Promotion 2017/18: What does it require?

Tubby

On 5/7/2017 at 15:02, Frank Raphael said:

Win the first game.

I don't think that'll get us promoted but it'd be a good start. ;)

FWIW If Sam Johnstone is our number 1 this season then I think we will concede far too many goals to be in contention. We desperately need a good, solid, experienced keeper as a matter of urgency. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I don't think that'll get us promoted but it'd be a good start. ;)

FWIW If Sam Johnstone is our number 1 this season then I think we will concede far too many goals to be in contention. We desperately need a good, solid, experienced keeper as a matter of urgency. 

If Terry does not rate him i'm sure he would let Bruce aware

/

I think we need goals and resilience to get promoted.

I don't care how we get promoted as long as this happens. 

Hogan, Jk, McCormack. 

Grealish, Hourihane, Adoma, Lansbury

Get two out of the top group and three out of the bottom, playing well, consistently and we will piss this league 

On 07/05/2017 at 15:09, NottingVilla said:

I'm going to avoid saying the obvious as there's plenty on that already. What we do need however is a ringer!

A what you say? A Shelvey, a Knockaert. The two top promoted clubs went up because of these two players. A player who of this standard. Premier League ilk but playing for us.

What we got this season were loads of 'decent' Championship players. Find a ringer, pay him well. The single most effective thing we can do.

One decent player is better than 5 average players. Scout the top leagues for him. Do it now.

So, John Terry? Job done!

..And maybe throw in Glenn Whelan and Elmohamadamadingdong.

I'd like to see us start the season with the following

Johnstone

Hutton - Terry - Chester - Taylor

Lansbury - Hourihane

Bjarnason - McCormack - Grealish

Hogan

Really give the Hull game a go, put them to the sword and announce ourselves as back and ready to win the league. We have a good, strong and varied squad to allow us to change tactics and formations to suit the opposition and approach we need for each game. We have a good coaching set up with an experienced, honest manager. 

I'm very hopeful and relaxed going into this season. Everything is in place and everyone knows what needs to be done. Can't wait to see this squad tear a few teams apart 

On 09/07/2017 at 22:42, Rob182 said:

So, John Terry? Job done!

..And maybe throw in Glenn Whelan and Elmohamadamadingdong.

We need that elusive 'attacking' ringer. Having a defensive one is great (if you still believe JT has it, which is up for debate) but you aren't going to get promoted with loads of 0-0's.

On 10/07/2017 at 02:31, skarroki said:

I'd like to see us start the season with the following

Johnstone

Hutton - Terry - Chester - Taylor

Lansbury - Hourihane

Bjarnason - McCormack - Grealish

Hogan

Really give the Hull game a go, put them to the sword and announce ourselves as back and ready to win the league. We have a good, strong and varied squad to allow us to change tactics and formations to suit the opposition and approach we need for each game. We have a good coaching set up with an experienced, honest manager. 

I'm very hopeful and relaxed going into this season. Everything is in place and everyone knows what needs to be done. Can't wait to see this squad tear a few teams apart 

I really fail to see why Bjarnason should be in the starting line up unless he plays a number of blinders in the next few pre season games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I really fail to see why Bjarnason should be in the starting line up unless he plays a number of blinders in the next few pre season games.

This was posted before pre-season games had started and I was going off his previous form with a title-winning champions league side. 

Edited by skarroki

1 hour ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

It requires us to acknowledge that we are not entitled to promotion, and respecting every team that we face. 

We do have better players than the other teams, but we don't have the work ethic.

Yes. We certainly need a better work ethic, something that comraderie should bring. I'm glad we haven't overhauled this summer. Now get them motivated and hungry for winning.

We need a new midfield enforcer, a new striker, a new goalkeeper and a proper winger. Then, and only then will I believe we can compete for the top 6. 

I have to confess, I made a few comments about the importance of getting a solid keeper, which I still stand by, but I am now of the opinion that it's a bit further down the list of priorities than I thought. Not that we don't need one, just that we need strengthening in other areas drastically.

If we get it right in this window then there is no reason why we can't give it a go and try to get amongst the play off hopefuls.

Problem is though, I can't see us bringing the right players in. For whatever reason. 

Erm all the Gods known to mankind?

It's tough at the moment because the players are still struggling to gel as a cohesive team. I think we are strong defensively. but beyond our back four were decent..i guess.. but I don't think are good enough. We have one of the slowest teams in the league. We lack pace and direct play. I am not expecting possession football in this league. But what i am expecting is a higher tempo and being effective. 

We play at such a low tempo we are yet;

1) We do not have the players to fulfil this.

2). Lack the creativity.

3) Lack the discipline and awareness to follow this through.

Surely Bruce needs to go direct if we have any chance of promotion. We need some pace on the wings and a big man up top. It may not be pretty but it is very effective.  If Bruce wants to play two up top that is fine, but we need a target man, and we need to be strong on both flanks. 

We have so many different types of players for different systems they are struggling to adapt and play to the level that were previously playing before joining us.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 1

For me, we need the following.

1:- A backup to Jedinak who has legs to cover the gap between the back four and midfield. If Whelan is the man, I think its a very good signing no matter how unglamorous he may be.

2:- A top quality winger. Green is promising and Adomah on is day can cause problems, but we need a consistent outlet to stretch our play. Players like Bjarnason, and Grealish can be good squad players but they should never be played in the position. Elmohammody is supposedly coming in but I'd hope that is as a backup as again he is not good enough.

3:- A physical striker who can bring our midfielders into the game more. If Kodjia is injured, we have Hogan who I have serious doubts and isn't suited to that role and Gabby who although can do a job is not good enough if we want to get promoted. Newcastle, Huddersfield and Brighton all had that option last year and they all got promoted. 

This is addition to our team actually playing as a team which I just can't see happening right now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just win bloody games. Everytime I saw Newcastle last season they looked pretty average, Especially at home. But they had a knack of winning games. 

That's all I care about. Win games and get us promoted. I don't care how you do it. 

ditto

Â