Best thing you ever bought?

Genie

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

1988 a bus ticket from Donnington to Telford town centre. I met my wife for the first time that day. 

Excellent. How did you meet her? Was it just a chance meeting or was it a first date?

Ooooh good question. Quite a few things...

1. Fake ID like @Genie. A must when you were 16/17 and looked much younger. 

2. For pure enjoyment in my teenage years - Championship Manager 2 in circa 1996 on my PC

3. Music wise, the (What's the Story) Morning Glory CD. Played it to death. Seminal album.

4, 1989 BMW E30 325i Sport - loved that car and regret selling it in 2006. 

5. My apartment. Been a great investment so far.

6. My Spotify premium subscription. 

7. My flight tickets to my first trip to Asia. Amazing memories. To think I wasn't that fussed about going to begin with. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Excellent. How did you meet her? Was it just a chance meeting or was it a first date?

I was meeting a friend at his workplace and he worked with her. Without question I fell in love with her immediately.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Next Saturday's winning lottery ticket. :)

My house. The amount it's gone up is eye watering.

Ok this one is lame in comparison. Back in about 2005 I was quite fit ran quite a lot, gym rat in central Manc. Back then I had a Sports Direct voucher. Spent it on a pair of Asics Gel Kayano just because I liked the look of them. About £120 they were. Crazy looking back. 

Anyway, 2017, I still wear these trainers for all sorts and they're in great condition. They're like slippers and really bouncy and if it wasn't for these I'd probably have knackered ankles by now. But these have travelled internationally, and taken a beating exercise wise for years and still have years left in them. I even (a few years ago) bought the exact same pair again and archived them in the loft for about a third of the price new off eBay and haven't even dug them out yet but will when I move. These bad boys, which I'm wearing in garden right now, have lasted through the ages and even though I don't exercise as I once did, are THE most comfortable footwear I have ever had. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Ok this one is lame in comparison. Back in about 2005 I was quite fit ran quite a lot, gym rat in central Manc. Back then I had a Sports Direct voucher. Spent it on a pair of Asics Gel Kayano just because I liked the look of them. About £120 they were. Crazy looking back. 

Anyway, 2017, I still wear these trainers for all sorts and they're in great condition. They're like slippers and really bouncy and if it wasn't for these I'd probably have knackered ankles by now. But these have travelled internationally, and taken a beating exercise wise for years and still have years left in them. I even (a few years ago) bought the exact same pair again and archived them in the loft for about a third of the price new off eBay and haven't even dug them out yet but will when I move. These bad boys, which I'm wearing in garden right now, have lasted through the ages and even though I don't exercise as I once did, are THE most comfortable footwear I have ever had. 

You can never underestimate the value of the perfect shoe, if you are lucky to find them.

I have broad duck feet with high arches, and the only shoes that seem to cater for them are the Nike Pegasus. Other shoes either don't feel right, or I destroy them by blowing them out in the sides within 6 months, but these bad boys at least last me a few years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AJ said:

You can never underestimate the value of the perfect shoe, if you are lucky to find them.

I have broad duck feet with high arches, and the only shoes that seem to cater for them are the Nike Pegasus. Other shoes either don't feel right, or I destroy them by blowing them out in the sides within 6 months, but these bad boys at least last me a few years.

Agreed 100%. I've worn thes damn things for 12 years , OK doesn't go with a suit or casual outfit but behind closed doors these things are a life saver. Used to use them for running and gym, more so home gym recently and daily knock about wear, but a good pair of trainers is a must. Future proofed too with a "new" backup pair, unworn, but fair play Asics you're a star whoever you are , for someone with "clicky ankles" damn thes are the remedy and a half. But yeah, quite sadly a pair of knackered trainers is best I can contribute to this thread. 

Can't even find a pic but these monstrosities are close. Anyway yeah these 

71hu6QPrhSL._UX395_.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Agreed 100%. I've worn thes damn things for 12 years , OK doesn't go with a suit or casual outfit but behind closed doors these things are a life saver. Used to use them for running and gym, more so home gym recently and daily knock about wear, but a good pair of trainers is a must. Future proofed too with a "new" backup pair, unworn, but fair play Asics you're a star whoever you are , for someone with "clicky ankles" damn thes are the remedy and a half. But yeah, quite sadly a pair of knackered trainers is best I can contribute to this thread. 

