust me.

Sounds amazing mate. Sounds like a terrific honeymoon! Take it the Mrs enjoyed it? Been reading about Mia. How far is that to get to from the  port? Is there also a beach there?

On 5/8/2017 at 22:15, NurembergVillan said:

I got engaged last weekend and we're going to be getting married abroad, Santorini has came up as one of the possibilities. Just curious, did you book it as a package or all separately? Seems quite difficult to get any information online so no idea where to start!

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Dem)

1 hour ago, Nath182 said:

I got engaged last weekend and we're going to be getting married abroad, Santorini has came up as one of the possibilities. Just curious, did you book it as a package or all separately? Seems quite difficult to get any information online so no idea where to start!

(Sorry to hijack your thread, Dem)

Congrats!  Here's a heads up, but feel free to DM me and we can have a natter and not balls up this thread!

We used a wedding planner and started off with a package which we then amended to our needs.  Initially we liked the look of it being beautiful, great weather, and better value but a few months before the wedding I accepted a role in Canada so the whole thing became a farewell party as well as a wedding and, to be honest, we went absolutely apeshit with it!

We had a lounge/dancefloor built on the beach for the day, we had a DJ and a live band, we put on a free bar for a few hours, we flew a photographer and film crew in from London, we stayed in a mediaeval villa...  It was pretty extravagant, but the message here is that it's really easy to keep adding things to your wedding.  So the price of the package is great, but it'll all depend on what you and your good lady (or fella!) want.  Also some things are harder to get.  The Mrs wanted Photo Booth thing setting up, but there just weren't any on the island.  The flip side is that the accommodation and travel for all our guests was way more affordable than many of the other locations.

We used a company called Ionian Weddings based down in Richmond.  They were superb.  They've won multiple awards for what they do, and are really competitive too.  We went down to meet them, but in reality we didn't need to and everything was managed by phone and email until we got there when they had a planner on the ground for us.

Here's their website for you CLICK HERE

Multi Award Winning business including the British Travel Award for Best Small Wedding & Honeymoons Company 2015, voted for by the public

And here's the "music video" we had created for the day because, well, because I'm a dickhead and I like spending money I haven't got :hooray:

• Like 3

On 09/05/2017 at 07:19, Demitri_C said:

Sounds amazing mate. Sounds like a terrific honeymoon! Take it the Mrs enjoyed it? Been reading about Mia. How far is that to get to from the  port? Is there also a beach there?

We honeymooned in Mykonos.  A business associate told me she had a house there we could use.  When we got there it turned out to be a multi-million pound villa with views out across the bay and Mykonos town.  Infinity pool, the lot.  It was like the set of a hip hop video!

I honestly couldn't tell you loads about the island beyond Megalochori as we were flat out planning the wedding, having the wedding, and recovering from the wedding.  Dunno if you'd want to go to Santorini just for a beach day though.  You really want to look around and take it all in.  It's so, so beautiful.

Just got back from a week there, island is beautiful and everything you imagine from the postcards and idyllic images you see.

however be careful of the wind speed at Thira Airport as like us you could be delayed by 26 hours if the cross winds are over 20 knots.  On Saturday night all 6 planes were diverted to Heraklion meaning c1,000 people were crammed into the tiny airport.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

i) I'm very jealous

ii) Go to that Feggera restaurant in Megalochori.  It's class.

Thanks mate, had a look online looks very good. Will check that restaurant out and let you know! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Santorini what a beautiful place. OMG breathtaking views such a lovely place. Did thira and oia wow. Thanks @NurembergVillan for that suggestion was glorious!

@Stevo985 if your thinking of a couples break still here, i would definitely recommend it. I think 3-4 days is ideal then get the boat over to crete (heraklion) for a few days if you wanted to do a week or so.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Me and Mrs T spent 11 nights in Santorini, back last week. As said a beautiful island

We stayed at a hotel in Magalachori (Caldera Dolphin Suites) small boutique hotel 13 rooms, all with magnificent sea views. Its far enough off the beaten track to have peace and quiet. But close enough to be 20 minutes ish by car to all the top sites (look it up on trip advisor). If your going Oia go in the morning before 5,000 people arrive on their cruise ships. Be sure to visit The Cave of Nikolas an amazing restaurant on the waters edge.

BEWARE and be prepared for the worse airport in the world . One baggage conveyor. You have to queue up out side as they deal with one plane at a time.  Coming home is a nightmare, one or two blokes on passport control dealing with every flight, again you will be queuing out side and then when you get in its a bloody free for all. Ask when its your turn to join the queue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2018 at 09:42, Robtaylor200 said:

Me and Mrs T spent 11 nights in Santorini, back last week. As said a beautiful island

We stayed at a hotel in Magalachori (Caldera Dolphin Suites) small boutique hotel 13 rooms, all with magnificent sea views. Its far enough off the beaten track to have peace and quiet. But close enough to be 20 minutes ish by car to all the top sites (look it up on trip advisor). If your going Oia go in the morning before 5,000 people arrive on their cruise ships. Be sure to visit The Cave of Nikolas an amazing restaurant on the waters edge.

BEWARE and be prepared for the worse airport in the world . One baggage conveyor. You have to queue up out side as they deal with one plane at a time.  Coming home is a nightmare, one or two blokes on passport control dealing with every flight, again you will be queuing out side and then when you get in its a bloody free for all. Ask when its your turn to join the queue. 

I'd never fly there its airport is notorious for being dreadful. Fly to heraklion and get the boat over and do a overnight stay on when you have to go back.

Â