Can't even find a pic but these monstrosities are close. Anyway yeah these 

71hu6QPrhSL._UX395_.jpg

I notice the higher heel section. That would be handy for those who need more ankle support.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AJ said:

I notice the higher heel section. That would be handy for those who need more ankle support.

Plays hell with yer achilles if you suffer from tendinitis though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AJ said:

To be honest I knew nothing about them and just went along with the purchase as I liked them and felt good to walk in when trying them on, but yeah as you say, the ankle support are good on these. Probably just as good as similar trainers for a tenner, but many years on still going strong , thousand of KM walked / ran , and you know with trainers it gets to e point after while you can't even be arsed undoing the laces, and you get to that point of trainer / shoe disregard / neglect where being lazy just sliding them off and roughly putting them on, the actual shape of the back and heel despite that is still entirely intact and unf------up, still after all this time, still slippers still serious active shoe. I dont work for Asics by the always just saying.

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Plays hell with yer achilles if you suffer from tendinitis though. 

I would agree, but everyone's feet are different.

Finding the perfect shoes though, is bliss. It also makes shoe shopping much easier, because you know well what you want.

• Like 1

I think this thread is brilliant.

Maybe it's my age but it makes me really think about what's valuable. We spend so much of our time obsessing about money and work, and how to make more money. We/I should really spend more time reflecting on what we spend the money we have - on and how that impacts us.

For me, I was determined after my dad died to travel before I was too sick to do it later in life, so I booked a round the world ticket for me and my (just married) wife. We hiked to see gorillas in Rwanda, saw river crossings in the Northern Serengeti, visited temples in Myanmar and rode motorbikes across Vietnam. Hands down that is absolutely the best money I've ever spent. Travel is definitely my drug of choice.

Then on page 2 of the thread @dAVe80 starts going on about his spank mags, and the rest of the page descends into talking about high arches and trainers.

Oh VT: from the transcendent to the ridiculous in just a few posts.

• Like 3

1984 Fender Stratocaster, brand new, in the box, for $100. A guitar shop in San Jose were selling them off. Yes, like all the great guitars I have ever owned, like an idiot, I sold it and have regretted it ever since. It was 1984 but it was still very very cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Maybe it's my age but it makes me really think about what's valuable. We spend so much of our time obsessing about money and work, and how to make more money. We/I should really spend more time reflecting on what we spend the money we have - on and how that impacts us.

For me, I was determined after my dad died to travel before I was too sick to do it later in life, so I booked a round the world ticket for me and my (just married) wife. We hiked to see gorillas in Rwanda, saw river crossings in the Northern Serengeti, visited temples in Myanmar and rode motorbikes across Vietnam. Hands down that is absolutely the best money I've ever spent. Travel is definitely my drug of choice.

Then on page 2 of the thread @dAVe80 starts going on about his spank mags, and the rest of the page descends into talking about high arches and trainers.

That trip sounds awesome, and I would agree with you there about travelling.

I would disagree with the rest of your post though. Sometimes the little things can make a difference. As for Dave's spank mags, who are we to judge and measure the happiness he gets from them?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Hey, if I didn't lower the tone, someone else would have (probably Rugeley or Rob). I just got in there first. I'm not even joking all that much either. As a 13 year old boy, it was the best money I'd ever spent up to that point.

• Like 2

Yeah probably my house.

I regretted it for years. I bought it when I was 24, so I couldn't afford anything amazing and it meant I ploughed all my money into it every month, leaving me with very little disposable income. At a time in my life when all my mates were going out every week, I was having to pass very regularly due to lack of funds.

It's been worth it though. When I think of how much Equity I have in it now it makes me happy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

My first scud mag, when I were a lad. I damn near pulled my cock off.

Halcyon days pal. I remember mine. Whitehouse magazine. It was stronger than some as it actually showed 'pink'. 

• Like 2

Â